PDA

View Full Version : A question for Americans

juani
08-03-2006, 11:00 AM
A question for Americans. Why you call football to a sport you play almost all the time with your hands and soccer the sport that is played with your feet?????
Football was invented in England hundreds of years ago and has this name since. Why do you change it name????
All arround the world football is known as football, not soccer.
I know you can tell me that yours is American football and it's ok but you still change the name of the other one for soccer.
No offence. I'm just courious why this happened.

FalconX
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM
cuz they wanna mess with you.

tarheels2323
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't know; we're stupid. I've had the same complaint for years. :mrgreen:

mabuhay
08-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't know; we're stupid. I've had the same complaint for years. :mrgreen:
damn right! lol! america should change football to handball. doesn't sound right though.

alienhamster
08-03-2006, 12:17 PM
The ball is kicked. With your foot. Sometimes.

juani
08-03-2006, 12:21 PM

I know. For that reason i wrote "you play almost all the time with your hands"

remyb2
08-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Too much ego and pride to change name... it would be like asking the brits to change "Cricket" to "Most boring sport on Earth".

I also think American football should start using the metric system... "FIRST AND 9.144 METERS!"

;-)

Lets see if those comments generate some sparks ;-)

DragonNeedSpank
08-03-2006, 12:53 PM
BECUZ IN AMERICAN FOOTBALL U NEED TO USE UR FOOT TO RUN WITH THE BALL!!!!!! =D!!!! lol is that a correct answer?

LuckyR
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Dude, I think you are confusing futbol with football. Two seperate things. They share some letters but are two different words...

dmastous
08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I've heard a story that American football grew from soccer. They say that some guy got tired of kicking the ball around and picked up and started running. Everyone tried catch him and they had so much fun they played that way from then on. Or maybe that's rugby and football grew out of rugby? I don't know.
Anyway it's not football, it's just spelled that way. It's really fuball here. :mrgreen:

DragonNeedSpank
08-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I've heard a story that American football grew from soccer. They say that some guy got tired of kicking the ball around and picked up and started running. Everyone tried catch him and they had so much fun they played that way from then on. Or maybe that's rugby and football grew out of rugby? I don't know.
Anyway it's not football, it's just spelled that way. It's really fuball here. :mrgreen:

lol

Viper
08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I think football should be called

"whationlygota$100milliondollarcontractinsteadofa$1 000milliondollaroneball"

Moose Malloy
08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football#North_American_football

Dilettante
08-03-2006, 04:11 PM

Lol.

juani
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
great link moose

dmastous
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football#North_American_football
"These games were usually played by peasants[/URL],...."
Not any more.

Freedom
08-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Who cares - American football is dumb. I would call "soccer" football, but people get confused.

lorenza
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Who cares - American football is dumb. I would call "soccer" football, but people get confused.

i agree. im from mexico and always call "soccer" football and people always get confused. i always call american football "american football" and people here in the states dont get it.

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
damn right! lol! america should change football to handball. doesn't sound right though.

God i hope this never happens...sorry to all you soccer fans out there, but I couldn't live with it if Football had a different name. I have some crazy friends that play frisbee golf, so they refer to REAL golf as ball golf. Crap like this drives me crazy...sorry...maybe this belongs in rants and raves.

Phil
08-03-2006, 06:06 PM
A question for Americans. Why you call football to a sport you play almost all the time with your hands and soccer the sport that is played with your feet?????
Football was invented in England hundreds of years ago and has this name since. Why do you change it name????
I know you can tell me that yours is American football and it's ok but you still change the name of the other one for soccer.

Here's the deal. We call our games anything we want; THAT'S our reason. And if you don't like it you can either STFU and live with it or, if you persist, we'll probably go and bomb your entire country or something...

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Here's the deal. We call our games anything we want; THAT'S our reason. And if you don't like it you can either STFU and live with it or, if you persist, we'll probably go and bomb your entire country or something...

HAHAHA you said exactly what I was afraid to say! Way to go for having bigger balls than me. ;)

Tennis_Monk
08-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Too much ego and pride to change name... it would be like asking the brits to change "Cricket" to "Most boring sport on Earth".

I also think American football should start using the metric system... "FIRST AND 9.144 METERS!"

;-)

Lets see if those comments generate some sparks ;-)
Most Boring Sport on Earth -- wouldnt that be Baseball?

Phillip=Tennis guy
08-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Baseball is not boring!

Hockey is boring!

