PDA

View Full Version : So Connors is officially Roddicks new coach?

grimmbomb21
07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
So is his brother out or what?

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:36 PM
from what i heard, he had a private week with connors, but john roddick was still his coach. hopefully roddick will dump john and hire jimmy full time

grimmbomb21
07-24-2006, 05:37 PM
they just had the press conference to announce it. But I haven't found an article about the details yet.

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
they just had the press conference to announce it. But I haven't found an article about the details yet.
oh really? cool

cricri
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM

I was wondering the same thing after i saw the news at Yahoo

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:44 PM
cricri where are you from?

Volly master
07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
i think so as well

the pictures on yahoo say the same thing that its offical now.

cricri
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
cricri where are you from?

Why do u want to know?

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM
because ive heard someone called cricri before...its not a very common name

Matthew
07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
i think so as well

the pictures on yahoo say the same thing that its offical now.

link?

cricri
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
because ive heard someone called cricri before...its not a very common name

Actually its not my name. Its just a shortcut for my name. BTW i m from the Ivory Coast

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 06:01 PM
why does it say ur from the usa

Volly master
07-24-2006, 06:01 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.getty-71508183mc032_countrywide_c_9_27_05_pm.jpg

WESTOOD, CA - JULY 24: Tennis legend Jimmy Connors and Andy Roddick speak at a press conference announcing that Connors will be Roddick's new coach during the Countrywide Classic on July 24 2006 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center-UCLA in Westwood, California. (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=getty-71508183mc032_countrywide_c_9_27_05_pm&prov=getty

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
its about time andy...

Viper
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Bye Bye John

cricri
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
why does it say ur from the usa

It says where i m right now, and i m in the U.S.

grimmbomb21
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Bye Bye John

About time. He was no help.

Nuke
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
If body language is any indicator, they're not exactly buddies yet.

grimmbomb21
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM

How so?

ShcMad
07-24-2006, 06:48 PM

LOL, are you saying that because their legs are crossed so that they aren't pointing to each other? HAH! I thought that only applied to women and their interest level in men.

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Well judging from his performance at Indy where he put up a great game against Blake from only a little bit of advice from Jimmy, I'd say Andy should dump John (who's done a terrible job I might add).

hyperwarrior
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Good job Andy!!!

HeadRacquets
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm so gald that John is out and Jimmy is in. Now that Andy has Jimmy, do you think that Andy can make a run at the U.S. Open?

tangerine
07-24-2006, 07:56 PM
A match made in tennis heaven. Good luck to the new Team Roddick. :cool:

Roddick, Connors go public with new teacher-pupil relationship

July 24, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- Andy Roddick has turned to Jimmy Connors to give his sputtering career a boost.

"I've got a coach," Roddick said Monday at a new conference with Connors at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, where the Countrywide Classic was being played.

The announcement wasn't a surprise. Roddick reached out to Connors after an early exit from the French Open in June and there had been much speculation since about their association.

Connors said he never would have imagined himself as a coach and called it a "great opportunity" to help Roddick regain the No. 1 ranking.

"I would like to try to give him a little bit of what made me what I was, and he is able to suck that up like a sponge. He's proven that already," said Connors, who won 109 titles and four Grand Slams. "It's not always in the game. It's the intangibles that could make the difference, along with a few tweaks here and there. I'm not sitting down there breaking down and criticizing everything. I'm just trying to make him the best that he can be."

The 23-year-old Roddick won the U.S. Open and reached No. 1 on the ATP Tour in 2003 and was runner-up to Roger Federer at Wimbledon in 2004 and '05, when he finished the season ranked No. 3.

He has struggled this year, however, failing to win a title and falling to No. 10.

Roddick was coached by Brad Gilbert in '03, but those two parted in 2004 and since then Roddick has worked with Dean Goldfine and his brother, John.

Roddick said he and Connors spent four days working together in Santa Barbara, Calif., where Connors lives, before Roddick played at Indianapolis last week. Roddick reached the finals at Indianapolis, losing to James Blake.

But Roddick said he came away optimistic about the association.

