PDA

View Full Version : Sampras Wants To Appear In An Exhibition Against Federer???

MirkoMecir
07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
From article:
Instead of disappearing, Sampras even wants to appear in an exhibition against Federer.

"I heard some rumbling, some people might be trying to put something together," Sampras said. "I would welcome it. Just for the sport. I'm still hitting the ball well enough where I can at least compete against him a little bit. He'd probably tune me up pretty good. He's busy with his priorities and I don't blame him. But it could happen if we want it to happen."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jeffcol0722.artjul22,0,3002022.column?page=2&coll=hc-headlines-sports
================================================== ==========

Is Pete for real here??? I somehow get the feeling when I read his comments that he seems to desperately want to prove that he's better than Federer or something. After all, he recently made comments that he would give Federer tough matches and beat him a few times if they played in the same era, which is probably true, but is it really necessary to say so now when it can't be proven? If Federer played him in an exhibition, Roger would have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Let's say Roger gives up 3 games to Pete, then there will be people saying "Ooo, Pete took a few games off Roger, so peak Sampras would beat peak Federer, yada yada yada". If Roger feeds him some bread products - bagels/breadsticks - it'll be ho hum, Sampras is old anyway.

Well, if it happens, I hope Roger shows no mercy and drops a double-bagel on him as an appetizer before feeding him some humble pie.

FH2FH
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
The key word is exhibition. On the tour, Rog would eat him like apple pie. Older, retired players are much slower. After 30 mins of running side to side, Fed would throw the knockout punches. 6-2, 6-1, (6-0).

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
He better trains a lot harder. He got bageled yesterday at team tennis. He has the worst record among all single team tennis players this season so far.

chiru
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
yeah why is he suckin it so hard in team? i mean hes playing crappy players. youd think one of the GOATS if not the GOAT would've gotten his act togethor before he tried to play pros again, but he sucks!

Polvorin
07-24-2006, 02:48 PM
The people interviewing Pete are constantly asking him to compare himself to Federer, it's not like he just does it out of insecurity or anything.

KBalla08
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
ugh he better not suck tonite, im leaving soon for houston vs newport, and he better not suck

Mick
07-24-2006, 02:54 PM
The people interviewing Pete are constantly asking him to compare himself to Federer, it's not like he just does it out of insecurity or anything.
Don't know about Pete Sampras at 24 vs. Roger Federer at 24 but Pete Sampras at 35 is no match for Roger Federer at 24.

vkartikv
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
All this talk about the GOAT has got Pete going. He wants to come back one last time and show everyone he is better than Fed. Unfortunately he is in dreamland.

Of all the retired pros, only Edberg/Courier look to be able to compete with todays's pros.

norcal
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
How much would Fed have to be paid to throw a set to Sampras?

slice bh compliment
07-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Fundamentally, I'm not big on exhibitions, but I hope they somehow get it together this winter.

Guaranteed three-set exo ('cause Roger gets it).
Big money for charity. Incredible PR.
First break to RF...then he runs out the 1st set 6-3. Allows Pete some rhythm in the 2nd set and throws a couple points in the breaker.
Third set, casual until 4-all, then RF takes over.

fallen.
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
i dunno, but i'm about to see him play mardy fish in an hour or two!

arosen
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Geez, people make it sound like they never played before. They did, Roge won in a close one. Pete was fit and on top of his game, on his fav surface, and he still lost. He probably wants to play Fed just out of curiousity, to see what Fed has become since they last played.

!Tym
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
All this talk about the GOAT has got Pete going. He wants to come back one last time and show everyone he is better than Fed. Unfortunately he is in dreamland.

Of all the retired pros, only Edberg/Courier look to be able to compete with todays's pros.

Actually, I think the top tier on the seniors tour could be very competitive with today's players. The key difference being that the difference between their bad and good days will much more dramatic than when they were training regularly and in peak physical condition. In other words, give the top seniors guys a best of five series of matches, and there'd probably be a good chance that a few of those meetings might be out and out blowouts, but within that series, there will for sure be a scattered few matches that would end up being very competitive in my opinion.

That's how Martina Navratalova desribed aging, and I think quite accurately. She said as you get older, the biggest difference isn't necessarily that you can't have good days anymore, it's just that fewer in between and the body won't allow you to string good performances together anymore.

Even with Sampras, he'd probably get blown out four out of five times, especially because he in particular is pretty woefully out of shape, but one of those matches he'll "find it." Probably wouldn't win, but he'd show enough glimpses where he'd be encouraged and start thinking, hey, it's coming back!

Dopke
07-24-2006, 03:12 PM
yeah why is he suckin it so hard in team? i mean hes playing crappy players. youd think one of the GOATS if not the GOAT would've gotten his act togethor before he tried to play pros again, but he sucks!

