PDA

View Full Version : One handed backhand - slice and top spin

Paunchy Gandalf
03-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi,

A post on slicers in the Rants and Raves section prompted this question.

I have a one handed BH. My stock shots are the cross court slice with a continental grip and top spin with a Justine Henin type grip (don't know what it's called...Western BH grip?). The funny thing is when my slice works, my top spin deserts me and vice versa. Obviously my grip shifts are not happening properly.

Can someone suggest a drill that I could use to perfect the grip shifts? Or do you think that something else could be the problem.

Thanks in advance,

PG

polakosaur
03-05-2004, 10:47 AM
you should work more on the strokes individually, you shouldn't force it the change between one stroke and another should be natural

vin
03-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Why not practice exactly what you are trying to do and work on alternating from slice to topspin?

I agree that you should work on one shot at a time, but I don't think it's a shot that you're working on. You're working on the adjustment from one shot to another. I don't think making your topspin and slice shots individually better will help you much with adjusting between the two.

I'm not a teaching pro, but that's how I would approach it. In fact, I plan on mixing slice more into my game and will probably do this drill myself.

Vin

Bungalo Bill
03-05-2004, 02:12 PM
For grip changes you should be able to be in your preferred grip without thinking about it. It just happens.

The only way to do this is to isolate (at first) your grip changes. You can do it while your in front of a mirror.

You should do your step towards the ball and complete your grip change. Try and see if you can step out faster then your grip change. You cant.

This proves that you have plenty of time to switch your grips on volleys and serve returns. The problem is people hold the grip to tight as they try and change. This also can be your problem with the information you gave us above.

Paunchy Gandalf
03-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks, guys! I guess at least some part of my future is in front of a mirror.