PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Bryant & I'm new

Bryant
08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey guy/girls,

My name is Bryant. I'm new to this forum & tennis. Just started taking it more seriously over the summer...
I play with some old Head racquet I got at target for $15 four years ago.

I recently switched to a semi-western from a eastern grip in attempt to keep the ball in the court on my forehands with a decent amount of power. My serve is my biggest weakness, I'm developing a topspin serve and have a decent (though slow) slice. My flat serve...is bad. I have a hard time controlling it...usually it goes long. My backhand is developing, experimenting with a two handed BH to see if I can get more control/power. I'm thinking about playing HS tennis if I get better. I would rate myself a 3.0 - 3.5. I'm pretty good at using different spins on the ball and attacking the net occasionally.

I think thats it for now, look for me to post some questions about serving/backhands/grips etc.

zhan
08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
hi nice to meet u
first thing first get a real racquet
second try to get a trainer
third play a lot of tennis

how old r u?

punch
08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah ditch that old (and probably a bit warped) racquet first. Start searching here on TW for ones that might fit your game, at a reasonable price. I would not recommend going all out on a 200 dollar racquet if you are a beginner.

zhan
08-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah ditch that old (and probably a bit warped) racquet first. Start searching here on TW for ones that might fit your game, at a reasonable price. I would not recommend going all out on a 200 dollar racquet if you are a beginner.
hey you...
im a noob swinging an n6.1 here...
so -.- :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
lol

ChipNCharge
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd just get a Triple Threat Scream OS, Triple Threat Bandit OS, or a Thundercloud. They're good, inexpensive racquets. All three are $60 here at TW.

zhan
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I'd just get a Triple Threat Scream OS, Triple Threat Bandit OS, or a Thundercloud. They're good, inexpensive racquets. All three are $60 here at TW.
i would say get one of those in OS and string with good strings...
like maybe ALU...
because strings make a world of difference
then as game developes get a real racquet like n6.1 or RDS 001

Zets147
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
When I was a beginner I started out with the Triple Threat Warrior while my bro bought a Triple Threat Bandit. I have tried them both out at the time, so in my opinion and experiences with the two, get the triple threat warrior instead.

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
wen i was a beginning i also started with a crappy raquet and i kept breaking the freaking string... t.t cheap racquet..... i used a wilson tour 110 as my first one then i moved on to Wilson nCode nSix-One Tour.... lol but i moved to a realli big step but to me i think of it use a more advance racquet the faster u learn.... soo... but i have NOT DECIDED WUT STRING I SHOULD USE!!!! =(!!!!

Bryant
08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
hi nice to meet u
first thing first get a real racquet
second try to get a trainer
third play a lot of tennis

how old r u?

I am 15

1) Would like to, have to convince my parents though (working on it :mrgreen: )
2) Don't know of any around here. There beginner lessons taught by high schoolers...seen them work...not impressive.
3) Have done...played almost everyday for over a month.

I'll take a look at those racquets...but I have very little knowledge when it comes to different racquet technoligies and strings.

ChipNCharge
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
like maybe ALU...

Isn't ALU a polyester string? I wouldn't recommend putting a poly into a stiff frame like the Scream, Bandit, and T-Cloud. I would recommend a 16g multi like Sensation for these frames.

zhan
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I am 15

2) Don't know of any around here. There beginner lessons taught by high schoolers...seen them work...not impressive.
3) Have done...played almost everyday for over a month.

I'll take a look at those racquets...but I have very little knowledge when it comes to different racquet technoligies and strings.

where r u from?
:confused:

Bryant
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
MN, not too far from Twin Cities

simi
08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I am 15

Welcome to the forum, Bryant. It can get brutal some times. Just hang in there. Your desire for a better racket and your parents remind me of something that happened with me a long, long time ago.

At the time, I didn't have the slightest idea how tight my parents were financially. We had six children in our family and my dad worked two, sometimes three jobs just to make ends meet. In those days, the mom stayed home and didn't work outside the house.

In my first year of high school, I went out for the track team. Ran high hurdles. Of course, I needed spikes. Even though my parents didn't have much extra money, they drove me to the only place in Los Angeles that sold Adidas and let me purchase the pair I wanted. It wasn't the best pair, nor the worst pair. But, it did the job. Only now do I realize the sacrifice they made for me.

In your situation, are you able to become a member of your high school tennis team? And, if so, maybe your parents will be much more willing to get you a good racket?

Just a suggestion. That will demonstrate your commitment to the sport for your parents. Try to demo some rackets before you decide on what you want. Good luck.

Bryant
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the forum, Bryant. It can get brutal some times. Just hang in there. Your desire for a better racket and your parents remind me of something that happened with me a long, long time ago.

At the time, I didn't have the slightest idea how tight my parents were financially. We had six children in our family and my dad worked two, sometimes three jobs just to make ends meet. In those days, the mom stayed home and didn't work outside the house.

In my first year of high school, I went out for the track team. Ran high hurdles. Of course, I needed spikes. Even though my parents didn't have much extra money, they drove me to the only place in Los Angeles that sold Adidas and let me purchase the pair I wanted. It wasn't the best pair, nor the worst pair. But, it did the job. Only now do I realize the sacrifice they made for me.

In your situation, are you able to become a member of your high school tennis team? And, if so, maybe your parents will be much more willing to get you a good racket?

Just a suggestion. That will demonstrate your commitment to the sport for your parents. Try to demo some rackets before you decide on what you want. Good luck.