DragonNeedSpank
08-03-2006, 06:57 PM

WOW a man trying to learn some american culture.... What is wrong with a man trying being curous about the american culture??? HOW DO U LIKE IT IF U ASK A DAMN QUESTION AND WE EXPLODE ON U CUZ WE THINK IT IS STUIPD?? IF U DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT AT ALL... CANT BLAME HIM FOR TRYING TO LEARN SOME NEW STUFF...

Freedom
08-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Baseball is not boring!

Hockey is boring!

I think the words "Baseball" and "Hockey" got switched in this post.

juani
08-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Phil: i have no doubt that you solve problems bombing people.
I'm sorry for the other guys but he provoke me.
I didn't want to offend americans with this thread I just was courious.
It's a pity that some guys react like this for a silly question about sports.

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM

When quite clearly it isn't to alot of people, you try telling that to half of Asia, or Australians or New Zealanders or Brits or the entire Caribbean or South Africans.

Maybe if America were good at it you would have a different view on it?

I find American Football boring, whenever I watch it they all talk about what they are going to do then give a ball to someone to run into a fat man, then they have a break for a couple of minutes and do it all over again :confused:

Phil
08-03-2006, 07:16 PM
WOW a man trying to learn some american culture.... What is wrong with a man trying being curous about the american culture??? HOW DO U LIKE IT IF U ASK A DAMN QUESTION AND WE EXPLODE ON U CUZ WE THINK IT IS STUIPD?? IF U DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT AT ALL... CANT BLAME HIM FOR TRYING TO LEARN SOME NEW STUFF...

Shut up already with your capital letters. You definitely DO need spanked. Or else, I'll bomb you.

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I find American Football boring, whenever I watch it they all talk about what they are going to do then give a ball to someone to run into a fat man, then they have a break for a couple of minutes and do it all over again :confused:

Please, please don't talk about a sport you know nothing about. NFL playbooks are roughly the thickness of War and Peace, and each week there is a different playbook set up to capitalize on the weaknesses of different teams. All the members of the team have to memorize the plays. These "fat" men are in better physical condition (excluding the linemen) than we could ever dream to be, and I HATE it when people sterotype football into a non-athletic sport that is easy. You are more than welcome to have an opinion, just make it an educated one, please.

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, my post above (#21) was meant in humor, not in honesty, and I want to make that clear, because I usually do my damnedest not to be a hypocrite. I don't bomb people, but I thought the post was funny, as this seems to be the current mindset of our sad govt. I think soccer is fine, cricket is cool (how could it not be with those clothes), and hockey isn't my cup of tea but I'm glad it's back...just please dont s**t on American sports just because you don't comprehend them fully.

Andres
08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
My man Phil. If you bomb HIS country, you're bombing mine... and I'm sure you won't bomb MY country. It's not safe for you... ;)
Don't make me go alll the way to Tokyo and kick your ***, okie? Deal?
Great. Now, get me a beer. :D

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Please, please don't talk about a sport you know nothing about. NFL playbooks are roughly the thickness of War and Peace, and each week there is a different playbook set up to capitalize on the weaknesses of different teams. All the members of the team have to memorize the plays. These "fat" men are in better physical condition (excluding the linemen) than we could ever dream to be, and I HATE it when people sterotype football into a non-athletic sport that is easy. You are more than welcome to have an opinion, just make it an educated one, please.

hahaha just like the poster who wants to rename Cricket "Most boring sport on Earth"? You think he knows the ins and outs of cricket? You think he knows the LBW law and knows the prestige that goes with the game? You think he has ever watched a 5 day test in his life?

As for you going on about these thick playbooks, yes I do know about them and sure the fat guys are in good condition. I am struggling to see how that makes the sport exciting? It's still boring, having people memorise a book and fat people in good condition doesn't mean that a sport is exciting :confused:

I've seen quite a bit of NFL and it's just a bit stop start for me, I understand the rules and can watch it and understand what is going on. I just find that it doesn't flow enough, it's a bit stop-start for me as I like a game that flows or meanders.

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
:) hahaha just like the poster who wants to rename Cricket "Most boring sport on Earth"? You think he knows the ins and outs of cricket? You think he knows the LBW law and knows the prestige that goes with the game? You think he has ever watched a 5 day test in his life? Jog on pal.

