PDA

View Full Version : Kalamazoo 18s

Rob_C
08-05-2006, 03:46 PM
What do you guys think about this year's Kalamazoo 18s. I think there are a couple of guys who have pretty good chances of winning. Guys like Smyczek, Levine, & Fugate have done well in Futures and even Challengers. I think a couple of them might even be ranked ahead of DY in the ATP rankings. Smyczek won a Futures title this year, and Levine made the qtrs at the Aptos challenger.

callitout
08-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Against this competition Donald Young is the odds on favorite.
Fugate has no chance. Levine is pretty good, and has some chance.

Bogie
08-05-2006, 06:55 PM
bijan hejazi is one of the talks to take it this year

Rob_C
08-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Against this competition Donald Young is the odds on favorite.
Fugate has no chance. Levine is pretty good, and has some chance.

Fugate beat DY at a futures this year.

callitout
08-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I'll eat my words if he wins but ive seen fugate play at the zoo last few years and he's just not that tough in later rounds.
He's a physical specimen though.

LN_Dad
08-05-2006, 08:21 PM
RobC, when does Kalamazoo start?

serveitup911
08-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I like Michael McClune's chances. He beat me last year and ended up getting 5th place.

For draws and news, go to www.ustaboys.com

LN_Dad
08-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I like Michael McClune's chances. He beat me last year and ended up getting 5th place.

For draws and news, go to www.ustaboys.com
Yeah, McClune's good. He's been playing Futures like Smyczek and Fugate.

tennisguy11
08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
In the 16's watch out for yegya- raman. he is only 15, but did well playing with a bad wrist injury in the tourney last year at 14. He is unseeded but I thi nk he will make some noise.. he is the grandson of former wimbledon semi finalist, who was 3 in the world at one point.

dtmmfam
08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
i'm surprised to see this many juniors from norcal in this. this is telling me that the players aren't really that great this year.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 05:12 AM
In the 16's watch out for yegya- raman. he is only 15, but did well playing with a bad wrist injury in the tourney last year at 14. He is unseeded but I thi nk he will make some noise.. he is the grandson of former wimbledon semi finalist, who was 3 in the world at one point.

And who may that be? Ravi's game is too soft, no chance.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 05:16 AM
The 16's field is very deep. Alot of the guys who had been playing 18's all year have drop back to the 16s at the Zoo. I don't see the #1 seed Boyagian winning it. I amd competing in the 16s if you have any Q's about players in the 16s and 18s event, I'll do my best to answer them. I agree with callitout, Fugate has no chance, the field is too deep.

callitout
08-06-2006, 06:41 AM
i'm surprised to see this many juniors from norcal in this. this is telling me that the players aren't really that great this year.

Actually it looks like quite a strong field. Young, Levine, Smyczek all have wins on the challenger circuit and chose to play anyway.
The only top American sitting it out is Querrey.

tennisprofl
08-06-2006, 07:06 AM
The 16's field is very deep. Alot of the guys who had been playing 18's all year have drop back to the 16s at the Zoo. I don't see the #1 seed Boyagian winning it. I amd competing in the 16s if you have any Q's about players in the 16s and 18s event, I'll do my best to answer them. I agree with callitout, Fugate has no chance, the field is too deep.
hey wontertoy...how does boyajian play? does he hit the ball hard and deep, or come to net, or mix it up? if you have seen him play before, please let me know how he plays. thanks

tennisguy11
08-06-2006, 07:48 AM
wondertoy, who do you think will win the 16s? I know Yegya-Raman does not have a chance to win, all I said was that I expect him to do well. His grandfather's name is Ramanathan Krishnan

LN_Dad
08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Actually it looks like quite a strong field. Young, Levine, Smyczek all have wins on the challenger circuit and chose to play anyway.
The only top American sitting it out is Querrey.
Querrey turned pro so doesn't that make him inegible?

verdasco67
08-06-2006, 09:16 AM
im going for smyczek on this one. He's playing really well at the moment.

Bones08
08-06-2006, 09:36 AM
In the Boys 16's I like Ryan Noble or Jarmere Jenkins

edberg505
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
In the Boys 16's I like Ryan Noble or Jarmere Jenkins

Jarmere Jenkins is supposed to be a pretty good player. His brother played #1 and 2 for Clemson.

