PDA

View Full Version : Am I suffering from tennis elbow?

sarpmas
07-20-2004, 01:59 AM
Recently, whenever I straightened my arm while holding my racket pointing forward and hold on to this position for a while, I'm experiencing much pain on my elbow. This has never happened to me before. I can still ignore the pain and carry on playing but I'm afraid it may become worst.

I've been playing tennis for more than a decade and been using PSC 6.1. What could have caused this pain? Is it tennis elbow? Any kind advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Phil
07-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Hard to say without more details, but if you're experiencing pain in your elbow that wasn't there before-then you probably have some form of tennis elbow. I used the same racquet you're using and it damn near destroyed my arm-as soon as I switched to a more flexible racquet, the pain-most of it-was gone. Get rid of the 6.1 and then see how it feels with a more arm-friendly stick.

sarpmas
07-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the response, Phil. I hope I could provide more details, but I'm not sure what is causing the pain myself. I'm right-handed, I tried the same test with my left arm, and there's no pain. That's why I became concern. The strange thing is, I do not actually feel the pain while I'm playing. It's more like an after-effect, like you've sprained your ankle in a basketball game, you played through it and got your ankle swollen after the game. The difference is, the swell will subside after some time, while the pain I felt still persist.

Perhaps you're right, maybe it's my PSC. Believe me, I did try other rackets, HPS 6.1, Head Prestige, Prince TT Graphite, Prince Thunderbolt, but I always go back to my beloved PSC. May I know what racket are you using now?

Phil
07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Sarpmas - I experienced the same kind of pain-occurring after playing. Try icing the elbow down after you play, and take ibuprofen BEFORE you play, and then 4 hours after that first dosage. That works for me. Sadly, you may have to consider giving up the 6.1. Besides myself, I know a lot of people who have bad arms due to using Wilson. Also, you may want to take a close look at your technique-if you're not turning your shoulders enough, causing you to "arm" the ball, that could cause the pain.

I have never hit the ball harder or heavier then when I used the 6.1-not before or since. I STILL remember some of the shots I hit with that club. But I would rather play a SMARTER game with slightly less power AND still be able to open a jar when I hit 45 (and continue to play), then have a few good tennis years and then walk around the rest of my life with a limp noodle for a right arm. It's a choice you may have to make, but given the consequences, it shouldn't be a difficult one.

Now I use the Head Prestige Classic strung w/VS Power Gut at 56 lbs. (the PC is weighted at 400 gms-so weight was never a problem for me). Pro Kennex, Slazenger Pro Braided and Volkl are also known for being arm-friendly.

sarpmas
07-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Once again, thanks for the advise, Phil. I think it really strikes me when you mentioned that I may have some problem with my technique. I do realised that lately, I have been late in hitting some shots in my matches, I think I did 'arm' the ball. I'm in my mid 30s already, have to admit that I'm not as quick as I used to be. I'm going try your treatment and also giving my Head Prestige a 2nd chance!