As for you going on about these thick playbooks, yes I do know about them and sure the fat guys are in good condition. I am struggling to see how that makes the sport exciting? It's still boring, having people memorise a book and fat people in good condition doesn't mean that a sport is exciting :confused:

I agree with the above, my only point was that when one understands the intricacies of a sport, it is inherently more interesting to them. I, for one, am a huge football fan, but i understand the rules and interworkings of the game. Cricket I do not, but it's still a fine sport. And no, I do knot think that he has ever watched a 5 day test... whatever the hell that means :)

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
What up Fena.Phil. Love talking footy. Just got a new Henry jersey today. Ready for the season. I used to get really POed w/ Phil when he talks about soccer, but now he just makes me laugh. It's OK to not like a sport, but I think you should respect the fact that a lot of people do like it. I think the bomb comment was a bit much, that's why most of the world hates us with a passion.
I like both sports, but will take soccer anyday. Just my preference. Most of the Mexican guys that work at my club say they call American Football soccer. That made me laugh a bit.
I think the fact that we have cultural differences with a lot of the world is cool and we should try to learn about those differences more. Especially since we caucasions(can't spell) living in Texas are now the minority.

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 07:50 PM
:)

I agree with the above, my only point was that when one understands the intricacies of a sport, it is inherently more interesting to them. I, for one, am a huge football fan, but i understand the rules and interworkings of the game. Cricket I do not, but it's still a fine sport. And no, I do knot think that he has ever watched a 5 day test... whatever the hell that means :)

lol yes you do make a good point, I understand the rules of Hockey and American Football but not Baseball. I like some aspects of American Football but the way the game flows doesn't quite suit me.

As for a 5 day test? Well it's the format where the two teams play for 5 days from 11am until 6pm, it can be tedious at times but the way the players work to set themselves up to go for the kill is fascinating.

People seek different things out of the sports that they follow, Cricket does it for me and Football does for you so fair enough :)

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
What up Fena.Phil. Love talking footy. Just got a new Henry jersey today. Ready for the season.

Ahh nice one! He's going to be a handful as ever this season. Hopefully Ashley Cole will be at Chelsea to give us a few tips on how to stop him ;)

The seasons only a few weeks away now so the talk is building as to how Chelsea are going to be stopped and the like. Going to be interesting to see how the new arrivals are going to settle in, Shevchenko especially will be under some pressure.

Phil
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, my post above (#21) was meant in humor, not in honesty, and I want to make that clear, because I usually do my damnedest not to be a hypocrite. I don't bomb people, but I thought the post was funny, as this seems to be the current mindset of our sad govt.

Yeah, you "Got" it (my post)...getting it is something that less and less of our new, teenaged posters are capable of doing these days...

And Andres, I personally would never bomb your 'hood, but you know...I have no control over the actions of my government, and they've been known to drop a few ("accidentally")...

Now, if you don't mind...get off yer butt and fetch me a cold one!:)

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
lol yes you do make a good point, I understand the rules of Hockey and American Football but not Baseball. I like some aspects of American Football but the way the game flows doesn't quite suit me.

As for a 5 day test? Well it's the format where the two teams play for 5 days from 11am until 6pm, it can be tedious at times but the way the players work to set themselves up to go for the kill is fascinating.

People seek different things out of the sports that they follow, Cricket does it for me and Football does for you so fair enough :)

Wow. That 5 day test thing is crazy. I might just have to watch a cricket match one of these days. Fena, I like you. You are reasonable and like to have actual conversation. I don't always see that on these boards...By the way, I am a baseball fan, and I even I think its boring sometimes, so you're not alone there :)

dmastous
08-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow. That 5 day test thing is crazy. I might just have to watch a cricket match one of these days. Fena, I like you. You are reasonable and like to have actual conversation. I don't always see that on these boards...By the way, I am a baseball fan, and I even I think its boring sometimes, so you're not alone there :)
I recorded a cricket match between Pakistan and (I think) England while I lived in the Philippines. It's interesting. But I still don't understand it much.

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Yes likewise, your passionate and argued your point really well. You should try and get your hands on some footage from the Ashes battle last year with England and Australia that is considered one of the best series of all time. People who had never liked cricket before started watching and playing so you might like some of what you see. Just don't watch any matches in India or Pakistan, the pitches are so slow that it can become pretty boring. Seeing lots of boundaries and people getting peppered with a leather cricket ball coming at 150kph is fantastic!

I'm pretty interested by baseball, I don't understand the rules but it looks like my kind of game. The skills seem similar to cricket so i'm sure if I knew the rules I would be able to get alot out of it.

