PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic-"I was born to win."

Moose Malloy
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Djokovic advanced Saturday when top-seeded Guillermo Coria of Argentina retired with a neck injury. Djokovic was leading 6-2, 1-0 with Coria double-faulting five times in the first set.

"I was born to win," Djokovic said. "I am very happy to play the first final of my career."

"I am going to play against a player who has won here before and who enjoys this surface," Djokovic said. "I think it's going to be tough out there, but I don't really believe in losing."

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/5805554

edberg505
07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Djokovic advanced Saturday when top-seeded Guillermo Coria of Argentina retired with a neck injury. Djokovic was leading 6-2, 1-0 with Coria double-faulting five times in the first set.

"I was born to win," Djokovic said. "I am very happy to play the first final of my career."

"I am going to play against a player who has won here before and who enjoys this surface," Djokovic said. "I think it's going to be tough out there, but I don't really believe in losing."

Hahahaha, I really look forward to hearing more memorable quotes from this guy.

Dilettante
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a "Djokovic at his best would..."-thread was started by Djokovic himself.

Born to win? Don't know, but he was born to entertain, no doubt.

King Andre
07-24-2006, 03:00 PM
besides taking advantage of injury time outs, what exactly makes him so great? mary carillo said that he had one of the biggest forehands shes seen, but i think its mediocre.

arosen
07-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Feisty guy, good stuff. Lessee if he can live up to the talk and walk the walk at USO.

fastdunn
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I think he also said positive talking/thinking helped him to make
a break thru. As I recall, he sounded like he had some experiences
of some kind of mental break-thru in the past. So As I understand,
he is talking this way at least half-intensionally (psychic-ing himself...)

callitout
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
People always compare young guys to Nadal and think every other guy on the tour is mediocre who isnt challenging Fed for titles.
This guy is 19 and is ranked in the 20's. Think about some of the young Americans who were hyped, where are they ranking: At best in the low 200s. So this guys ranking is better than Gasquet and Murray, and he's just behind Monfils. Not too shabby.

Feńa14
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
haha Djokovic is a real character.

Remember at the French when he wrote "Vamos" and "Nole" on his shoes when he played Nadal. Then after he retired after being totally outplayed he said he thought he would of gone on to win the match lol.

I'm not sure if he was being serious but its funny non the less, I saw him up close against Goldstein on the second day of Wimbledon on an outside court, wow this kid has talent.

Dan007
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Djokovic is soon going to be one of the most hated guys on the tour.

stormholloway
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Djokovic is a definite talent, but I don't know what planet he's on.

Volly master
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
i think he is the new safin - character wise, of the new generation

monologuist
07-24-2006, 04:29 PM
this guy does not seem to lacking in confidence, that's for sure.

I can see how he may turn a lot fans off, and his sportsmanship has been questionable thus far.

But I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I think he will be a top 10 player very soon, with top 5 potential. He needs to improve his conditioning to make a strong statement at a slam...and he needs to fill out his gangly frame with some more muscle...but the raw goods are all there : power and accuracy off of both wing from the backcourt, a big serve, excellent court sense, excellent transition game and nice hands to back it up, an aggressive/attacking mentality, good footworka dn movement for a long guy, and apparently an unwavering sense of self-belief. Also, he seems comfortable and potent on all surfaces. As off-putting as he may seem, to me, he has all the ingredients to be a champion.

dmastous
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a "Djokovic at his best would..."-thread was started by Djokovic himself.

Born to win? Don't know, but he was born to entertain, no doubt.
Entertain?
Entertaining us with 15-20 bounces of the ball before each serve. I can do without that entertainment thank you.

tennis_nerd22
07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
"I was born to win," Djokovic said. "I think it's going to be tough out there, but I don't really believe in losing." [/url]

mmm now i cant wait to see him lose :D

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
djokovic is way too cocky...after his loss to nadal at RG he said something like 'i dont really need to play that well to beat nadal. he's not that good. i dont think hes that hard to beat' . i saw the press conference. how could he say that when he just lost? wow

Richie Rich
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Entertain?
Entertaining us with 15-20 bounces of the ball before each serve. I can do without that entertainment thank you.
pick your poison. 15-20 bounces from this guy or watch Nadal pick his bumb, towel off and pull his socks between every point in the entire match

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
pick your poison. 15-20 bounces from this guy or watch Nadal pick his bumb, towel off and pull his socks between every point in the entire match

That match had to be 20-30 minutes longer then it needed to be from all of that.