"First of all, it's just belief," Roddick said. "It means a lot when someone who has won as many tennis championships as Jimmy Connors comes through and says, 'I believe in you. I think you can really do some great things, and here's how.'

"I never felt that I couldn't play tennis anymore. It was just a matter of taking what you're doing on the practice court and applying it in matches. Jimmy gave me some things to work on (for Indianapolis) and I went and tried to apply them the best I could, and I'm pretty optimistic after the first week."

Neither Roddick nor Connors would, or could, clarify the parameters of their relationship.

Connors said "we're just starting out" and will try to "get through this year and see how things go," and Roddick said he wasn't sure how much time they would spend together. Connors is a willing participant, though, after some initial reluctance.

"The one major concern from my standpoint was what he was willing to give and how much he was willing to give and it didn't take him long to prove that to me," Connors said.

chinese dragon
07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Maybe Andy will win the US Open this year...

quest01
07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Itís about time he dumped his brother John. The guy canít coach, and not just that he stinks at tennis. Those are two combinations I wouldnít want for a coach if you ask me. Andy Roddick finally realized the reason why this year has been appalling and itís because of John. Jimmy Connors (the legend) would be a welcome addition to improving Roddickís game. If one man can improve Andyís game, itís Jimmy.

tangerine
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
It’s about time he dumped his brother John. The guy can’t coach, and not just that he stinks at tennis. Those are two combinations I wouldn’t want for a coach if you ask me. Andy Roddick finally realized the reason why this year has been appalling and it’s because of John.
Er, I don't think many of you realize that Coach brother John was a temporary/transitional coach in the first place? John Roddick has his own tennis academy to run.

sureshs
07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Somehow looking at John Roddick and listening to the way he talked during the Blake match with the MC did not impress me. He didn't come across as a serious tennis type - more like a party animal grown a little older. Or maybe looks are deceiving.

punch
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Great deal for Roddick, hope only the best results come.

Here is the ESPN article ----> http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2528899

MTXR
07-24-2006, 08:59 PM
would sampras make a good coach?

KBalla08
07-24-2006, 09:18 PM
i dont think john has left, jimmys not his full time coach. thats what i got out of the article on espn

mca10spro
07-24-2006, 09:18 PM
I heard that it was just like a consulting deal where Connor's was going to do a 10 week deal. Which is almost the rest of the year.

Mick
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I think Roddick has all the shots. Coach Connors just needs to teach him how to develop mental toughness.

helloworld
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
would sampras make a good coach?
Nah, I don't think Sampras will make a great coach. His ability is unique. Nobody can serve as accurate and as decieving as Sampras. But I think Jimmy Conners can be a good coach if he wants to. He has many years of experience on Tour. How many years has this guy been playing ? I think he retired when he was like 40 or something. Also Jimmy has a great backhand which hopefully will help Roddick's club player backhand turn into a world class backhand.

stormholloway
07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Apparently John Roddick just got hired as a manager at Jamba Juice since he lost his coaching job. This is the latest I've heard.

helloworld
07-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for Jamba Juice, now Roddick doesn't have to hire his brother anymore because he has got a job, so he can take care of himself now. :D

pound cat
07-25-2006, 04:32 AM
If Roddick behaved badly on the court before, I can just imagine his behaviour when he's been under Connors' influence for a while. Yikes.

The ball was in
07-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Good luck to the Roddick and Connors partnership...I was shocked to see Roddick ditch GIlbert when he did as I thought they were turning the corner!! The only player that stopped him was Federer!!

But with the careful guidance and tuition of Connors along with the wealth of experience I can only see Roddick return to that level that we saw a couple of years ago...I'm not saying that he will be world number 1 again...but he will definitely be in the top 3-4 places.

FH2FH
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
It's disappointing for Andy to get so much criticism. It was only a year ago that he game began to visually decline. Losing to Roger at Wimbledon, then losing 1st round at the USO - MOJO, etc... He is human like anyone else and that came through then.

One of the intangibles Conners mentioned is confidence, which was reduced to zero after that 1st round loss. Gilbert, his brother John, and now Jimmy can make him believe. Goldfine was not a good match for him - no intensity. I believe tennis is mostly mental in the top 100 and top 50 and top 5. The higher it goes the more focus and confidence are required. Without them, well, you can see the results...

