PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever played for money?

GRANITECHIEF
08-04-2006, 01:09 PM
My friend just called me and said that there is some hot shot player vacationing from New York. The NY'er asked him if there was anyone around that plays for money and my friend immediately called me.

So i'll probably go throw down after work and see where the chips fall.

Sound like fun? What would you do?

Andres
08-04-2006, 01:13 PM
No, but I played for Beers, and dinners... which is, in some way, a sort of money :D

Friendly bets, let's say :D

Phillip=Tennis guy
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
No,

but I plan on going pro.

So not yet.

GRANITECHIEF
08-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Well I hit with the dude, but we didn't play for money. We didn't even play a match.

Apparently he had some sort of groin injury, one that was very severe from which he's been recovering for a couple months. I asked him how he got it and he said that is happened jello wrestling a 135-lb girl that was hawt and freakishly strong. The funny thing is that he was actually serious. He was trying to get up, had one leg down on a knee the other on a foot and she jumped on him and slipped on the jello into a groin tearing split. This was no skinny weakling either, dude wasn't wearing a shirt and he was pretty cut and powerfully built.

Anyway, in my estimation he was a ntrp 6.0 player and would've kicked my butt, so i'm glad i didn't throw down with the cash. We just did drills for about 2 hours, hitting cross court, so he wouldn't have to run. He had one of the hardest, flattest, most laser-like forehands i've ever faced. It seemed like it had almost no arc at all and was consistently less than 1 foot from the baseline and about 90 mph. Not only that, but he just wouldn't freakin miss. His forehand was defintely heavier and more consistent than mine.

I kept up with him much better on the backhand, which also was very very good - one handed driver, still very direct (flat) but more spin than the FH and a nasty slice that skidded like crazy. A couple of the slices i didn't even react to cuz i didn't think they were clearing the net.

Turns out he played on the tour till he was 25, now he's 35. He only got 2 atp points but that got him inside the top 1000. He still won lots of satellite/future matches and even a couple challenger matches.

It was an awesome workout for me and i definitely started getting used to the pace, but rarely actually gained control of the rally's and was usually just reacting trying to hang with em.

Can't wait to work out some more with that dude and i'll save the money matches for someone that isn't a 6.0.

atatu
08-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Ok, you gotta give up his name after description !

GRANITECHIEF
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Guys name was Kevin but didn't get the last name.

tennis_nerd22
08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
My friend just called me and said that there is some hot shot player vacationing from New York. The NY'er asked him if there was anyone around that plays for money and my friend immediately called me.

So i'll probably go throw down after work and see where the chips fall.

Sound like fun? What would you do?

lol i did go that $12 500 tourney on the weekend (finals was today actually)... Ontario Open... but i lost to the 8th seed 6-0 6-1. luckily i did have a bye in the first round :D lol this guy was in the quarters, and he probably made it to the semi's. im curious to find out though

Edit: oh did you mean just matches with friends for money? cuz i havent done that yet...

couch
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Actually, I don't mean to brag or anything but I did win $100.00 in our state closed tournament a couple of years ago by winning the 25 singles. My regular doubles partner and I were going to play the open doubles but he had a conflict so I decided to play singles instead. I was 34 at the time so I thought I might run up against some pretty good players since I was at the upper part of the age bracket. Well, there were a couple of decent players but I didn't realize that most of the young players that were any good played in the Open Singles so my victory wasn't all that impressive. In hindsite I would've played the Open Singles just for the better competition.

Afterwards though, I asked my wife what it was like sleeping with a professional tennis player since I earned my first paycheck playing tennis. She told me not to quit my day job.