LN_Dad
08-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Jarmere Jenkins is supposed to be a pretty good player. His brother played #1 and 2 for Clemson.
Is Jamere related to Scoville?

edberg505
08-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Is Jamere related to Scoville?

I don't think they are related. If they are I'm not aware of it.

gmg10s
08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
ryan noble has no chance in the 16s

Bones08
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes, Jarmere is good. Nice serve, Nice Groundies, and quite muscular for his age. He's not related to Scoville.

Bones08
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
ryan noble has no chance in the 16s
Lol, every player has a chance!!! Ryan is good, he's kind of small but he's a good player.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 01:10 PM
hey wontertoy...how does boyajian play? does he hit the ball hard and deep, or come to net, or mix it up? if you have seen him play before, please let me know how he plays. thanks

Boyajan is a solid player who does everything well. He's primarily a baseliner but he also comes in when he sees an opening. He's also a very good doubles player. He lacks power and has a weak serve but he moves it around. I don't see him winning because the power guys should be able to take it to him although the courst are slow this year. Both the 16s and 18s are the strongest field they have had maybe ever. Jamere Jenkins is not related to Scoville although they are from the same town, I believe. He's been playing 18s all year but drop down for the Zoo. He has a shot to go the distance along with Thacher.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Querrey turned pro so doesn't that make him inegible?

You are now allowed to play in USTA Nationals even if you are a pro, look at Donald Young.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Lol, every player has a chance!!! Ryan is good, he's kind of small but he's a good player.

Ryan Noble has absolutely no chance, he's not even playing in this tournament. He's out with a broken wrist until Nov.

LN_Dad
08-06-2006, 01:19 PM
You are now allowed to play in USTA Nationals even if you are a pro, look at Donald Young.
But I don't think Querrey would bother since he's doing well and making money on the ATP tour.

Rob_C
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Querrey isnt eligible for jrs anymore, he's 19. As for why the other top guys are playing it, probably for the US Open WC. Not to mention its the biggest US jr tournament.

Bones08
08-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Ryan Noble has absolutely no chance, he's not even playing in this tournament. He's out with a broken wrist until Nov.

Again, is this his 2cd wrist problem?

gmg10s
08-06-2006, 02:44 PM
i didnt know that either, the last time i saw him play was at the highschool state dubs final

jaggy
08-06-2006, 03:09 PM
What happened to KJ Stewart?

Bones08
08-06-2006, 03:25 PM
i didnt know that either, the last time i saw him play was at the highschool state dubs final

What did you take away from his game??? Him and Eric are a great doubles team, i saw them beat up on quite a few teams in the past 2 years.

gmg10s
08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
i thought that he made up hor his lack of size very well, he worked the points and eric really helped close them out...and that two handed forehand slice of his is awesome, i believe he won match point of that match with one right btwn helpingstine and webb

goober
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, Jarmere is good. Nice serve, Nice Groundies, and quite muscular for his age. He's not related to Scoville.

Too bad he hasn't learned to control his temper yet. He got for defaulted from playing in the backdraw for unsportmanslike conduct after hitting his opponent's mother after slamming a tennis ball into the stands.

Bones08
08-06-2006, 04:16 PM
i thought that he made up hor his lack of size very well, he worked the points and eric really helped close them out...and that two handed forehand slice of his is awesome, i believe he won match point of that match with one right btwn helpingstine and webb

It really is my friend, it gets very low and a lot of players have trouble with that, he recently beat Eric in a tournament, so Terry Sanford should still be challenging for a State Title this year. What school do you root for in North Carolina?

Bones08
08-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Too bad he hasn't learned to control his temper yet. He got for defaulted from playing in the backdraw for unsportmanslike conduct after hitting his opponent's mother after slamming a tennis ball into the stands.

Yes, I heard about that. He felt really bad about it afterwards, but that was still unacceptable.

Wondertoy
08-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Again, is this his 2cd wrist problem?