Thanks again for the good natured debate :)

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Any time buddy, any time...BTW...150 mph??

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 08:22 PM
ohhhh...misread that- 150kmh....still fast though...damn the metric system...

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes likewise, your passionate and argued your point really well. You should try and get your hands on some footage from the Ashes battle last year with England and Australia that is considered one of the best series of all time. People who had never liked cricket before started watching and playing so you might like some of what you see. Just don't watch any matches in India or Pakistan, the pitches are so slow that it can become pretty boring. Seeing lots of boundaries and people getting peppered with a leather cricket ball coming at 150kph is fantastic!

I'm pretty interested by baseball, I don't understand the rules but it looks like my kind of game. The skills seem similar to cricket so i'm sure if I knew the rules I would be able to get alot out of it.

Thanks again for the good natured debate :)
You helped me with a little soccer history, let me give a little for baseball. I am from one hour South of Cincinnati,OH and the Cincinnati Reds were the first all professional baseball team in the late 1800s.According to the tour guide, The guys that started the game were cricketers that wanted a little different game. The game shares some very basic similarities. Do wikipedia for Baseball and it will explain it pretty well. There are some weird rules for some obscure and rare situations but the game is pretty straightforward.

BigServer1
08-03-2006, 08:44 PM
There are some weird rules for some obscure and rare situations but the game is pretty straightforward.

Yeah, like the infeild fly rule. Or the foul bunt on strike two rule...No wonder some people hate baseball;)

TennisProPaul
08-03-2006, 08:54 PM
american football should be called gridiron all over the world

Phil
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
You helped me with a little soccer history, let me give a little for baseball. I am from one hour South of Cincinnati,OH and the Cincinnati Reds were the first all professional baseball team in the late 1800s.According to the tour guide, The guys that started the game were cricketers that wanted a little different game. The game shares some very basic similarities. Do wikipedia for Baseball and it will explain it pretty well. There are some weird rules for some obscure and rare situations but the game is pretty straightforward.

I thought baseball was based on the game of rounders, which is somwhat different from cricket.

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I thought baseball was based on the game of rounders, which is somwhat different from cricket.
You are right, but the guys that started the team in Cincy were cricketers. Just trying to give our English friend a point of reference. Are you God? You the man, Phil.

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
P.S.-Your Henman quote kills me every time I read it.

Feņa14
08-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys, they usually show some footage early in the morning over here so I shall try and catch a showing of it sometime.

If it was invented by, or the team was started by cricketers then hey, it can't be bad! ;)

juani
08-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Phil...........now that we break the ice....................... i can't give you a cold one.............but i can throw you a Molotov. :D

Phil
08-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Phil...........now that we break the ice....................... i can't give you a cold one.............but i can throw you a Molotov. :D

Molotov cocktail? That's a ladies drink. Just suck it up...and get...me...a...BEER!

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Molotov cocktail? That's a ladies drink. Just suck it up...and get...me...a...BEER!
A god I tell you!

Phil
08-03-2006, 09:34 PM
You are right, but the guys that started the team in Cincy were cricketers. Just trying to give our English friend a point of reference. Are you God? You the man, Phil.

Why...thank you very much. No, I'm not THE God, but some have credited me with being A god. Good genes, I guess...

juani
08-03-2006, 09:39 PM

yeah............ it's like a ladies drink but with a fuse on it......i hope this isn't gonna hurt your stomach.

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
yeah............ it's like a ladies drink but with a fuse on it......i hope this isn't gonna hurt your stomach.
Surely not a return to bomb humor?
Drink something from KY, like bourbon or moonshine. That's some fire for ya.

juani
08-03-2006, 09:48 PM
i love bourbon. i like it more than scotch. I used to drink it every time i was going out in New Zealand.

maynardsson55
08-03-2006, 09:51 PM
i love bourbon. i like it more than scotch. I used to drink it every time i was going out in New Zealand.
Try Makers Mark. Best in the business. Make it in my home state of Kentucky in a very small town called loretto. If you can't get it on the net get one of us to send you some. Read up on the rules of Bourbon. There are several rules they have to follow for bourbon not to qualify as just a blended whisky. Its kind of interesting.

Phil
08-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Okay...not funny. Go back to Escuela de las Jokes and learn to tell one...

TrueAce
08-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Why in some parts of Europe etc do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road lol......

nickybol
08-04-2006, 03:05 AM
That`s only with those freaky English. They like to do it a bit different. Different side of the road, different currency, etc.