Whats GOAT?

!Tym
07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
And for the record, they SHOULD do this exo. Federer simply isn't bringing the ratings in. I mean it'd be like saying, oh, hey let's have Kobe take on MJ one-on-one for an exhibition. Of course, it's just an exo, but the real point is that the GAME wins. It would draw immense hype, whether staged or not.

Tennis is a dying sport in my opinion, ESPECIALLY in the US. It needs something like this to get people to take even a passing notice, maybe not quite like Riggs vs. King, but in a way, yes, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

It's like Gracie vs. Hughes, because of the marketing, even the casual fan was drawn-in. It's a smart strategy designed to broaden fan base for a sport trying to gain popularity, it wasn't a match that was put on so much because the organizers thought hey the old legend who's been sitting on his laurels would realistically have a very good chance of defeating the young lion in the buck of his youth.

fastdunn
07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Has Federer done any exo last 3 years or so ?
He seems to be very focus on tour competition only....

Moose Malloy
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Tennis is a dying sport in my opinion, ESPECIALLY in the US. It needs something like this to get people to take even a passing notice, maybe not quite like Riggs vs. King, but in a way, yes, it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Federer simply isn't bringing the ratings in.

Sampras' sure as hell didn't bring in the ratings in either. A sampras-federer exo would be a non-event, except on these boards.

The only exho that would get people to take notice would be Serena/Venus vs mac.

and maybe Mac-Federer(which I'd much rather see)

fishuuuuu
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Whats GOAT?

GOAT or G.O.A.T. means (The) Greatest of All Time.

Marat Safinator
07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Whats GOAT?

greatest of all time

Mick
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Actually, I think the top tier on the seniors tour could be very competitive with today's players. The key difference being that the difference between their bad and good days will much more dramatic than when they were training regularly and in peak physical condition. In other words, give the top seniors guys a best of five series of matches, and there'd probably be a good chance that a few of those meetings might be out and out blowouts, but within that series, there will for sure be a scattered few matches that would end up being very competitive in my opinion.

That's how Martina Navratalova desribed aging, and I think quite accurately. She said as you get older, the biggest difference isn't necessarily that you can't have good days anymore, it's just that fewer in between and the body won't allow you to string good performances together anymore.

Even with Sampras, he'd probably get blown out four out of five times, especially because he in particular is pretty woefully out of shape, but one of those matches he'll "find it." Probably wouldn't win, but he'd show enough glimpses where he'd be encouraged and start thinking, hey, it's coming back!

I disagree with Martina because i don't think a 35 years old person can move as fast as a 24 years old person, and in competitive Tennis, if you can't move well, you cannot win matches.

d_frank
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
sampras v. agassi would be the match to bring ratings in.

callitout
07-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I wanna see a Casius Clay v. Sonny Liston rematch.

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM
wow that matchup would be sweet

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
this is funny, you really think they're going ALL out in WTT??? only the younger and up and coming players are really giving it their all... these older retired tour players are just to show face... give em a break... they proved theirselves before to be good to great players

give me a break... playing lets, playing on a multi-colored court, having fans blow horns during points... ya that's REALLY SERIOUS TENNIS!

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
this is funny, you really think they're going ALL out in WTT??? only the younger and up and coming players are really giving it their all... these older retired tour players are just to show face... give em a break... they proved theirselves before to be good to great players

give me a break... playing lets, playing on a multi-colored court, having fans blow horns during points... ya that's REALLY SERIOUS TENNIS!

Sampras shouldn't even lose a set to them let alone actually lose a match. Look at John Mcenroe, he managed to WIN in an ATP tournament at his age. This is someone who has older, slower, has a much weaker serve, and doesn't have the big groundstrokes that Sampras does.

Nadal-inator
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
sampras is a funny story...he wouldnt get a game off federer...he didnt make that many returns in WTT and those serves arent even as hard as Federer's...so I dont know maybe ANDRE should challenge him instead

BaseLineBash
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Before this thread really goes to hell I want to clarify something. During Sampras' exo against Ginepri, Pete said that yes he would like to play an exo against Fed.....but he also said he would need a couple of months to get fit and to clean out the rust. If Pete got another chance to play Federer you better believe Pete would bring the best he has to offer exo or not.

KBalla08
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
sampras hasnt played in forever till this year, give him a break... hes training and stuff so he'll be good. i saw him tonite at WTT in houston and he was playing well. he didnt shank any backhands and served beautifully.