Same wrist problem that wasn't diagnosed correctly. Apparently he was playing the Easter Bowl in April with a broken wrist and didn't know it.

gmg10s
08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
It really is my friend, it gets very low and a lot of players have trouble with that, he recently beat Eric in a tournament, so Terry Sanford should still be challenging for a State Title this year. What school do you root for in North Carolina?

Green Hope....you?

Bones08
08-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Green Hope....you?

Wilmington New Hanover!

Bones08
08-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Same wrist problem that wasn't diagnosed correctly. Apparently he was playing the Easter Bowl in April with a broken wrist and didn't know it.

Bad News, thanks from informing me..I had no clue.I wonder will he change his strokes again after this?

Wondertoy
08-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Bad News, thanks from informing me..I had no clue.I wonder will he change his strokes again after this?

His strength is doubles which he is very good at. However, the two handed forehand will hurt his mobility and range in the 17s and 18s. He's already slipped in the older age groups.

TennisProPaul
08-07-2006, 10:49 AM
donaly young is the best ever

nextNalbandian
08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Rhyne Williams from TN is a low seed in the 18's and hes jus 15. He qualified for a couple futures lately. And I think Bo Seal has a good shot in the 16s, ive played him and hes really good.

babolat0821
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I was at the nats today and fugate was struggling in his thrid round match. Smyczek was playing solid and Young played well also.

TennisProPaul
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Jared A. Pinsky from my area updet #8 seed Jamie W. Hunt (8) 2-6; 6-4; 6-3

go pinsky

callitout
08-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Last year at the Zoo, Jim Courrier was there with a film crew interviewing top players and their parents. I vaguely remember hearing that he was producing a film about junior tennis. Anyone know if what ever came of it?

Wondertoy
08-08-2006, 05:13 AM
What do you guys think about this year's Kalamazoo 18s. I think there are a couple of guys who have pretty good chances of winning. Guys like Smyczek, Levine, & Fugate have done well in Futures and even Challengers. I think a couple of them might even be ranked ahead of DY in the ATP rankings. Smyczek won a Futures title this year, and Levine made the qtrs at the Aptos challenger.

Saw Smyczek play yesterday, man is that guy good. He hits well, and very deep (while most juniors hit short) even on the run when he is pulled wide. He can go all the way. The tournament is getting very interesting in the round of 32.

Wondertoy
08-08-2006, 05:18 AM

I saw the normally steady Boyajian choke serving 3-5 to unseeded Brian Fang after winning the first set. He was spraying the ball, double faulting and then started moonballing. The only thing that saved him was Brian choking himself on a sitter at set point. I had never saw him choke before but it was very ugly on court #1. The other players saw his vulnerability.

tennisguy11
08-08-2006, 01:14 PM
wondertoy, have you seen ravi play at all? He is in the 5th round, I am pulling for him

norcal
08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Anyone know this Ty Trombetta kid in the 16's? He is in the 5th round and routed my former hitting partner, 9th seed Jason Smith (who is very good), as well as the rest of his opponents along the way. Sleeper?

Wondertoy
08-09-2006, 02:37 AM
wondertoy, have you seen ravi play at all? He is in the 5th round, I am pulling for him

Saw the last set in his hugh upset of USTA chosen one, Devin Britten, seeded 16th. Ravi keep the serve & Voilleyer confused by his soft game mixing up his shots with adept drops and lobs. Britton whipped his racquet against the fence after the upset. Ravi is Ramesh Krisnan's newphew, who won the 16s in 1977 and went on to play Wimbledon.

Wondertoy
08-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Anyone know this Ty Trombetta kid in the 16's? He is in the 5th round and routed my former hitting partner, 9th seed Jason Smith (who is very good), as well as the rest of his opponents along the way. Sleeper?

Ty's a good player from FL, but i didn't see the match.

Wondertoy
08-09-2006, 02:41 AM
the day's biggest upset in the 16s was another marathon match--Isamu Tachibana's 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4) nail-biter over seventh seed Austin Krajicek.

In the second set tiebreak, Krajicek fell behind 3-0 but reeled off seven straight points to even the match, momentum that did not spill over into the third set. After more than two hours of play, the outcome was still very much in doubt, but when Krajicek saved four match points serving at 5-6 nearly an hour later, destiny appeared to be on his side.

"He came up with some big serves," said Tachibana, the 26th seed. "There was nothing I could do about it."