Djokovic has talent, but his overconfidence could certainly be his downfall.

Nadal-inator
07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I think he better watch that ego of his...when he wins a slam, then he can talk...but right now, hes nowhere close to winning one

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
His confidence will serve him well.

I am very high on him after watching him in person at last year US Open. I think he is the top 2 guys talent wise among all young guys. He only played on tour for about 2 years, hadn't played many events. But generally doing quite well at slams consider he doesn't have much experience.

All players are very high in praise of his talent.

FEDEXP
07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Born to win, until he loses, such is life.

tnig469
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Djokovic....ha....funny thread guys.....ok maybe he is a great player...but lets not forget...the other guys on the tour will kill him because he talks so much trash....that is the only problem i see

monologuist
07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure how "overconfidence" will hurt Djokovic....in a sport where 90% of the players fail due to wavering of confidence, and the ones that do break through cite "finding their confidence" as the reason why, I would bet that Djokovic will be served well by his self-belief. It is not as if you see the guy going for broke on shots that are beyond him all the time like a Verdasco, the old Gonzalez He actually plays with impressive poise and control for a guy his age.

malakas
07-25-2006, 03:28 AM
haha Djokovic is a real character.

Remember at the French when he wrote "Vamos" and "Nole" on his shoes when he played Nadal. Then after he retired after being totally outplayed he said he thought he would of gone on to win the match lol.

I'm not sure if he was being serious but its funny non the less, I saw him up close against Goldstein on the second day of Wimbledon on an outside court, wow this kid has talent.

I think he has a great sense of humour!Judging by his...ehm..fashion sense!lol
I mean..come on!:mrgreen:
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8393/ostalo010lw0.jpg

Duzza
07-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Haha I saw him at the Aussie Open just walking around. I was about to say Hi but i was on the servy thing

Shabazza
07-25-2006, 03:48 AM
I'm looking forward to his hc-season! ;)

pound cat
07-25-2006, 04:18 AM

Likely is already....he sounds like a pompous *** to me.

tennisprofl
07-25-2006, 05:08 AM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8393/ostalo010lw0.jpg
wow nice outfit

Ivanišević
07-25-2006, 05:24 AM
oh, i can't stand him!
at wimbledon, ancic-đoković match, when he realised he's losing the match-he started to pretend he couldn't see coz of the dust

The Grand Slam
07-25-2006, 05:27 AM
You gotta admire his strong desire to win.

The tennis guy
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
oh, i can't stand him!
at wimbledon, ancic-đoković match, when he realised he's losing the match-he started to pretend he couldn't see coz of the dust

Maybe because he is a serb?

How the hell do you know he was pretending or he couldn't actually see?

Galactus
07-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Djokovic: here today, gone....later today.

Mikael
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
It's fun when players start talking trash.... I mean come on, I'm sure it's half in jest.

randomname
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
the weird thing is I got to talk to him for about 5 minutes at last years US open, and he didnt come off that way at all, in fact, he was by far the nicest player I had met (we were goin on a tour inside the building but the guy giving the tour got stuck on the subway so we ended up outside the players entrance for about 40 minutes) he was really humble and was saying that he would be happy just to win his first match.

monologuist
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
the weird thing is I got to talk to him for about 5 minutes at last years US open, and he didnt come off that way at all, in fact, he was by far the nicest player I had met (we were goin on a tour inside the building but the guy giving the tour got stuck on the subway so we ended up outside the players entrance for about 40 minutes) he was really humble and was saying that he would be happy just to win his first match.

well...he has come a long way since a year ago. He was merely a qualifier at the USO last year. I could see a 4th round run for him this year, if not better. Of course, the heat may come into play again...toughness in the face of such conditions does not seem to be one of his strong suits as of yet...kind of Safin-esque in that way.

