PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Poll

TW Staff
02-19-2004, 05:10 PM
We've had a few requests to include avatars (personal photos, graphics). However, we've also received complaints about the new board being too cluttered. Please vote on whether you'd like avatars included or not. Thanks, Don/Tennis Warehouse

jayserinos99
02-19-2004, 05:16 PM
My only big gripe with avatars is that they can get to be big for some dial-up users to load. If it's kept at a minimum (like 100x100 and less than 5k), then it's okay IMO.

Deuce
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Is an avatar officially a bell, or a whistle?

Either way, it is colossally unimportant - or ought to be - for anyone over age 12.

How about asking us for our opinions about more important things than this?

Verbal_Kint
02-20-2004, 03:19 AM
Either way, it is colossally unimportant - or ought to be - for anyone over age 12.

Deuce, it actually has its uses. You can identify a poster by his picture instead of his name, which saves quite some time because we process a picture a lot faster.

Marnix

AAAA
02-20-2004, 04:11 AM
If the picture is unrepresentative of the individual then there is no gain. Also many professionally designed icons which you see in Windows XP and other applications are so cryptic they become useless to me.

Pictures and video inparticular kill internet bandwidth, server hard disk space aswell as increasing HTML download times to our browsers.

Everything you see is processed by the brain consciously or unconsciously. What I call 'HTML noise' detracts from the real content and can be distracting.

The content of messages should be much more important than the author so devoting more browser real-estate to the message is IMO priority.

Anonymous
02-20-2004, 05:20 AM

So, it should fit right in with you.

python
02-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Don, I like avatars. You should be aware, though, that buggy upload avatar code has allowed crackers/script kiddies in the past to deface or otherwise damage some messageboards. I'm sure the problem has been fixed by now, but it never hurts to be extra cautious.

Please be sure to investigate this feature of phpbb thoroughly before you introduce it. Thanks.

penpal
02-20-2004, 07:10 AM
I'll place a vote against avatars.

Sampragassi
02-20-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't like the way things are going on this board. The content is going to go down hill, mark my words. I mean just look at this post for example.

Gaines Hillix
02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
What tennis related value would Avatars add to the content of this site?
None, IMO.

Sampragassi
02-20-2004, 02:46 PM
And emoticons do add something?? Of course not. Its all just gimmicks.

What used to be one of the best boards out there (I've been a loyal follower for 5 years) is now a piece of Cattle-trucking silly hampton-wick monkey. If you know cockney rhyming slang you'll know what I'm talking about.

matchpoints
02-21-2004, 05:12 PM

How about asking us for our opinions about more important things than this?

It's Time to Think Happy Thoughts! and I WANT avatars!

DDRnrgONxtc
02-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I support the avatar. Also nice sig Matchpoints didnt know any1 else here watched Prince of tennis

Koz
02-22-2004, 08:18 AM
What's everyones problem? THIS is the problem with tennis..everyone who plays are stuffy old white men who can't handle change...why don't you start b****ing about bringing back wooden racquets for gosh sakes? "Oh whine whine, I don't like the boards, they're too new-fangled". Welcome to the rest of the internet people, we've pretty much caught up with every other forum out there. I give mad props (kudos, credit, congrats for you older guys), to TW for keeping their 1st class website/forums up to date.

As for avatars, I'd say I'm forum (get it? :) ). I understand the concern that they may slow dialup, so that should be taken into consideration if they're implimented. However, all the other forums I've visited have avatars (some you have to make a donation to use though), and I personally have a MUCH easier time identifying who's who if they have an avatar. IMO, they make forum members more recognizable, and you start to get a better sense of the members' individual personalities and whatnot.

Tim Tiger Henman
02-22-2004, 01:56 PM
THIS is the problem with tennis..everyone who plays are stuffy old white men who can't handle change

Who are you calling white? I resent that remark and consider it a slur on my character. Sir, I demand satisfaction!

You make us sound like those two old men at the end of the "Muppet Show".

Why do we always come here? I'll guess we'll never know. Its like a kind of torture to have to watch the show ...

@wright
02-22-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not white, I'm pigment-challenged.

AAAA
02-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I personally have a MUCH easier time identifying who's who if they have an avatar. IMO, they make forum members more recognizable, and you start to get a better sense of the members' individual personalities and whatnot.

As Deuce said '12 year old kids'. Something is wrong when you feel a need to develop an emotional involvement with cyber-entities.

Verbal_Kint
02-22-2004, 04:19 PM
There are real people behind these 'cyber-entities' though. For me, who posted what is resonably important, so easier identification of posters is a plus for me.

