PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom teeth

TheBigToasty
07-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Anyone have their wisdom teeth taken out before (4 in my example), and how long did you wait until you started playing tennis again?

James Brown
07-20-2004, 10:21 AM
im getting my 4 out tomorrow..ill let you know how long it takes...lol. youre gonna be bleeding like a mofo, so it might be a good idea to take up to a week off.

PusherMan
07-20-2004, 11:47 AM
I had it done. Like James said, there's gonna be a lot of bleeding for awhile. You'll look like a chipmunk too(swelling). This alone will have you wanting to avoid people...especially the ladies. I don't think I played for at least 3 weeks. I may have been able to get out a bit sooner, but the soreness and stitches would have been too bothersome...I think.

Phil
07-20-2004, 06:54 PM
It depends. If the teeth are impacted, there will be some post-operative pain, swelling and bleeding, as PusherMan and JB mentioned. But I had mine out before they reached that stage-the dentist just carved 'em out with a scalpel (while I was under a local anesthetic, of course), and gave me some pain killers-which I didn't even need. I jogged 5 miles that evening without any pain or discomfort.

jayserinos99
07-20-2004, 07:28 PM
mine were impacted, but afterward my mouth didn't hurt at all. i could have played tennis, but opted not too since i couldn't eat anything solid for a few days.

now the day i got my teeth taken out i played a couple of sets; that was horrible b/c i didn't get to eat or drink at all!

TheBigToasty
07-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Okay, I just don't want to be running around and have my stitched-up gums burst open :P

jun
07-22-2004, 09:07 PM
i never understand why you americans (no offense) takes 4 wisdom teeth at once. Just take one or two at a time with domestic anasthesia instead of being put sleep.

Phil
07-22-2004, 09:23 PM
never understand why you americans (no offense) takes 4 wisdom teeth at once. Just take one or two at a time with domestic anasthesia instead of being put sleep.

'cause it's all or nothing with us-we're not messing around, here.

TheBigToasty
07-23-2004, 06:17 PM
What he said :o I'm really getting restless now. It's been five days since I've touched a racquet/got teeth out. For anyone wondering what happens at this point of 'recovery', my cheeks are a lot less swollen, still feel like i'm holding cotton balls though, part of my lip is numb, no pain when I swallow now, I can open my mouth wider, but the stitches are kind of annoying, like an itch you can't scratch. This is just personally though :). MIght try hitting tomorrow. I really DOUBT the holes will burst open through a little physical activity.. right?

goober
07-25-2004, 11:19 AM
I had my wisdom teeth pulled as a teenager. The surgery was in the morning and I went bowling that night. I really wasn't playing that much tennis at the time, but I did go running 2 days later and basektball on the 3rd day.

James Brown
07-25-2004, 02:10 PM
after meeting with the oral surgeon, he says i cant do JACK for 2 days and then its dependant on the person...sounds like fun...blkah :<

kevhen
07-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I had one taken out just before a mixed doubles tournament match last year and we still won. I was at my dentist yesterday though and she said to wait 24-48 hours since you can get a dry socket if the blood clot breaks loose and then you will be in alot of pain I think. I still need my top two wisdom teeth removed sometime and will try to schedule them when there are no tournaments, but I played fine last year since it didn't bleed too much like when my first one was removed.