Rataplan
07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
In an interview for Sportweek (during the Dutch Open), he said the following:

(they threw Djokovic a couple of lines and asked him to react to them)

Ik ben hier in Amersfoort om te winnen.
Djokovic: “Klopt. Ik ben geboren om te winnen. Ik accepteer geen verlies. Ik heb ook de kwaliteiten om hier te winnen. Dat klinkt zelfverzekerd, maar dat ben ik ook. Negatief denken brengt je niet verder, positief denken wel.”

Translated:
I am here in Amersfoort to win
Djokovic: "That's correct. I was born to win. I don't accept losses. I have the qualities to win here. This may sound self-confident but I am. Negative thinking won't get you any further, positive thinking will"

The rest of the interview (in Dutch) is here:
http://www.sportweek.nl/detail.asp?groupid=3&newsid=15551

MonkeyPox
07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Seems very smart to be supremely confident to me. BUT, keep your mouth shut. I'll bet you someone like Graf or Sampras felt the exact same way, even from the beginning, but you never heard them say it. Smart.

Rataplan
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
In the same sportweek, but a day later, they did an interview with the coach of Jong Oranje (= Young Orange, young Dutch talent) Rohan Goetzke.

The same kind of interview: they threw Goetzke a couple of lines and they ask him to react.

One quote from it:
Djokovic is het grootste tennistalent in de wereld.
“Nee. Hij is heel goed, ja. Maar hij is niet de beste. Nadal is jonger dus is hij het grootste talent. En Berdych is ook vrij goed. Dat is Nadal. Maar ik mag Djokovic wel. Hij heeft zelfvertrouwen. Gisteren zei hij op deze plaats dat hij geboren is om te winnen. Goede tekst. Niets mis mee. Zolang hij het maar waar maakt.”

Translated:
Djokovic is the biggest tennis talent in the world.
"No. He's very good, yes. But he's not the best. Nadal is younger so he's the biggest talent*. And Berdych is pretty good as well. It's Nadal. But I do like Djokovic. He has self-confidence. Yesterday, he said here that he's born to win. That's a good line. Nothing wrong with it. As long as he backs it up."

Rest of the article (again, in Dutch):
http://www.sportweek.nl/detail.asp?groupid=3&newsid=15595

---
* I think that Djokovic is younger than Nadal but I don't quite see the relevance of that little age difference in this debate

Moose Malloy
04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
looks like he walks the walk, is the youngest winner of the Lipton/Nasdaq/Ericson/whatever in history(beat Agassi in '90 by a few days)

BiGGieStuFF
04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
That match had to be 20-30 minutes longer then it needed to be from all of that.

Djokovic has talent, but his overconfidence could certainly be his downfall.

the match was long because of that ONE GAME that last what? 25 minutes? That was just a bit shy of how long the entire first set lasted.

I like the kid's arrogance. I think Tennis needs personality whether it be good or bad. It's definitely kind of bland at the moment. Too bad the kid's english isn't great otherwise he might just be marketable. Okay too bad he's not american.

The kid has a pretty impressive arsenal though. Variety of spins on both sides. Great touch and solid volleys and I like his aggressive style. He kept going for that forehand down the line even though he missed it several times in a row. It didn't phase him.

He actually reminds me of what Murray could be if he was more aggressive. Murray when he plays offensively can really control the court but he opts to play passive. They both like dropshots but Novak's seems to be more effective because he's attempting initially to dictate the point and then pops the dropper out of nowhere.

