PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Car Experts!!!

TokyopunK
07-24-2006, 07:41 PM
First off, I know this isnt a car forum but I don't want to go through the hassle of finding one and then registering there when I know this isnt that hard of a question to answer.

Okay, so I got a used Oldsmobile Alero 2001, and I want to install a new muffler to make the "turbo engine sound." It is just a single pipe, but nowhere in the manual does it say the size. I noticed that there are different sizes, such as 2.25in, 2.5, 3, so I don't know what to get. Also, it says welding is the means of installation.

So my main question(s) is - What size muffler should I get, What is a good brand for making "that sound," and also, should I take it to a car shop to get it installed?

Thanks for anyones response! :cool: I wanna see em trying to catch me ridin' dirty.

p0w3r
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
theres no way to get a "turbo engine sound" from a non-turbo engine...regardless of muffler.

ShcMad
07-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Are you saying you want the blow-off valve sound? The one that goes *whoosh* everytime you shift gears? Or just a sound of the turbine spooling?

I mean...those are sounds that are hard to replicate without having turbo. If you want the blow-off valve sound, the big auction site sells something that replicates the sound, but it's a really fake sound coming through a speaker installed in the engine compartment.

zhan
07-24-2006, 07:56 PM
First off, I know this isnt a car forum but I don't want to go through the hassle of finding one and then registering there when I know this isnt that hard of a question to answer.

Okay, so I got a used Oldsmobile Alero 2001, and I want to install a new muffler to make the "turbo engine sound." It is just a single pipe, but nowhere in the manual does it say the size. I noticed that there are different sizes, such as 2.25in, 2.5, 3, so I don't know what to get. Also, it says welding is the means of installation.

So my main question(s) is - What size muffler should I get, What is a good brand for making "that sound," and also, should I take it to a car shop to get it installed?

Thanks for anyones response! :cool: I wanna see em trying to catch me ridin' dirty.

my personal opinion
please dont do it...
u'll be considered an idiot among the car enthusiasts
BUT... since this is america... i'll share my car-geekiness

So you want a performance exhaust set up?
Well Magnaflow makes really good exhaust setups for American cars
If they dont make one for your specific car... then goto a local exhaust shop get your car measured... buy a muffler (if ur car has dual exhaust buy 2 mufflers) from hottexhaust.com (online shop with cheap magnaflow muffler prices) and tell them to make something for u...
BUT if magnaflow do have a premade set up for ur car its much better

AND you want the turbo noise?
Since turbo is a turbine spun by exhaust gases that spools up and send EXTRA air (oxygen) into the engine
Most people want the turbo noise is the spooling and the blow off valve that goes *shift* psssssssshhh *shirt* psssssssshh
That noise can only be replicated by adding a turbo charger...
turbo chargers range anywhere from 3000 dollars and up
SO... there you are...

OrangeOne
07-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmm, there are only two sounds I'd associate specifically with a turbo:

a. The whine of the turbo itself
b. The blow-off valve / wastegate sound, the "pssssh".

I know nothing about the car you're talking about (i'm an aussie and we don't have them here), but you'll not be able to get either of those sounds from an exhaust.

A bigger exhaust will make the car louder, but that's often all. The right exhaust & possibly extractors too, will get you some over-run / de-rev type sound on gear-changes (assuming we're talking about a manual/stick here).

Go to a shop - they'll talk you through any changes and what you can expect (sound, power gain OR loss!, etc etc), and give you some installation warranty too. I don't know about the US - muffler stores here are cheap-as-chips for what they do and usually helpful too.

Afterthought: Is the car a turbo? Can't think why i didn't wonder that to start with. If it IS a turbo, then maybe any changes you make will accentuate the sounds you already have...

zhan
07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
oh and about muffler inlet size...
normal cars are 2" to 2.25" from the factory
if you want to just add the muffler... then u have to go with factory sizing... (get it measured)
if u want to get the custom or prefabricated set up
here is the rule
they usually dont make 2.25" set ups because performance gain is minimal
2.5" and 3" are the normal choices
if ur car is turbo (which is not the case for u) then u go 3" to make full use of the turbo by enlarging the exhaust pipe
if ur car is normally aspirated (ur car) then go with 2.5"
3" exhaust u might lose back-pressure that create torque... with lower torque ur car is slower in everyday driving

TokyopunK
07-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Thank you all, I will probably go to the car shop by my house and see what they say. I will look into Magnaflow and Flowmaster mufflers.

Caswell
07-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Thank you all, I will probably go to the car shop by my house and see what they say. I will look into Magnaflow and Flowmaster mufflers.

A custom setup is probably your best bet for that car. There are plenty of off-the-shelf options for the Alero's sister car, the Grand Am, but most of them are meant to replace the Grand Am GT's dual outlet muffler. You'd have to cut the rear bumper to make those work on an Alero - I've seen it done, and it doesn't look good.

Custom exhaust work is actually surprisingly affordable.

zhan
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
A custom setup is probably your best bet for that car. There are plenty of off-the-shelf options for the Alero's sister car, the Grand Am, but most of them are meant to replace the Grand Am GT's dual outlet muffler. You'd have to cut the rear bumper to make those work on an Alero - I've seen it done, and it doesn't look good.

Custom exhaust work is actually surprisingly affordable.

yeah but anything that involves flex-joints are ridiculously expensive...
for my dual set up it requires the use of flex joints... and flex joints cost sooo much $$$$
=( so custom isnt cheap for my car...but for single exhaust set up it doesnt require flex joints so its probably cheaper

Caswell
07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Yup. The only flex joint on the Alero is between the exhaust manifold and the cat. Chances are the OP is going for a catback at most, and probably nothing more than replacing the original muffler and exhaust tips.

zhan
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Yup. The only flex joint on the Alero is between the exhaust manifold and the cat. Chances are the OP is going for a catback at most, and probably nothing more than replacing the original muffler and exhaust tips.

yeah but aftermarket exhaust on an Alero?
Sounds a bit weak to put it on a domestic family sedan type of car...
it will most likely reduce ride quality with drone ...
original poster should not get it welded... just that incase after a week of blasting the exhaust noise at wide open throttle... it does get boring...

my old exhaust didnt get boring after a long time just because it made this exotic tone... that was 95% similar to the Ferrari F360 (aka SICKKK)