SC in MA
07-25-2006, 06:03 AM
I saw quite a bit of the RCA final and from what I saw, it appeared to me that Connors has already positively influenced Roddick. Even though he lost and was frustrated at times, I thought Andy appeared much more confident overall than he has in recent times, where he often looked confused on the court.

Additionally, I thought Roddick's court positioning was much improved. And he hit many more down the line backhands than I can remember, which makes baseline play more difficult for his opponents. (Jimmy loved to step inside the baseline on the backhand side and go hard up the line with it.)

When the rumors first surfaced about Connors hooking up with Roddick during Wimbledon, I was skeptical that Connors could help. After seeing Roddick in the RCA final after spending only a shorttime with Connors, I now believe Connors could have a major impact.

helloworld
07-25-2006, 06:15 AM
It's still pretty amazing though that one of the GOAT like Conners would be wasting his time with a one-slam-wonder like Roddick. He must have really shown some potentials to Conners, otherwise I don't see why Conners would waste his time with this guy or maybe he is getting paid heavily. :)

FH2FH
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
It's still pretty amazing though that one of the GOAT like Conners would be wasting his time with a one-slam-wonder like Roddick.

I don't know why I should waste my time replying to your post, b/c it doesn't seem that you'll understand.

First of course... money talks, which may be in fact why Conner's is "wasting his time." Is he really wasting his time though? Is Laver or any great REALLY too good to ever speak to anyone else or help? Should they just be admired like a trophy for the rest of their lives? I believe guys like Conners and Gilbert and other "thinkers" on the court can help Andy because they toughen up his mental game.

Second, Even though Andy has only won a single slam, he's been ranked high for quite some time and that doesn't happen without results. I agree that his game has been somewhat one-dimensional, but if it works why change it? All he needs are a few changes here and there to be steady top 5 material with some shots at another major.

chicagohpch
07-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Keep dreaming.

FH2FH
07-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Look at his competition... Blake for example. He lost in a 3rd set tiebreak by a couple of points two days ago, yet you still think he's done, that he cannot compete anymore with the big boys...??? Wimbledon final last year...??

In the top of the game it is mostly mental and about who stays healthy and motivated. He has two of those. You do the math.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-25-2006, 07:13 AM
good decision Andy, continue playing with confidence and only good results will come.

8PAQ
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I expect A-Rod to be #3 by the end of the year. I would love to see him play Nadal. I think Andy would win on fast hard courts and on carpet.

Moose Malloy
07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
said Connors, who won 109 titles and four Grand Slams.

??

helloworld
07-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Conners won 8 grand slam titles, not 4. And he is the longest world no.1 in history(he was no.1 for 5 consecutive years).

Moose Malloy
07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
And he is the longest world no.1 in history(he was no.1 for 5 consecutive years).

Sampras-6 straight years.

Not to diminish Connors, but the ranking system was very controversial in those days. Most analysts considered him at most year end #1 for 3 of those 5 years.

helloworld
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM

Not to diminish Connors, but the ranking system was very controversial in those days. Most analysts considered him at most year end #1 for 3 of those 5 years.
Sampras was no.1 in the end of the year for 6 years, but it was not consecutive. Conners held the longest No.1 spot record which is about 240 consecutive weeks i think.

Moose Malloy
07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Conners held the longest No.1 spot record which is about 240 consecutive weeks i think.

It was 160, just over 3 years. Federer can break that mark in March.

http://www.tennis28.com/rankings/longreign_No1.html

zolo
07-25-2006, 08:36 AM
I am so pleased at this 'knew it was coming' news. Nice one Andy! Anyone who used to watch Connors play knows what an amazing player he was. Don't even compare anyone around today to him..PLEASE!!!! The man is a legend.

Moose Malloy
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Roddick said he first contacted Connors after a first-round loss at the French Open in May. "I was kind of sitting around my room, thinking things over," Roddick said. "I've always admired Jimmy. He had actually been pretty supportive of me publicly before. I figured, worst-case scenario he would say `No thanks' and I wouldn't be any more worse off."