Marnix

Deuce
02-23-2004, 02:07 AM
The 'signature' thing at the bottom tells enough about the poster - without taking any additional time to load.

Also, you get to 'know' posters by the content of their writings - not by a little photo they put up.

I don't want to view you as a 12 year old, Marnix, because I like you.

Verbal_Kint
02-23-2004, 06:20 AM
:shock: but I wanna put my fourheaded picture in there!!! :cry:

It wouldn't be a disaster for me if they're not gonna be incorporated, but I do like them.

Marnix

Koz
02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
THIS is the problem with tennis..everyone who plays are stuffy old white men who can't handle change

Who are you calling white? I resent that remark and consider it a slur on my character. Sir, I demand satisfaction!

You make us sound like those two old men at the end of the "Muppet Show".

Why do we always come here? I'll guess we'll never know. Its like a kind of torture to have to watch the show ...

Heh...is a "sorry" satisfaction enough? Not sorry for my comment of course, just sorry if it offended anyone *shrug*.

As for the 12 year old emotional remark, I don't think that's an age thing, I think it's having a normal and even healthy sociable sense. You read these peoples' posts day in and day out...do you want to feel like you're talking to an android? Or a person, someone who -belive it or not- has their own experiences and lives *outside the internet* that helps to form their views and opinions that they share with us here.

Personally, I don't give a darn if they put up avatars or not. Give legitamate reasons as to why you don't want them though. Calling people childish because they happen to like to try to know the people they're talking with, however, is pretty darn immature if you ask me. Go complain to mommy :P

Evan
02-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Definantly want avatars.

Evan

Brian Purdie
02-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I like the avitar, b/c I know that one day someone might see it and say "Hey, I have that tennis shirt. I'll sell it to that sap!." And 'viola', my pitiful effort will be rewarded.

Steve F.
02-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Plenty of opinions, plenty of tennis players.
Thanks to TW for even polling us on what we'd prefer - for those who suggest they'll stop posting because they don't like the new look

...don't judge a book by its' cover. It's still the same book.

As soon as all these kinks get worked out -- and the Slam season begins in earnest -- no one will care what the boards look like --

As long as everyone can actually still load the boards.

I favor avatars. No big deal. But I've got highspeed (broadband) - as I'm sure does everyone who doesn't mind the extra graphics.

I'd just say that the more graphic intensive the board becomes, the tougher it will be for dial-up users to log in.

I'd suggest a simpler text based option for users who want it -- if possible. So we don't lose posters. So this board doesn't homogenize...

...I don't know the demographics of broadband, but if dial-up users can't log in easily, they may stop coming, and TW may not want to lose that market segment just because they don't have highspeed. I wouldn't want to miss the entertaining posts.

Also - Heavier graphics will be more expensive for some European posters, who usually have to pay their internet providers by the minute. (At least in France.)

topspin
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
I think an option to view avatars or not should be available at the same time if avatars do enter this board

Evan
02-23-2004, 04:53 PM
I think an option to view avatars or not should be available at the same time if avatars do enter this board

phpBB boards don't have that option. Is it really THAT big of a deal for you to view an avatar?

Evan

topspin
02-23-2004, 05:21 PM
sure it is, based on what i've seen on other boards, avatars get really out of hand and they clutter up the screen and make pages much longer to load, so if you want to view them fine, but personally i don't feel like viewing skulls and crazy images if i don't have to

chad shaver
02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
It isn't for people with DSL or cable modems, but for people with a dial-up connection, it can be verrrrry sllllloooowwww. Click. Get up. Go to the bathroom. Go to the fridge. Sit and wait for the page to finish loading.

Deuce
02-24-2004, 12:51 AM
The 'benefit' of avatars is non-existent compared to the drawbacks that chad, topspin, and Steve mention about avatars significantly increasing loading time - especially for dial-up users, of which I would imagine there is a significant percentage.

magiset
02-25-2004, 10:09 AM
And who said this board was too white, not progressive enough? A majority of people want the incarnation of Vishnu in pixel form, wonderful. From the ashes of ash wednesday arrive the Avatars of Tennis Dualism. Horray! Hooray!

armand
04-01-2007, 06:37 AM
~bump~ **Time Warp**

Wow, at one time there were no avatars? Wow, look how few reponses this thread got; in today's age this would turn into a 10 page thread in no time!

Actually, I like it better this way because today things are very messy. However I don't think removing avatars would fix things because new users can't use avatars anyway. Then again...