Ripper
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
looks like he walks the walk, is the youngest winner of the Lipton/Nasdaq/Ericson/whatever in history(beat Agassi in '90 by a few days)

Was it necessary to bring this thread back from the dead?

fishuuuuu
04-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Was it necessary to bring this thread back from the dead?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/fishuuuuufromtw/347414-1883111-458-238.jpg

Baghdatis72
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Djokovic is a Borat fan and after his win in Miami he said the following when a guy hi 5ed him:

"Very nice! I like! Great success!" (Borat style ;) )

A tennis player who says that in front of the camera after winning a Masters series event is destined to be loved by fans eventually :D

BigServer1
04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I like Djokovic a lot. After the match he was very gracious to Canas and they had a nice moment together. I know that he's made some smart *** remarks in the past but he was 18/19 years old. I know I wasn't an angel at 18, nor am I now. I think Djoko will be a slam winner sometime soon and will be a fan favorite at tournaments. He has the game, the attitude, the desire to win, etc. I hope for his success in the future.

federerfanatic
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
He has the swagger and he has the game too. I said months ago that I had gradualy reached the conclusion he and Murray are the 2 most promising of all the young pups of that group they are put into. The last few events they are certainly showing that to be so, although Murray is a bit behind Djoko for the moment.

J-man
04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8393/ostalo010lw0.jpgLooks like someone's off to a gay bar

NamRanger
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Looks like someone's off to a gay bar

Maybe that's why women are never around him!

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
djokovic and hewitt are like those guys who never got a big asswhooping thats why they talk a lot.

tricky
04-02-2007, 01:46 PM
djokovic and hewitt are like those guys who never got a big asswhooping thats why they talk a lot.

Joker seems like a funny bugger though, and he probably doesn't take a lot of things he says seriously.

His shirt oddly matches the carpet on which he's standing. Huh.

jole
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
the match was long because of that ONE GAME that last what? 25 minutes? That was just a bit shy of how long the entire first set lasted.

I like the kid's arrogance. I think Tennis needs personality whether it be good or bad. It's definitely kind of bland at the moment. Too bad the kid's english isn't great otherwise he might just be marketable. Okay too bad he's not american.

The kid has a pretty impressive arsenal though. Variety of spins on both sides. Great touch and solid volleys and I like his aggressive style. He kept going for that forehand down the line even though he missed it several times in a row. It didn't phase him.

He actually reminds me of what Murray could be if he was more aggressive. Murray when he plays offensively can really control the court but he opts to play passive. They both like dropshots but Novak's seems to be more effective because he's attempting initially to dictate the point and then pops the dropper out of nowhere.

Um, it's not like his English is that bad.

fishuuuuu
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/fishuuuuufromtw/_42040954_henman300.jpg

Looks like someone's insecure about their sexuality!

J-man
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm gay

Just kididing

pound cat
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Comment after the Miami win....."I am meant to be # 1" Globe and Mail, April 2

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
joker still cheated in his 1st round match in the 2005 uso.

federerfanatic
04-02-2007, 02:54 PM
joker still cheated in his 1st round match in the 2005 uso.

Awww but it was against your personal favorite Gael Monfils remember. :p

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
04-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Awww but it was against your personal favorite Gael Monfils remember. :p

we all know how much i dislike monfils, but i would rather cheer for him than joker.

Bjorn99
04-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Great for the game. I wish someone here hadn't pointed out his neck though, I can't take my eyes off it now. And it looks sort of goose like.

FedFan_2007
04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Djoker-man still has a lot to prove!

alan-n
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
People always compare young guys to Nadal and think every other guy on the tour is mediocre who isnt challenging Fed for titles.
This guy is 19 and is ranked in the 20's. Think about some of the young Americans who were hyped, where are they ranking: At best in the low 200s. So this guys ranking is better than Gasquet and Murray, and he's just behind Monfils. Not too shabby.
Nobody is going to say anything rediculous as if this guy is the next Federer. But at 19 years of age, his ranking is in some good company of players that have made a mark in the game. At any rate, its awesome to see another all court player in the game that knows how to hit approach shots.

idiotboy
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I like to compare the arrogance of Roddick to the arrogance of Djokovic:

Djokovic - i am very talented - i am going to back myself no matter what even if its bordering on the ridiculous.