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4091298

I'm impressed that Roddick would do that, since they probably never even met before. Whatever you can say about Roddick, he does seem to be focused on getting the most out of his career. Most players wouldn't think of trying new things(as far game plan, new coaches, etc) but he seems very willing to do that.

KBalla08
07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Sampras was no.1 in the end of the year for 6 years, but it was not consecutive. Conners held the longest No.1 spot record which is about 240 consecutive weeks i think.
Sampras was the ATP No. 1 ranked player in the world for an record 286 weeks.

tangerine
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Not sure where to post this but it's a streaming video highlight of one of the best points that was played during the RCA final:

http://www.andyroddick.com/photosvideos/rca-final-amazing-play/

breakfast_of_champions
07-26-2006, 06:23 PM

and in 1982 and 1983 connors finished 2 and was considered by most to be #1.

thats the breaks

10sfather
07-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Seems to me, Connors has always been about Connors. He would do whatever he could to win and I mean whatever. Maybe he's mellowed with age. It will be entertaining to see what unfolds here.

TT_ThunderCloud
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Great move by Andy. I think this change could elevate his game. Hopefully, this is the case.

NamRanger
07-26-2006, 08:29 PM

It really doesn't matter, Sampras won a record setting 13 slams, Connors doesn't even come close.

Andres
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Sampras was the ATP No. 1 ranked player in the world for an record 286 weeks.
NON consecutive ;)

Andres
07-26-2006, 09:48 PM
It really doesn't matter, Sampras won a record setting 13 slams, Connors doesn't even come close.

helloworld
07-26-2006, 10:39 PM
First of all, he won 14, dummy. But you'll have to consider that Conners barely play Australian Open at all, too. If we were to play the AO, he'd probably win a lot more. Sampras 14 slams is a joke. Borg would have wiped Sampras's record if he took tennis more seriously. Remember Borg retired when he was only 26.

superman1
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Sampras' record is a joke? Where do you get off calling others dummies? Sure, Borg COULD have gotten more Slams if he played longer and played the AO, Connors COULD have gotten more if he played the AO, Agassi COULD have gotten more if he had played the AO in the first 10 years of his career. None of them did. So what?

And Borg and Connors did not have to deal with the hordes of competition that Sampras dealt with.

jonolau
07-27-2006, 12:35 AM
I do like Andy and hope that Jimmy can help give him the confidence boost. Pro tennis is all about consistency and not just in technique, but also from the mental conditioning from a good coach. A good coach will know when to calm the player down, or when to get him pumped up. In other words, to learn how to pace himself, and keep something in reserve for that magical boost.

brucie
07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I do like Andy and hope that Jimmy can help give him the confidence boost. Pro tennis is all about consistency and not just in technique, but also from the mental conditioning from a good coach. A good coach will know when to calm the player down, or when to get him pumped up. In other words, to learn how to pace himself, and keep something in reserve for that magical boost.
Me too. I think with Roddick, its all about confidence, at the moment his confidence is low. Hopefully Connors can restore this.

predrag
07-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Not sure where to post this but it's a streaming video highlight of one of the best points that was played during the RCA final:

http://www.andyroddick.com/photosvideos/rca-final-amazing-play/

Second backhand volley was terrible play :(
He had to do more with it.

Regards, Predrag

FH2FH
07-27-2006, 08:20 AM

Regards, Predrag

YUP. Confidence issue again. He was way too conservative at the AO, after MB cracked some winners off his short balls. It's all in his head. Conners may be just the guy to fix it.

tangerine
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
I think you're the first one I've seen here who actually gets it. Yes, Jimmy can probably help Roddick with his approach shots but more importantly, he infuse Roddick with a huge dose of much needed self belief. And because Connors is a mega-talented tennis legend who never intended to be a coach to anybody, I think Roddick is more likely to listen to him than to his other past coaches and that includes Gilbert.

Regards, Predrag
You'd be a happier person if you just relaxed and enjoyed the entertaining clip instead of looking for smallish mistakes that ultimately don't mean anything.

Regards, tangerine

jjames
07-29-2006, 12:37 PM

and for the record, connors skipped the french for 6 years in his prime, and played the aussie on twice.