07-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted in the TW comments section by rustsurfr:

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2006-07-27/72.php

300Gkid
07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
fantastic, well written and i hope ESPN takes it to heart

srvnvly
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Excellent find on a topic that has haunted a lot of us lately; how can ESPN be the grand slam network (ok, ESPN2, but the parent is ESPN/ Disney/ whatever) when it shows crappy coverage of sometimes less-than appealing matches? Do we really have to watch every Williams sister match? Mimic USAs US Open coverage and you (ESPN) will become a better network.

Fee
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
She's on my friends list! Poor Lynn got ripped for her Sampras column and it wasn't that bad.

dmastous
07-28-2006, 06:12 PM
All of this is why I dream of a day when we all have high speed internet and IPTV. We pick the matches we want to watch and we download them and watch them.

rustsurfr
07-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks again "looseswing" for reposting the thread. It is very rare we get to see good broadcast coverage of tennis. I really wish that the ATP and WTA would form their own network if possible. I dont know if anyone follows baseball and is familiar with the "YES" Channel (New York Yankee Telivision). But they show all the games live, with 1 or 2 replay times. And inbetween games they show video biographies of great players of today as well as of the past. There is always something showing that is related to the team and the sport. Why couldn't an idea like this be used for tennis? They could air all the big tournaments, singles, doubles, mixed...everything....all day long! I dont know how many more times i will be able to survive watching a match go into 5 sets and have it cut off by "THE WORLD SERIES OF POKER" or "THE WORLDS STRONGEST MAN COMPETITION" or whatever gimick ESPN has to offer. It is quite sad :(

punch
07-28-2006, 09:27 PM
All of this is why I dream of a day when we all have high speed internet and IPTV. We pick the matches we want to watch and we download them and watch them.

Amen to that, sometime in the near future though I believe there will be a place we can pick the matches, watch them with a decently high quality on the intranet, for free.

It could be just like TV, commercials and everything, and ratings on the intranet would be the same as ratings on TV.