PDA

View Full Version : Brad Gilbert describes himself as a "Jewish Redneck"

Tchocky
08-01-2006, 07:09 AM
From Eleanor Preston writing for The Guardian: "Talk to the people who know Brad Gilbert best and the picture that emerges of Andy Murray's new coach is full of contradictions. But then what else would you expect of a man who describes himself as a Jewish redneck? On the one hand he is an all-American man's man who loves Cadillacs and obsesses about the Oakland Raiders NFL team. On the other he is, in his own words, a "neurotic jew" who is said to be so phobic about germs that he carries anti-bacterial hand lotion with him everywhere....According to one ESPN insider, Gilbert has "an ego the size of Centre Court" and frequently mispronounced players' names. Yet despite the reservations of some colleagues, executives at ESPN remained dazzled by Gilbert and, by all accounts, would happily have continued to pay him around 75,000 (pounds) per grand slam tournament had the offer from Murray and the Lawn Tennis Association not come up."

I didn't know Brad was a Jew. I always thought he was kind of a redneck. He's from Fresno for chrissake. I can't believe ESPN or anybody would pay this guy 75,000 pounds for his services as a commentator. I wonder what ESPN pay Cliffie & PMac. With his commentating and coaching, Gilbert is making more than he ever did as a player. I guess there really is life after tennis.

shrakkie
08-01-2006, 07:24 AM
From Eleanor Preston writing for The Guardian: "Talk to the people who know Brad Gilbert best and the picture that emerges of Andy Murray's new coach is full of contradictions. But then what else would you expect of a man who describes himself as a Jewish redneck? On the one hand he is an all-American man's man who loves Cadillacs and obsesses about the Oakland Raiders NFL team. On the other he is, in his own words, a "neurotic jew" who is said to be so phobic about germs that he carries anti-bacterial hand lotion with him everywhere....According to one ESPN insider, Gilbert has "an ego the size of Centre Court" and frequently mispronounced players' names. Yet despite the reservations of some colleagues, executives at ESPN remained dazzled by Gilbert and, by all accounts, would happily have continued to pay him around 75,000 (pounds) per grand slam tournament had the offer from Murray and the Lawn Tennis Association not come up."

I didn't know Brad was a Jew. I always thought he was kind of a redneck. He's from Fresno for chrissake. I can't believe ESPN or anybody would pay this guy 75,000 pounds for his services as a commentator. I wonder what ESPN pay Cliffie & PMac. With his commentating and coaching, Gilbert is making more than he ever did as a player. I guess there really is life after tennis.

what has the fact that he is jewish got to do with anything?:confused:

Craig Sheppard
08-01-2006, 07:32 AM
what has the fact that he is jewish got to do with anything?:confused:

I think he was pointing out the contradiction... it's not like you see Jewish rednecks every day!

Objective Danny
08-01-2006, 07:42 AM
For the great unwashed, 75,000 pounds equals $131,250 dollars. ESPN values his opinion. He's making a killing!

whealben
08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
For the great unwashed, 75,000 pounds equals $131,250 dollars. ESPN values his opinion. He's making a killing!

:mrgreen: Not as much as the LTA value him! He's getting a cool £500,000 a year from them. (not sure what that is in dollars)

I dont know about a Jewish Redneck, I'd describe him as a very astute businessman.

He's got himself protected in case young Andy's volatile temper clashes with his and he falls out with Brad as spectacuarly as Roddick did.

More about Brad's thoughts HERE (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/comment/0,,1833838,00.html)

ShimSham
08-01-2006, 08:04 AM
:mrgreen: Not as much as the LTA value him! He's getting a cool £500,000 a year from them. (not sure what that is in dollars)

500,000.00 GBP = 935,404.35 USD

Brad is doing well for himself! :mrgreen:

shrakkie
08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
I think he was pointing out the contradiction... it's not like you see Jewish rednecks every day!

riiiiite

atatu
08-01-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't think he's from Fresno, I thought he was from the Bay area. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Brad Stine ?

Objective Danny
08-01-2006, 08:14 AM
I wonder if Gilbert need an assistant? I'd pack his bags, answer his cell and check his email for $80,000 per years. . . Plus expenses.

Objective Danny
08-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Brad Gilbert (born August 9, 1961 in Oakland, California) is a tennis coach, a television tennis commentator, and former professional tennis player.

Gilbert joined the professional tour in 1982 and won his first top-level singles title later that year in Taipei. His first doubles title came in 1985 in Tel Aviv. He won a total of 20 top-level singles titles during his career, the biggest being the historic Cincinnati event in 1989. He was also runner-up in a further 20 singles events, including Cincinnati in 1990 (where he lost to future Hall of Fame inductee Stefan Edberg) and the Paris Indoors in 1987 and 1988.