Kevin T
08-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Phil isn't a god. More like a Titan or Hercules. The gods do admire him though.

DragonNeedSpank
08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Shut up already with your capital letters. You definitely DO need spanked. Or else, I'll bomb you.

is that suppose to be a threat and be scare?? if u think so better think again...

Mr.Federer
08-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Baseball is not boring!

Hockey is boring!

Hockey...is...boring?...what's so boring about guys flying on ice skates, shooting, hitting each other, non-stop action the whole match? Baseball, most of the guys don't even sweat during a match besides the pitcher&catcher. The #1 activity of choice for the players seems like chewing 5-6 packs of gum and spitting. Sorry but besides 40 secs of action every time the guy hits the ball or when a runner tries to steal base...there ain't much action.

drakulie
08-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Because America can do whatever it damn well pleases.

Lunk
08-04-2006, 09:06 AM

I have another world sports-related question: Why, when America invented the sport of basketball, do we have the "International Rules" with the trapezoidal lane and the shorter three point line? Maybe we should change the rules of soccer (football, futball, or whatever else you want to call it) to better suit our playing style and then the rest of the world can conform to those standards.

BTW, many of those "fat" professional American football players to which some have referred could outrun many of us in this forum in a 40 yard dash. So they're not only big and strong, but they are fast as well. Personally, I would take my chances against many professional soccer players before I would with practically any NFL lineman.

drakulie
08-04-2006, 09:23 AM
I have another world sports-related question: Why, when America invented the sport of basketball, do we have the "International Rules" with the trapezoidal lane and the shorter three point line? Maybe we should change the rules of soccer (football, futball, or whatever else you want to call it) to better suit our playing style and then the rest of the world can conform to those standards.

BTW, many of those "fat" professional American football players to which some have referred could outrun many of us in this forum in a 40 yard dash. So they're not only big and strong, but they are fast as well. Personally, I would take my chances against many professional soccer players before I would with practically any NFL lineman.

Great rebuttle! I love it!

wimble10
08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Why, when America invented the sport of basketball, do we have the "International Rules" with the trapezoidal lane and the shorter three point line? Maybe we should change the rules of soccer (football, futball, or whatever else you want to call it) to better suit our playing style and then the rest of the world can conform to those standards.

I always wondered about the trapezoidal "key" in international basketball. I never played competitively so I'm not sure if this would make it more challenging to get a rebound after the foul shot. I didn't know the 3-pt line was farther in though. That's probably a lot more important than the "key" difference. That seems like a good change for international bball from the NBA 3-pt line standard. I guess it's the same as college basketball 3-pt line in the US.
I don't watch much soccer besides the world cup. I think the US is doing ok with soccer. The field dimensions are American football field size and so not as wide as international soccer field. Also the countdown timer as opposed to counting up was used in this years WC, and it seemed to make the length of match a lot more exact. I don't know if the MLS (American soccer league) still uses the hockey-style shoot-out to finish league games ending in a tie, but what's wrong with the normal soccer-style shoot-out, if there actually has to be a winner to a game. But I guess there always has to be a winner and a loser at the end of the match, right? :rolleyes:

rommil
08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
My man Phil. If you bomb HIS country, you're bombing mine... and I'm sure you won't bomb MY country. It's not safe for you... ;)
Don't make me go alll the way to Tokyo and kick your ***, okie? Deal?
Great. Now, get me a beer. :D
Sounds like somebody just got owned....

tennis_nerd22
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
BECUZ IN AMERICAN FOOTBALL U NEED TO USE UR FOOT TO RUN WITH THE BALL!!!!!! =D!!!! lol is that a correct answer?

but in that case, any sport should be called football... muahahaha :D

tennis_nerd22
08-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Phil: i have no doubt that you solve problems bombing people.
I'm sorry for the other guys but he provoke me.
I didn't want to offend americans with this thread I just was courious.
It's a pity that some guys react like this for a silly question about sports.

dont worry, americans act like that for everything

haha sorry i couldnt resist that one.. :D

*runs and hides*

Andres
08-04-2006, 10:11 AM
And Andres, I personally would never bomb your 'hood, but you know...I have no control over the actions of my government, and they've been known to drop a few ("accidentally")...

Now, if you don't mind...get off yer butt and fetch me a cold one!:)
STHU! I asked for one first! :mrgreen:
SO after you get me the beer, I'll get you the beer, and we'll aall be happy about it...