Showing no sign of disappointment at failing to convert those chances, Tachibana instead took a commanding lead in the tiebreak. After losing both his serves at 1-4, Krajicek tossed his racquet, prompting the chair umpire to cite him for racquet abuse, a point penalty that would have given Tachibana the match.

"He threw his racquet across the court," said Tachibana, 16. "The chair umpire called point penalty racquet abuse, but the referee came out on the court and rescinded the code violation so it wasn't match."

"It definitely upset me," said the soft-spoken Texan, who is playing in his first Nationals at Kalamazoo. "I was walking up to the net to shake his hand. That's never happened to me. I talked to the chair umpire--she did the right thing; he'd been throwing his racquet and had gotten a warning before."

A shaken Tachibana proceeded to lose his next two serves and when Krajicek won the next point to bring it to 6-4, the tension mounted. But Tachibana was determined not to go meekly. "I knew to put the pressure on him, try to get to the net and put it away." He did just that to record the biggest win of his junior career.

serveitup911
08-10-2006, 05:50 AM
My man McClune is doing well. He's in the Quarters and his next victim is Donald Young.

tennis_nerd22
08-10-2006, 06:33 AM
no one from the boards in it?

goober
08-10-2006, 06:36 AM
My man McClune is doing well. He's in the Quarters and his next victim is Donald Young.

As much as DY gets ripped on these boards, I would be surprised if he lost this match.

atatu
08-10-2006, 10:54 AM
What about Damico ? I heard this guy is pretty much a jerk, and that he got kicked out of John Roddicks academy, but the USTA apparently likes him enought to give him some help. Any opinions ?

Wondertoy
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
no one from the boards in it?

I'm playing in the 16s.

goober
08-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Donald Young into the semis.

I predict a Donald Young vs Jesse Levine final.

LN_Dad
08-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Nope, I say Fugate will take down DY.

Rob_C
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM

Good prediction. DY beat Fugate 3 & 1, a lot easier than I thought the match would be. Fugate beat him earlier this year at a Futures 3 & 4. Does anyone know if DY has gotten bigger. I mean, it's been 6 mos since he played Fugate, and its been a year since last years Open. Maybe he's put on a few lbs, if not an inch or two. We'll see how it goes in the final. I just checked their head to head, DY is up 2-0, but they havent played since '04, both matches were close. Its kinda weird to me that some of these guys have done better at the pro level than DY, but at the same time, he still does better than them in the jrs.

tennis_nerd22
08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Good prediction. DY beat Fugate 3 & 1, a lot easier than I thought the match would be. Fugate beat him earlier this year at a Futures 3 & 4. Does anyone know if DY has gotten bigger. I mean, it's been 6 mos since he played Fugate, and its been a year since last years Open. Maybe he's put on a few lbs, if not an inch or two. We'll see how it goes in the final. I just checked their head to head, DY is up 2-0, but they havent played since '04, both matches were close. Its kinda weird to me that some of these guys have done better at the pro level than DY, but at the same time, he still does better than them in the jrs.

sometimes its luck... or mental fitness...

Wondertoy
08-12-2006, 03:08 PM

He's grown to about 5'10" still thin.

LN_Dad
08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
I know what you mean. Fugate is older, bigger and had better results at the Futures level but couldn't handle DY today. I guess it just comes down to the match ups...

andfor
08-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I know what you mean. Fugate is older, bigger and had better results at the Futures level but couldn't handle DY today. I guess it just comes down to the match ups...

Could it be the better player won?

LN_Dad
08-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Could it be the better player won?
That's entirely possible. I didn't see the match so I can't tell whether Fugate was playing well and still lost or had an off day.

Wondertoy
08-13-2006, 06:03 AM

Although Fugate is strong and big, he's still a baseline grinder. He doesn't have the power to put away DY. His forehand is a spin shot rather than a putaway. At Bolletteri's, you get to play alot of good players but they don't necessarily correct technique. He's been there 4-5 years. He also can't stick volleys. His volleys are all dinks and drops that DY can chase down.

LN_Dad
08-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Anyone know why Holden Seguso is not competing in this tournament? He was saying he was ready for the atp tour last year.