PS Deuce, couldn't beat 'em, so you joined 'em, huh?http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

tennis_nerd22
04-01-2007, 07:36 AM
dont remove avatars. if you have to remove something, i would say remove signatures then

SFrazeur
04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Just to note that if any user does not wish to see avatars you can go to "User CP", then "Edit Options" you can un-check "show avatars" as well as "show signatures".

drakulie
04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
dont remove avatars. if you have to remove something, i would say remove signatures then

Yeah, don't remove avatars. Remove users like tennis nerd! LOL. J/k

This thread is old.

CanadianChic
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
We've had a few requests to include avatars (personal photos, graphics). However, we've also received complaints about the new board being too cluttered. Please vote on whether you'd like avatars included or not. Thanks, Don/Tennis Warehouse

I enjoy avatars but can live without them. I know a lot of people really, really champ at the bit to get one so I will vote yes for those. Whatever you decide is cool with me. :p

SFrazeur
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
In case people did not see it this poll was made on 02-19-2004. Avatars are here to stay.

dowjones
04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I think it personalizes the forum. Keep 'em!

By the way...

dowjones
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
SFrazeur, thanks, didn't even see the date. Aren't old times great! :p

Baghdatis72
04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
I think it would be nice if we could use avatars of size 120x120 pixels for example and if there was a choice for forum skin with a tennis theme :D
That would make the forum a much better and more fun experience imo.

drakulie
04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
We should be able to place pictures/avatars in our signature.

whoster69
04-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah, it gives a little personality.

CanadianChic
04-01-2007, 09:48 PM
In case people did not see it this poll was made on 02-19-2004. Avatars are here to stay.

Haha, good to know. I suppose this serves me right for reading the first page, skimming and posting my thoughts on this fresh, new hot topic debate, eh? ;)

shojun25
04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
i like avatars. it makes the user show character and it can easily identify others. i like to see what others are like.

Tchocky
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM
You need to increase the parameters for avatars. We are limited by the small size of the avatars that can be included.

tennis_nerd22
04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I think it would be nice if we could use avatars of size 120x120 pixels for example and if there was a choice for forum skin with a tennis theme :D
That would make the forum a much better and more fun experience imo.

^ thats very true. this forum, though it looks respectable and decent, does look a bit boring. now, that doesnt mean it isnt a great place or that it isnt informative, but if you're looking for ways to make it better... themes would be great.

ya we know, or at least I did, but just wanted to post anyways,

Yeah, don't remove avatars. Remove users like tennis nerd! LOL. J/k

This thread is old.

aww you make me want to cry............. :o

lol jk :D

Aykhan Mammadov
04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
The forum is a place where different individuals share their opinion on different subjects. Those individuals can't be similar as f...g communists, they must be of different colors, views, races and nations. They must carry different names. Same are avatars, they are as names, they must be different, attractive. These small graphics influence very positive to nerves of posters, they help to collect an opinion about a poster, and in the end they decorate our forum. Why to prohibit them ? Isn't it stupid ?

KingOfTennis
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
avatar is kinda like a face of a person. i rekon its essential in forums. but i suggest u make it bigger

Fee
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
We should be able to place pictures/avatars in our signature.

Oh please no. MTF and other boards have that and I think it is horribly trashy. Would be nice if the avatars could be a wee bit larger, but that's it.

iplaybetter
04-28-2007, 09:39 AM
I like them, it took me over 30mins to format it correctly

Voltron
04-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh please no. MTF and other boards have that and I think it is horribly trashy. Would be nice if the avatars could be a wee bit larger, but that's it.
I concur with that. Besides that, the page loads slower, and I have yet to see a signature-picture-thing that doesn't make it's owner look like A) a ****** bag B) A 5 year old girl Or C) Some one that lives in his/her/it's parents basement. I would like my Avatar to be 100 X 100 Pixels though, and perhaps change the 21.5 KB or whatever to about 56 KB or so. Then you could at least make simple animations.

Deuce
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
All the humorous psychoanalyses of the 'meaning of avatars' (above) aside, the only thing avatars do is allow people to identify the poster a little faster.

armand
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Deuce, could you explain the meaning of your avatar? I've always wanted to know. And while we're on the subject, I would also like to know what "a not so parallel universe" means too.

Voltron
04-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Bet you don't know the deep personal meaning of my avatar!

SoBad
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Bet you don't know the deep personal meaning of my avatar!

Why don't you explain the deep personal meaning of your avatar!:D

Voltron
04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
You have to guess it.