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
lol u guys talk like u know tennis like a pro, my buddy who plays on tour as well thinks you're a moron lmfao

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Sampras shouldn't even lose a set to them let alone actually lose a match. Look at John Mcenroe, he managed to WIN in an ATP tournament at his age. This is someone who has older, slower, has a much weaker serve, and doesn't have the big groundstrokes that Sampras does.

did you read? some of these guys take it much more seriously than others... WTT is like harlem globe trotters... they just show boat and don't really try... but some do because to them winning is everything

laurie
07-25-2006, 03:51 AM
I think the Courier exhibition match will be a better pointer as to where Sampras is going with his game and fitness.

FH2FH
07-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I think Pete has just missed tennis. He wouldn't go into a Fed-Sampras exhibition thinking of winning; he just wants to see the magic in person. He is saying to the latest Great, "Show me you got game" and let's make some fans happy. Does he miss the spotlight now? Probably, but I doubt he has ANY serious aspirations or illusions about playing on the tour again.

katarddx
07-25-2006, 04:51 AM
lol u guys talk like u know tennis like a pro, my buddy who plays on tour as well thinks you're a moron lmfao
tell your buddy to stick it in your A@$!

SydneyJim
07-25-2006, 06:17 AM
tell your buddy to stick it in your A@$!

he wants to beat the living pooo outa u lol

fallen.
07-25-2006, 10:10 AM
sampras played against gambil in wtt and lost.. but won in doubles with leach. i got a sampras bobblehead and a ball signed by him.. pretty cool

laurie
07-25-2006, 10:15 AM
sampras played against gambil in wtt and lost.. but won in doubles with leach. i got a sampras bobblehead and a ball signed by him.. pretty cool

Good for you.

FedererUberAlles
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Congrats!

SydneyJim
07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Good for you.

that was so nice lol

quest01
07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
The key word is exhibition. On the tour, Rog would eat him like apple pie. Older, retired players are much slower. After 30 mins of running side to side, Fed would throw the knockout punches. 6-2, 6-1, (6-0).

Pete Sampras may be retired but he's only 34 years old. He definitely has the legs to keep up with Federer and every other pro on tour. After his season with the WTT, he should be in good enough shape to face Federer in an exhibition. If Sampras goes toe to toe against Federer, I think Sampras may have a chance in winning. This would be the battle of the eras.

FedererUberAlles
07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Pete Sampras may be retired but he's only 34 years old. He definitely has the legs to keep up with Federer and every other pro on tour. After his season with the WTT, he should be in good enough shape to face Federer in an exhibition. If Sampras goes toe to toe against Federer, I think Sampras may have a chance in winning. This would be the battle of the eras.

I think that's some pretty wishful thinking, man. Federer beat Sampras when Pete was younger, and so was Federer. The odds are heavily against Pete. He can't serve at 130 anymore.

Mick
07-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I think that's some pretty wishful thinking, man. Federer beat Sampras when Pete was younger, and so was Federer. The odds are heavily against Pete. He can't serve at 130 anymore.

yep. kind of like what happened to Agassi at Wimbledon when he played Nadal. 10 years difference in age (Sampras/Federer) is a huge handicap.

superman1
07-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, how dare that 14 time Grand Slam winner mention his name in the same sentence with the great Federer. What an ego on that guy.

cuddles26
07-26-2006, 03:52 AM

You are funny. :mrgreen:

OrangeOne
07-26-2006, 04:12 AM

I honestly expected to look at your post-count and see you as having just joined the board.

Now I know post count doesn't equate to much, but it usually equates somewhat with a rough liking of tennis for a period of time. Most people who like tennis know that Federer, for the last 2-3 years, has beaten almost everyone who doesn't have the last name "Nadal", consistently and resoundingly. It's slightly bizarre to think that Sampras would win that one, or even come close. Sampras declined in his later years on tour, as many do....

Federer thesedays pretty much only loses on clay to an already legendary clay-courter, and Sampras in his whole career never did as well on clay as Fed already has.

I feel confident in saying I don't think Sampras has a chance in hell. It'd be a great match to see just for the sake of it, but it'd be a one-sided affair unless Fed went easy on him, or unless Fed had a massive case of "i'm playing history" nerves!

superman1
07-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Guys, I'm fairly certain that Sampras has no intention of beating Federer anywhere. He wants to do this for fun and so that he can judge Federer's game from the best seat in the house.

But I'm sure he DOES want to be competitive with Federer, to fire some serves and hit some great volleys and see what Federer can do in return, but he has no expectation of winning. All this WTT stuff I think is just to warm himself up to give the people a good show when he plays Federer.

MaxT
07-26-2006, 04:43 AM
Exhibition is for fun. To all involved winning is not important. Best to have a score of 7-6, 6-7, 6-4. I think Roger won't even mind losing. Treat it as a party.