PDA

View Full Version : Europeans--Absinth

Reza
07-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Hey all you europeans out there---what's the story on Absinth? Does it have an effect beyond that of alcohol? What are the best/most genuine brands? If you have any info, I would appreciate a response. Thanks, Reza

BSousa
07-20-2004, 09:46 AM
The stronger I drank was 70 or so %

IT is rather strong. If you drink it without anything, it really seems like you are drinking a metal brush or something. It is ok with some juice thou.

Seriously, unless you have no love for your body, stay away from that crap. Believe it or not, getting loaded on absinth was what made me stop drinking as I did (I still have a beer every other week or so) The hangover and the aftertaste it leaves in your mouth for weeks isn't really worth it. And everytime during those 2-3 week periods when you smeel anything remotly like alchool, I (and most people) just get vomits.

Drink banana smoothies instead :)
Bruno

James Brown
07-20-2004, 10:18 AM
uh...its absinthe...it has hallucinogenic effects..thats the freakin point of drinking it. Youre supposed to put sugar in it or add a bunch of ice water, otherwise youre an idiot... i dont believe the above poster has actually consumed it...

They say absinthe is why van gogh cut off his ear (and gave it to a prostitute) and it was banned in france for a while. Anyway, yeah, itll make you throw up everywhere, trip out,etc.

david aames
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
The name was relaunched a few years ago but the product is nothing like Absinthe.

BSousa
07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
James, I actually had absynth, and it is crap. Here (Portugal) we usually serve it with orange juice, really common as a finishing drink so to say, thou when I used to drink it alot, I drank it with nothing. After 3 glasses (20cl) of drinking it penalty style with a straw, i didn't get any hallucinogenic effects, but I did get to throw up ALOT. And yes, I was a stupid kid back then just wanted to get wasted by drinking that way.

ibemadskillzz
07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
what is that other drink that has shredded gold inside? Is that stuff any good?

Reza
07-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that's teh conclusion that I'm coming to---the new stuff is not the same stuff which was banned back in the early 1900's. Since I live in the states, I wasn't sure if there were any europeans (esp. czech's) who knew if some of the real stuff was actually being made. Skillzz--you are thinking of GoldSchlager---its fine. Really sweet, peppermint flavor, goes down fairly easily. Way to expensive though. ONly good for shots at a bar on either A. Your friends 21st bday or on B. Some blonde's stomach. Otherwise, stick with beer, or if you're gonna do shots, and you're a guy, its either Jack or tequila, end of story. Any more comments on real absinthe are still appreciated though

thejerk
07-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Isn't absinthe opium based. what is it? I am not european but would sure like to hear what it is made of and i didn't think it was made anymore

theprophe
07-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Im from the Czech Republic, and its pretty big here, but the hallucinogenic is caused by a substance called Thujone, and all the sbsinthe now only contains trace amounts, unlike many decades ago. So basically its just a really strong alcohol, which tastes like crap, but it is cool with the sugar cube and lighting on fire before you drink

Reza
07-28-2004, 06:39 AM
dekujeme, theprophe

Cypo
07-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Wormwood is the English word for what makes Absinthe hallucinogenic I believe.