Any news about what we talked about earlier, Mr. Bates? :D

BigServer1
08-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I always wondered about the trapezoidal "key" in international basketball. I never played competitively so I'm not sure if this would make it more challenging to get a rebound after the foul shot. I didn't know the 3-pt line was farther in though. That's probably a lot more important than the "key" difference. That seems like a good change for international bball from the NBA 3-pt line standard. I guess it's the same as college basketball 3-pt line in the US.
I don't watch much soccer besides the world cup. I think the US is doing ok with soccer. The field dimensions are American football field size and so not as wide as international soccer field. Also the countdown timer as opposed to counting up was used in this years WC, and it seemed to make the length of match a lot more exact. I don't know if the MLS (American soccer league) still uses the hockey-style shoot-out to finish league games ending in a tie, but what's wrong with the normal soccer-style shoot-out, if there actually has to be a winner to a game. But I guess there always has to be a winner and a loser at the end of the match, right? :rolleyes:

The trapeziodal key in international basketball doen indeed make it harder for the big men to create positioning and get in for rebounds on free throws. That style of key, not being what we're used to, really neutralizes the size of out big men and makes it a more even playing field. As for the 3pt line, one would think that the closer distance would be to America's advantage, but alas, in 2004 it was not. But, if you are a basketball fan then it pretty much killed you (like it did me) to watch basketball during the '04 olympic games.

BigServer1
08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Not that I am bitter about those games or anything.

::slowly crying myself to sleep thinking about it::

Phillip=Tennis guy
08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Hockey=lamest sport ever!

tennis_nerd22
08-04-2006, 10:34 AM

nah hockey's awesome. always end to end action, fast paced :D baseball on the other hand...

mabuhay
08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
no, tennis is the most boring/lamest/gay sports ever!

lol! j/k :)

wimble10
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
The trapeziodal key in international basketball doen indeed make it harder for the big men to create positioning and get in for rebounds on free throws. That style of key, not being what we're used to, really neutralizes the size of out big men and makes it a more even playing field. As for the 3pt line, one would think that the closer distance would be to America's advantage, but alas, in 2004 it was not. But, if you are a basketball fan then it pretty much killed you (like it did me) to watch basketball during the '04 olympic games.

I agree that the trapezoidal key is awkward for the American players; in the NBA, rebounding after a free throw is not a very important part of the game. However, I think that the college 3-pt line would actually favor international players since the NBA players aren't used to that either. The NBA has the best players in the world so it would seem that the farther out the line is moved, the more it would favor the better shooters (NBA players).

Lunk
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
As for the 3pt line, one would think that the closer distance would be to America's advantage, but alas, in 2004 it was not.

It is a disadvantage because our players (now professionals) are used to shooting the 3 from farther away. If that's the shot that you practice and are comfortable with, then closer shots are not necessarily easier shots.

By all accounts thus far, America's current team is looking better than the 2004 team. It seems that Coach K has helped to quell the attitudes and ego trips of the players and is getting them to focus on the game and play as a team. (I hope Coach K has great success and that the success launches him into the NBA ranks. Then, maybe Duke will stop getting slews of blue chip r e c r u i t s (why is this word filtered?) all of the time and, ultimately, maybe Dickie V will stop CONSTANTLY blowing sunshine up Duke's and Coach K's proverbial a55!)

wimble10
08-04-2006, 11:51 AM
By all accounts thus far, America's current team is looking better than the 2004 team. It seems that Coach K has helped to quell the attitudes and ego trips of the players and is getting them to focus on the game and play as a team. (I hope Coach K has great success and that the success launches him into the NBA ranks.

The USA olympic team is basically an NBA all-star team. Why not have an NBA coach? It's embarassing that USA loses in the Olympics, kind of like not winning Davis Cup when you have Sampras-Agassi.

Mr.Federer
08-04-2006, 02:26 PM

And this is coming from someone who lives in the city of the red wings...so dissapointing...so sad.

BigServer1
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
There were a lot of strong 18-20 ft jump shooters on that 2004 team. Even guys like Iverson and Marbury, who aren't great from 23'6" shoot a great 20ft jumper. That was the basis for my shorter=better argument. Other than that, yeah we like it from further away.

tennis_nerd22
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
And this is coming from someone who lives in the city of the red wings...so dissapointing...so sad.

hahaha so true... but then again, it would be even sadder coming from someone in Raleigh, North Carolina :D