PDA

View Full Version : Morton's Neuroma recommendations?

rwjenkins
07-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I was just diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma...basically a pinched nerve in foot b/n 3 & 4th toe ligaments causing pain/numbness when aggravated. It happened on court with new Barricade III's. Podiatrist gave anti-inflam pills and cortisone shots. I'm also awaiting custom orthotics thru him (for $390!!)

Any recommendations? The Barricades don't feel narrow but I've never had this before. They were not broken in yet but still not very stiff. It felt as if my foot folded over when it happened.

My previous shoes were Prince NFF and before that Wilson Pro Staffs. I do know that taking my shoes off provides quick relief but think that may not be indicative of a shoe problem.

Thanks in advance! I understand Lindsey Davenport struggled with this but don't know more than that.

Especially interested in experiences with over-the-counter and home remedies such as non-prescription orthotics.

Regards;
Rich
ps. My feet are medium / D width and between 10 and 10.5 size. Went with 10.5 on the barricade iii's.

Chrisalias
02-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I am suffering with Morton's Neuroma. I had 2 cortison shots--not much help

Currently getting alcohol injections--so far not much help

I'm wearing orthodics......my shoes are New Balance 802's

I need a lot of forefront cushion and wide/high toe box

Any ideas on treatment or shoes?

waves2ya
02-11-2007, 05:34 AM
I'm having less of a problem these days - but it's surely due to mid-winter play and less running...

Not interested in surgery, I'm considering moving to Nike Free 7.0's for crosstraining. May sound counterintuitive but many trainers these days are moving away from cushioning (and from ankle braces) and toward 'barefoot' training. Hypothesis is that too much foot structure/support is leading to rash of feet prob's and ankle injuries. Bound around in runner forums and you'll see a lot of folks leaving their orthotics too (not to say they aren't effective for some folks). NB: You have to titrate into new shoes (slow introduction, lifting, etc.)...

Could be uncomfortable for awhile but working through this/re-aligning foot balance is a better option than the scalpel.