Roddick - i am a whiney little ***** who cant stop whining coz i keep getting whipped by federer - and what makes things worse is that i'm not even that good - its just my serve thats good.

gugarafa
04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
lol.joke is certainly the new safin with worse english ofcourse

erdega79
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Of course he believes that because he works hard and has enormous talent and his early coach Jelena Gencic told him that and she doesn't give her words easy

Buuurnz
04-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Maybe because he is a serb?

How the hell do you know he was pretending or he couldn't actually see?

maybe u r some very dumb person...or no, definitely....judging someone cuz he is from some country... what a dumb comment is that?

pound cat
04-05-2007, 05:09 AM
maybe u r some very dumb person...or no, definitely....judging someone cuz he is from some country... what a dumb comment is that?

Try telling that to the Croats.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
04-05-2007, 05:23 AM
Comment after the Miami win....."I am meant to be # 1" Globe and Mail, April 2
He beat Nadal ONCE he beat Canas once and won AMS Miami ONCE and said that???? :p Unbelievably early pride...Well let's wait and see how "The Tennis Master Rajah Federator "....:p answers him I am so impatient !!!!!!

Shabazza
04-05-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm looking forward to his clay season, this time. ;)

TheTruth
04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Djokovic is an idiot. The commentators may be covering it up by gushing over him, but anyone who takes timeouts to win matches they are losing, is a loser.

Believe your own eyes and ears. Some people cannot be trusted!

tennis_nerd22
04-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm gay

WOOOO HOOOOOOO

Just kididing

awwww...

lol jk

jinsol
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM

lol i couldnt agree more. the size of his ears in that picture bother me for some reason...
anyways, ive never really like djokovic, he brags too much, too arrogant. whenever i see him i immediately think "what a dick".

Cavaleer
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
In an interview for Sportweek (during the Dutch Open), he said the following:

(they threw Djokovic a couple of lines and asked him to react to them)

Ik ben hier in Amersfoort om te winnen.
Djokovic: “Klopt. Ik ben geboren om te winnen. Ik accepteer geen verlies. Ik heb ook de kwaliteiten om hier te winnen. Dat klinkt zelfverzekerd, maar dat ben ik ook. Negatief denken brengt je niet verder, positief denken wel.”

Translated:
I am here in Amersfoort to win
Djokovic: "That's correct. I was born to win. I don't accept losses. I have the qualities to win here. This may sound self-confident but I am. Negative thinking won't get you any further, positive thinking will"

The rest of the interview (in Dutch) is here:
http://www.sportweek.nl/detail.asp?groupid=3&newsid=15551

He's clearly trying to boost his own ego. Anyone with true self-confidence doesn't say such things as this.

If it works, good for him. Right now it's rather amusing.

Cavaleer

AlpineCadet
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
He's only 19, and a youngster at heart. Give him a break.

joe sch
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
djokovic is way too cocky...after his loss to nadal at RG he said something like 'i dont really need to play that well to beat nadal. he's not that good. i dont think hes that hard to beat' . i saw the press conference. how could he say that when he just lost? wow
Ya, he also said something to the effect that he thought he outplayed Nadal after losing in straight sets and even Cliff Drysdale was commenting that this kid must be delusional :)

federerfanatic
04-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I really am gay and I find Djokovic very unattractive. I only like him because of his sensational tennis talent, his phenomenal potential, the need the young game has for a young star other then "make me want to puke" Nadal, and his great personality, great sportsmanship, and combination of cockiness and graciousness at the same time. As far as his looks go, blech! Not that he would ever go into a gay bar I dont think but nobody from my clique would be caught dead near him if he did.

Wingshellphelp
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
He's only 19, and a youngster at heart. Give him a break.

i agree...

federerfanatic
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Even though Roger is my favorite player I sometimes wish he had a bit more of Djokovic in him at press conferences and interviews. Roger goes out of his way to be over-gracious and nice. If the truth about his performance or his opponent is not extremely generous or polite, he is overly subtle and careful in his statements.