PDA

View Full Version : curving a test

redtennis55
08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
What is the most a test you have taken has been curved by? Please specify in high school or college.

Mine is ten points in hs on a math test.

vkartikv
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I taught a jr. level civil engg. class in which a midterm yielded a top score of 77. I didn't curve it because they didn't deserve it. I am against curving.

XFactorer
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I taught a jr. level civil engg. class in which a midterm yielded a top score of 77. I didn't curve it because they didn't deserve it. I am against curving.

If the top score is 77, do you think there is a possibility your test may be unfair or it covered things maybe that was not taught well?

mucat
08-03-2006, 04:38 PM
20+ points on the university assembler programming class exam, the whole class failed except one person, ME. I got 70 something. The Professor pull the curve up 20 someting points so I got 100. I was so suprised, beat all the honour students in the class. Damn, I was such a smart goodlooking geek back then...mahaha

vkartikv
08-03-2006, 05:03 PM
If the top score is 77, do you think there is a possibility your test may be unfair or it covered things maybe that was not taught well?

Nope, it was the worst class I had in which one of the students told me that carbon di oxide was the most abundant gas in the atmosphere and one student spelt wastewater as waist water. I have never had any problems with my other classes. This set was BAD.

Porsche CGT
08-03-2006, 05:23 PM
The history class I am going to be in this coming year has huge curves because the tests are very hard. A 50 point curve is quite common in that class.

zhan
08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
ugh...
my freshman HS social studies... used to have a ridiculous penn state curve
cuz it was impossible...
but me (the nerd) got A with out curve so it was like uber A

DragonNeedSpank
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
my highskool never allowed the teachers to curved any tests or exams..... they r realli strict on us....

Roffey
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
my highskool never allowed the teachers to curved any tests or exams..... they r realli strict on us....

In every subject except ELA apparently.

Edit: By the way, there are three dots in an ellipsis, not four or five. Just for future reference.

DragonNeedSpank
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
i know..... its a habbit wen i do that....

HellBunni
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
College: top 3rd gets A, 2/3 get B, rest get C,D,F

my exam average was 61/100 and I was in the 92 percentile, lol

BigServer1
08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I had a 22 point curve in a college physics class. I hated that class and never went...but I got a 92, so I was happy enough...Curves are great.

jhhachamp
08-04-2006, 07:21 PM
In one class at Cornell, I got scores of 50 and 21 on the two preliminary exams and a 44 on the final and passed the class. The 50 was actually above the mean, and the 44 was very close. That was my mechanics of materials class, which I didn't like at all. One of my friends told me that the mean in one of his CS class was like 33, which was curved to a B. Thats like curving it to an 85, which is a 52 point curve, which dwarfs your 10 point high school math curve! I also heard once that someone got a 9 on some test and it was passing, but I cannot verify that.

But seriously, most of my engineering classes have means around 60 or 70 and curve that to a B. They are usually based solely on a curve, meaning your numberical value is meaningless without knowing the curve and standard deviation. I also got an A+ in one class, I think my grades on the two prelims were around 90, and I never found out the final.