My families not finacially strapped or anything drastic...It just that I've been known to ask for things then stop using them after a month or so (Example: Playstation 2)...I would like to play HS tennis, I played traveling BBall until I was cut last year. I realize I don't have much of a chance in BBall anymore, to short for my position and just not on the same level as others. I've had a lot of fun playing tennis and want to try playing at a higher/organized level. I'm not sure how tryouts work at my school, my cousin played and said for JV, you just have to beat people in games.

Thanks for the replys so far everyone!

tennis_nerd22
08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
like maybe ALU...
because strings make a world of difference
then as game developes get a real racquet like n6.1 or RDS 001

why use a poly if your a beginner without arm problems or string breaking problems? get a good multi... but dont worry zhan, you can learn a lot in the different forums

simi
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
...It just that I've been known to ask for things then stop using them after a month or so (Example: Playstation 2)...

Well, you really can't blame them, can you? You'll have to "prove" to them that you are serious about your tennis. Can you offer to pay half the cost? That is a good start.

I would like to play HS tennis...I've had a lot of fun playing tennis and want to try playing at a higher/organized level. I'm not sure how tryouts work at my school, my cousin played and said for JV, you just have to beat people in games.

First thing you need to do is get in touch with the JV (or varsity) coach. Have a little chat with him to learn how things work. Then, you will be on your way.

Also, (not sure about this), the coach might have a supply of different styles of rackets for you to try out. That might be a good way of determining what would work best for you.

Finally, don't be afraid to use last-year's model racket. They can usually be purchased at a deep discount. Tennis Warehouse is a good source. I'd be willing to bet that people don't replace their rackets very often. I know that the ones I use are getting "old", but since they are not available on the market anymore, I'll continue to use them until they either break or suffer too much racket fatigue.

Bryant
08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, you really can't blame them, can you? You'll have to "prove" to them that you are serious about your tennis. Can you offer to pay half the cost? That is a good start.

First thing you need to do is get in touch with the JV (or varsity) coach. Have a little chat with him to learn how things work. Then, you will be on your way.

Also, (not sure about this), the coach might have a supply of different styles of rackets for you to try out. That might be a good way of determining what would work best for you.

Finally, don't be afraid to use last-year's model racket. They can usually be purchased at a deep discount. Tennis Warehouse is a good source. I'd be willing to bet that people don't replace their rackets very often. I know that the ones I use are getting "old", but since they are not available on the market anymore, I'll continue to use them until they either break or suffer too much racket fatigue.

I don't blame them at all. I've offered to pay...they still don't care...Little nagging will get through to them eventually though :mrgreen:

I have been looking at discontinued racquets as well...it just I'm soo uneducated when it comes to what to look for.

simi
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
I have been looking at discontinued racquets as well...it just I'm soo uneducated when it comes to what to look for.

Pop over to the Raquet sub-forum. You'll learn more than you ever thought possible. Doesn't TW have a "racket finder"? Read the test reviews on TW and read the customer feedback.

Two basic types of rackets, head heavy and head light. Of course, there are even balanced rackets too. Are you a 'baseliner' or a 'serve and volley player' or an 'all courter'. That will determine the balance that you want.

Other things to consider are head size, density of string pattern, and flexibility of the racket. Forget the gimmic-de-jour. That's marketing hype. You don't need that stuff. You got a lot of reading to do. Just remember, "try before you buy".

zhan
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
why use a poly if your a beginner without arm problems or string breaking problems? get a good multi... but dont worry zhan, you can learn a lot in the different forums

why use poly?
cuz beginnners usually have a hard time generating spin
and alu rough can generate plenty of spin alone...
like when i was nooblar... and i slapped on alu rough...
it was magical
i had syn gut prior to alu... and im not going back

Bryant
08-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Two basic types of rackets, head heavy and head light. Of course, there are even balanced rackets too. Are you a 'baseliner' or a 'serve and volley player' or an 'all courter'. That will determine the balance that you want.

I'm more of a baseliner, but I like to attack the net too when I can get the ball behind them or to change the pace of the game abit...So...head light or heavy?

Also, could someone list the types of grips and what there used for? Which to use for serves?

Thanks,
Bryant

ChipNCharge
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
why use poly?
cuz beginnners usually have a hard time generating spin
and alu rough can generate plenty of spin alone...
like when i was nooblar... and i slapped on alu rough...
it was magical
i had syn gut prior to alu... and im not going back

I just think it's a bad idea to tell a young, new player to put poly strings in a light, stiff frame. That's a recipe for arm problems.

Also, a new player's lack of spin is due to their developing strokes, not the composition of their strings.

zhan
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I just think it's a bad idea to tell a young, new player to put poly strings in a light, stiff frame. That's a recipe for arm problems.

Also, a new player's lack of spin is due to their developing strokes, not the composition of their strings.

yeah i am a new player too...
but its just when i did something wrong... i got totally b!tched out
either by my mom who is asian mom and doesnt accept noob-ness or by my trainer
so ... u know... once ur in that kind of environment ... u develope quicker just to avoid getting ur ***** chewed out
;)

max
08-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Don't worry much about the racquet; just enjoy hitting the ball and play as much as you can, against as many people as you can!

bluegrasser
08-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Bryant:

email me at keithdjango@yahoo.com

DJ Edwards
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Demo some racquets at Mike Lynn's, then buy them on TW a little cheaper. Then buy your balls (Gamma) there and get your racquests restrung there, so you're not screwing him, but continue making shoe and racquet purchases here. Also check out the Baseline Tennis Center at the U of M. Indoor courts cheap, 'nuff said.
PS Park Center HS, weird Astro Truf with sand type courts. Free, very similar to clay. Enjoy.