His most successful year on the tour was 1989, during which he won five singles titles, including Cincinnati. His best performance at a Grand Slam tournament was at the 1987 US Open, where he reached the quarter-finals. He was also runner-up at the inaugural Grand Slam Cup in 1990. He won Bronze Medal in the men's singles at the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul. His career-high singles ranking was World No. 4, which he reached in January 1990.

Unlike many other professional players of his era, Gilbert did not have a powerful serve, a dangerous forehand or backhand, a flashy volley, or a lighting smash. His best asset was his ability to keep the ball in play. He hit the ball most often at a deliberately slow pace but with accuracy. He kept an open stance and did not make many turns when at the baseline. This enabled him to control the game through oversight and tempo despite his defensive style. He built his game around destroying his opponent's rhythm. He would force the other player into long rallies by hitting the ball high over the net and deep into his opponent's court. If an opponent employed a slow pace, then Gilbert would attack decisively, often at the net. Although he was easy to get along with outside the court, Gilbert could be (deliberately or not) annoying during a match, often challenging calls or complaining about trivial things. Both his style of play and his mental approach were that of a snake; this may have been the only way for him to survive. To Gilbert's credit, he was fast on his feet and had accurate passing shots.

Gilbert retired as player in 1994. Since then, he has been highly successful as a tennis coach.

Gilbert was coach to Andre Agassi for eight years from 1994 to 2002. During that period, Agassi won six Grand Slam singles titles, making it the joint-most successful coach-player partnership in the Open era (along side Tony Roche's period as coach of Ivan Lendl). Agassi described Gilbert as "the greatest coach of all time" as a result of the pair's highly successful relationship.

Gilbert went on to coach Andy Roddick, who won the 2003 US Open, but they parted ways in early 2004. Roddick's form has taken a noticeable downturn since this break-up, and many believe this is testament to Gilbert's competence as a tennis coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Gilbert

andfor
08-01-2006, 08:33 AM
I wonder if Gilbert need an assistant? I'd pack his bags, answer his cell and check his email for $80,000 per years. . . Plus expenses.

He might pay for your expenses if your lucky that would be about it. The worst thing would be your sanity. You would have to listen to him talk from sun up to sun down. All the while he would never talk to you or acknowledge you except to ask you to carry his bags and fetch him stuff. It would be very demeaning. That's Brad.

tangerine
08-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Good to see the foreign media continue on with their stereotype of "ugly Americans." The British media will be feeding off of Gilbert for months.

According to one ESPN insider, Gilbert has "an ego the size of Centre Court" and frequently mispronounced players' names.
Brad Gilbert may be annoying with a big ego but he's also entertaining and very, very smart.

Also, nobody deliberately mispronounces players' names, it is often just a difference of inflection. The US has many different regional accents and I don't understand why foreigners insist on getting all huffy when an American pronounces somebody's name differently. Big deal. I've heard the BBC commentators mispronounce American names all the time. Reasonable people understand that it is not a sign of disrespect to the player.

whealben
08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Good to see the foreign media continue on with their stereotype of "ugly Americans." The British media will be feeding off of Gilbert for months.

Brad Gilbert may be annoying with a big ego but he's also entertaining and very, very smart.

Also, nobody deliberately mispronounces players' names, it is often just a difference of inflection. The US has many different regional accents and I don't understand why foreigners insist on getting all huffy when an American pronounces somebody's name differently. Big deal. I've heard the BBC commentators mispronounce American names all the time. Reasonable people understand that it is not a sign of disrespect to the player.

:D Good point. I'm trying to remember how many times Martina had won Wimbledon before the umpires could pronounce Navratilova.

She used to get really ratty about it, and who could blame her?

Capt. Willie
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
The only other one I can think of off-hand is Kinky Friedman.

El Diablo
08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
$131,000 for broadcasting a grand slam is not unreasonable, as students of economics can attest. Most of us slobs get paid based on the utility of our work, but economists speak of the principle of "rents" for entertainers. Gilberts compensation amounts to less than $10,000 a day. Now each of us watching the broadcast is "renting" Gilbert for that period of time. If say a million people are watching, it works out to less than a penny each of us pays for Gilbert's services (out of our cable bill). In fact it's even far less than that as ESPN has lots of revenue other than our cable bills (advertisers, other services they sell) with which to pay Gilbert. So we are each paying a small fraction of a penny per day towards his services. Still feel ripped off? Sorry. I know people who testify as experts in court for various matters and get $3000 to $5000 a day for their services, and nobody ever heard of any of them, so 10,000 for a celebrity is not out of line. It's just not fun being a common slob.

Dedans Penthouse
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
"Talk to the people who know Brad Gilbert best and the picture that emerges of Andy Murray's new coach is full of contradictions. But then what else would you expect of a man who describes himself as a Jewish redneck?
Not quite Brad.

"Jewish redneck" has already been taken by the one and only; the next governor of the great state of Texas:

Mr. Kinky Friedman, he of "Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys" fame.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/kinky+friedman/they+aint+making+jews+like+jesus+anymore_20079424. html