PDA

View Full Version : Pete sampras and federer throat piece

Sam Groo
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
why on Pete sampras' throat piece of his grommet of his racket have three raise parts to it, as opposed to the standward one? http://www.smash-web.com.ar/galeria1/006-sampras.jpg..... http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/big/60-big.jpg

I also saw this with federer's racket a while ago, i don't believe think they are there anymore, but i could be wrong

migjam
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Those raised areas that you see are Power Pads (pieces of leather). Basically they help round out the sharp angles and helps keep the gut from breaking prematurely.

snoflewis
07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Those raised areas that you see are Power Pads (pieces of leather). Basically they help round out the sharp angles and helps keep the gut from breaking prematurely.

safin has them as well...

chiru
07-24-2006, 05:24 PM
how do you put them in? what do you use, whats the step by step procedure?

Custom+Hybrid
07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
You can just tell your stringer to put them in..
When the mains are strung, they put that leather piece in there and the string binds it to the grommet.

PrestigeClassic
07-24-2006, 06:08 PM
http://slaveboy.error41.com/images/Tri_w_throat.jpg

Custom+Hybrid
07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Eww.

Whats that??

zorg
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Whoa...what the hell?

chiru
07-24-2006, 06:55 PM
You can just tell your stringer to put them in..
When the mains are strung, they put that leather piece in there and the string binds it to the grommet.

my stringer knows nothing about stringing, he definately wouldn't know what power pads are, nor would he have them. he says hes usrsa certified, and he has the authentic certificate and stuff, i donno, he doesn't even know how to prestretch, he just knows how to string. he didn't even realize that you can hybrid string until i showed him what i meant, so if i want it done ill have to explain it to him step by step.

zorg
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
What leather do you guys usually use for them, like cutting pieces from a leather grip?

OccasionalTennis
07-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi,
I'm sure there has been many posts about power pads. But basically you can use any leather (left over replacement grips work well, or some use old leather belts- not the stiff dress kind).

Using a small piece, about the width between the two grommet holes, tighten the main string with the leather in place. Most people (depending on the thickness of the leather) I know fold the leather in half to have two layers of leather between the grommet and the string.

Do a search of the forums about the effects of "power" pads.

Hope this helps

migjam
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
You also used to be able to get strips of leather from Tandy Leather, in different sizes.

BreakPoint
07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
my stringer knows nothing about stringing, ....

Huh? Then why are you going to him then? :confused:

Would you go to a car mechanic that knows nothing about cars?

snoflewis
07-25-2006, 08:01 PM

good point...if you, the customer, has to teach him how to string your racket...there's an issue here. time to find a new stringer!!

chiru
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM

good call, problem is, the only other guy in the city that knows about stringing charges 20 dollars per job (thats if i bring my own string in), this guy charged 10, and i can't justify that much more money unless im in like major competition or something.

BreakPoint
07-26-2006, 11:09 AM
good call, problem is, the only other guy in the city that knows about stringing charges 20 dollars per job (thats if i bring my own string in), this guy charged 10, and i can't justify that much more money unless im in like major competition or something.

Where do you live that there are only two guys that can string racquets in the entire city? :confused: