PDA

View Full Version : mac bookpro

looseswing
07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone have this computer? My friend has it and I was considering getting it because I can get a very steep discount (about two hundered dollars and a free ipod with it). The only problem is that his internet seems to go much slower than mine (he uses safari i use internet explorer) and his computer gets very hot. Any comments/adivce?

DragonNeedSpank
07-31-2006, 03:33 PM
sounds lik it has lots of flaws

dmastous
07-31-2006, 03:55 PM
I've heard Apple's laptops get very hot. But most laptops get very hot. The best laptop processor is the Pentium M and that still gets pretty warm.
As for the internet speed, that's usually more a product of the connection than the computer. What kind of connection does your friend have? DSL, Cable? Dialup?
If it's DSL or dial up, how are the phone lines? Is there a lot of interference in their phone? How close are they to the DSL company's CO? The further away you are the slower the connection will be.
In the end there are a lot of variables that will effect an internet connection, the least of which is the computer itself (though the amount of RAM and processor speed can also have an effect).

tennisprofl
07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone have this computer? My friend has it and I was considering getting it because I can get a very steep discount (about two hundered dollars and a free ipod with it). The only problem is that his internet seems to go much slower than mine (he uses safari i use internet explorer) and his computer gets very hot. Any comments/adivce?
can you get me that discount???

looseswing
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
can you get me that discount???
I'm sorry buddy, it is only available to Harvard students.

looseswing
07-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I've heard Apple's laptops get very hot. But most laptops get very hot. The best laptop processor is the Pentium M and that still gets pretty warm.
As for the internet speed, that's usually more a product of the connection than the computer. What kind of connection does your friend have? DSL, Cable? Dialup?
If it's DSL or dial up, how are the phone lines? Is there a lot of interference in their phone? How close are they to the DSL company's CO? The further away you are the slower the connection will be.
In the end there are a lot of variables that will effect an internet connection, the least of which is the computer itself (though the amount of RAM and processor speed can also have an effect).

Well I don't think that any of these are factors because we both are connected to the campus wireless system and my crappy Toshiba goes faster than his macbook, and we work about two feet away from each other!

tennisprofl
07-31-2006, 04:01 PM
u go to harvard? nice

dmastous
07-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Well I don't think that any of these are factors because we both are connected to the campus wireless system and my crappy Toshiba goes faster than his macbook, and we work about two feet away from each other!
That's another factor. Perhaps the wireless card in the Apple isn't that good.
Apple's really don't compete well with Windows PCs in terms of internet speed. There are 2 good reasons to go with Apple. 1. As of now there are no viruses or spyware that target Apple's OS or the Sahara browser. 2. Ease of use.
If you've already got familiarity with the PC and aren't getting killed by viruses and spyware (which you can cut down by switching to Mozilla Firefox) there's really no compelling reason to get an Apple other than the price you mentioned. But I just picked up a Pentium M laptop for $600. Can your Apple deal beat that (no it didn't come with a free Ipod, but I just got a 40 gig Ipod through Ubid for $160. So laptop & Ipod = $760. How much are they asking for the Apple?)?

looseswing
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
They are selling for $1500 for the second best version of the macbook pro.

dmastous
07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
They are selling for $1500 for the second best version of the macbook pro.
Let me get my calculator out.......
Looks like......
Let's see subtract 760 from 1500 and you get.....
740!!!!
Looks like we have winner!!!! :cool:
(I have a very slow calculator :p )

looseswing
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Let me get my calculator out.......
Looks like......
Let's see subtract 760 from 1500 and you get.....
740!!!!
Looks like we have winner!!!! :cool:
(I have a very slow calculator :p )
????

dmastous
07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
My point is I got a Pentium M laptop and a 40 gig Ipod (not video btw) for almost half what you are saying a Macbook Pro will cost you. In my book that means the Pentium M is a better deal. And it runs cooler than an Apple.
It's probably not as fast as the Macbook Pro since the MbP has a new Intel Dual Core processor that's supposed to be very fast. But it's more than enough for what I need it to be.

35ft6
07-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Firefox is usually faster than Safari for most web browsing.

Yes, it's true, web browsing speed is one area where Windows has an edge. It's negligible under most conditions, though. I wouldn't choose windows to see web pages a fraction of a second faster.

looseswing
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Well I need a computer from around here and although the Pentium M may be cheaper that does not mean it is a better deal. I just thought that because the regular selling price on my model is something like $1800-$2000 I am saving about 22%. I am not sure how much you save on the Pentium M and if it is a better computer than the macbook. Anyone else have any recomendations of whether I should purchase it?

edit: and that price does not include the Ipod so in essence I am saving about two hundred more dollars so I save something like 32%

MegacedU
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I Just bought a MacBook and I absolutely love it. It's so user-friendly.

VAmazona
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I Just bought a MacBook and I absolutely love it. It's so user-friendly.

Same here.

I got a student discount and got the Ipod. I sold the Ipod on ****. I paid around a grand for my computer when all is said and done. Be careful on some of those "really good deals" your book store may be offering you, it usually requires you to buy Apple Care.

35ft6
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Cool, Meg. Good choice.

southpaw
08-01-2006, 09:38 AM
looseswing,
If that's the mid range macbook pro, 2.16ghz core duo, $1500 is a great deal. Normal price for that model is $2500. At that discount, even the lower end 2ghz model would be more bang for your buck than you could get from Dell, HP, Toshiba,...

With Apple going to Intel CPUs, if later you decide that you don't like OSX and the other mac software, you can buy a copy of Windows and boot into that. Right now I am typing this on a regular macbook running Windows Vista beta and it works fine.

One final thing, there is a Apple developer conference scheduled for next week, and Apple often releases new or updated hardware at that event. That can also include price reductions in the current models. I don't think the macbooks are due for any changes, but it might be best to wait.

bleno567
08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I got a macbook pro. I love it. The computer hardware has worked flawlessly. The only thing was at first, the apple software had some bugs in it when running on the intel platform. I downloaded all the updates for the OS, and since the software has run flawlessly also.

looseswing
08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
looseswing,
If that's the mid range macbook pro, 2.16ghz core duo, $1500 is a great deal. Normal price for that model is $2500. At that discount, even the lower end 2ghz model would be more bang for your buck than you could get from Dell, HP, Toshiba,...

With Apple going to Intel CPUs, if later you decide that you don't like OSX and the other mac software, you can buy a copy of Windows and boot into that. Right now I am typing this on a regular macbook running Windows Vista beta and it works fine.

One final thing, there is a Apple developer conference scheduled for next week, and Apple often releases new or updated hardware at that event. That can also include price reductions in the current models. I don't think the macbooks are due for any changes, but it might be best to wait.

It is the 2ghz model that they have on sale. The one thing is that since labtops develop so quickly that I should perhaps wait until next year just in case anything new comes out because I have had my current one for about a year and a half, and it might be a waste if I buy something as expensive as that and the offer would still be available to me then.

OrangeOne
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM
It is the 2ghz model that they have on sale. The one thing is that since labtops develop so quickly that I should perhaps wait until next year just in case anything new comes out because I have had my current one for about a year and a half, and it might be a waste if I buy something as expensive as that and the offer would still be available to me then.

That's always the worst argument in computing purchases, imho, the "I should wait until next year for something new to come out".

Rule a: If you need a new machine - yours cannot run or store at fast enough speeds what you need to run & store, you should buy one.

Rule b: If you want a new machine and have the $$ and will source happiness from it, you should buy one.

Rule c: Otherwise, don't buy one.

But to wait, "in case anything new comes out", is silly *unless you know you're waiting for something specific*. If you know the say, widescreen version is launched in 2 months, and you want / need that, wait for that. Otherwise - well capacities & performance roughly doubles in computing every 2 years, in an incremental fashion. If you wait for a generically better model, you want the best you can own in your lifetime, wait until you're dead, have the funeral home buy you one and have it buried with you ;)

35ft6
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
^ I agree with you... at the same time we're talking about possible price reductions in a matter of days. Apple is pretty predictable when it comes to that.

MegacedU
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Same here.

I got a student discount and got the Ipod. I sold the Ipod on ****. I paid around a grand for my computer when all is said and done. Be careful on some of those "really good deals" your book store may be offering you, it usually requires you to buy Apple Care.
Yeah, I put a whole bunch of options on mine and paid close to two grand. I'm really happy with it though.