PDA

View Full Version : bob and mike bryan using technifibre???

pcpshortbus
08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
i was looking at the thread about major and clicked the link (http://www.major-sports.fr/site-usa/sports.asp) and as i was looking through the roster of players using technifibre... bob and mike bryan are there! the funny thing is in the picture they are using wilson rackets. whats up with that??? im not sure if the link works its the first time i use one :mrgreen:

pcpshortbus
08-05-2006, 05:57 PM
go to tennis then professional sponsored players

Amone
08-05-2006, 06:00 PM
They probably use Technifibre strings.

pcpshortbus
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
ooo.......

Rob the Tennis Player
08-05-2006, 06:32 PM
They probably use Technifibre strings.

Bogie
08-05-2006, 06:53 PM
they've been using nrg2 for quite a long time now, since the start of the year i think.

bsandy
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
It's interesting, that the TF link says they're NRG2 and Spinfire Maxifire.

I've been going through pics trying to fing silver mains or crosses.

Any body got any shots ?

. . . Bud

Bogie
08-05-2006, 07:57 PM
thats cuz they're using nrg2. i dont think they're hybriding with spinfire maxipower.

jura
08-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Mike uses NRG2 17 (about 23-24 kp), Bob plays a hybrid with polyester mains and NRG2 17 croses (about on kp higher).

Return_Ace
08-06-2006, 02:44 AM
"Bryan Brothers world #1, wins Australian Open Championship with Tecnifibre NRG and Spinfire Maxipower strings."

mca10spro
08-06-2006, 01:58 PM
i was looking at the thread about major and clicked the link (http://www.major-sports.fr/site-usa/sports.asp) and as i was looking through the roster of players using technifibre... bob and mike bryan are there! the funny thing is in the picture they are using wilson rackets. whats up with that??? im not sure if the link works its the first time i use one :mrgreen:

They've been using Technifibre for quite sometime now. At least one year.

Just because they use Wilson racquets doesn't mean that they have to use Wilson strings, grips, shoes, clothes, etc. Wilson pays very little sponsorship money to the professional tennis players. They believe in spending their money in grass roots programs and giving their money back to the underpriveleged etc. Unlike Prince and Head who pay much, much more.

I think players who use Wilson racquets, including myself use them because that's what they grew up playing with. Then players like the Bryan bros. will go out and get other endorsements like Technifibre and Adidas who will pay them much more to supplement their earned prize money income. I know Agassi switched from wearing Nike to Addidas because Nike would only contribute $2 million to his school in Las Vegas and Addidas stepped up and paid him like $10 mil.

Welcome to the world of economics. Whatever the market will bear, that's where the players will go. I am not saying it's right, I'm just saying that it happens.

Can you blame them?

Mike

mca10spro
08-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Now that I think about it, I think the Bryan boys were using Technifibre during the Masters cup in Houston in 2003 & 2004. They might have even been using back when they played for Stanford. There has been a big resurgence of technifibre in the States here of late and they are really being aggresive on the college scene. I remember when I first learned of Technifibre through players like Aaron Krickstein and Gabriella Sabatini. I thought that was cool to play with that string. I found out quicly that the string is very soft and didn't hold its tension very long. I know that there string has come along way in its development. I can't say that I've played with it since the '80's. However, I have talked the reps. here of late and that's how I get my info.

tennis4losers
08-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Doesnt tecnifibre sponcer U of W

PBODY99
08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
They used the string for at least 3 years,the Wilson frames..........paintjobs.

jaykay
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Wilson pays very little sponsorship money to the professional tennis players. They believe in spending their money in grass roots programs and giving their money back to the underpriveleged etc. Unlike Prince and Head who pay much, much more.

I find this extremely difficult to believe (you got any data to back this up?). You make it sound as if Wilson is an extremely benevolent, philanthropic organization which is interested in solving world hunger. Definitely not the case. Wilson is in the business of making money (as is everybody else) and would be paying as much (if not more) to the pros who endorse their frames, as would Head, Prince, Babolat etc.

I am not trying to be offensive here... but would like to point out that none of these organizations are 'holier than thou' like you make them out to be (nothing wrong with that... its just the way it is).

mca10spro
08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I find this extremely difficult to believe (you got any data to back this up?). You make it sound as if Wilson is an extremely benevolent, philanthropic organization which is interested in solving world hunger. Definitely not the case. Wilson is in the business of making money (as is everybody else) and would be paying as much (if not more) to the pros who endorse their frames, as would Head, Prince, Babolat etc.

I am not trying to be offensive here... but would like to point out that none of these organizations are 'holier than thou' like you make them out to be (nothing wrong with that... its just the way it is).

After talking to the Wilson Rep in Houston, he told me that they don't pay Federer anything near what Prince and Head pay their players. I think it's the clothing companies that pay out the big bucks. Companies like Nike and Adidas, etc. I will see if I can find out from the Wilson Rep. about how much they pay their players.

The majority of the sponsorship money is in the top 20 players. If you are outside the top 50, you are not making big bucks on the tour through endorsements, unless you are a sex symbol like Kournivkova.

How much money do you guys think these players make for playing with certain racquets?

It may be different when they have their name attached to a racquet. For example Prince had a Michael Chang racquet. I can see him cashing in on a percentage of sales for their racquet. I guess Federer and the Bryan Bros. would be another example; as would Roddick, with his PD Roddick.

TennisProPaul
08-07-2006, 11:19 PM

jaykay its true.

wilson only paid graf 150k a year and sampras about that or a tad more at the most. wilson has always never paid pros much to play with thier frames as they are some of the best at customizing and making sure the player has exactly what they need and when they need it. it seems when a player is a top player and wants to play with wilson they might try to get more from wilson but wilson holds ground very well and wont budge knowing that player does not want to switch frames as that could mess up thier game. so in return for wilson not paying hand over fist for a player like sampras , graf, or federer to use wilson, wilson will make sure the player is taken care of in terms of other areas aside from cash. when your a top player top 5 -10 you would rather make the bulk of your cash from tournaments then from a racquet deal.

the fact is over time wilson is the one company that pays the top pros the least to use wilson.

believe it or not but its true

PrestigeClassic
08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
jaykay its true.

wilson only paid graf 150k a year and sampras about that or a tad more at the most. wilson has always never paid pros much to play with thier frames as they are some of the best at customizing and making sure the player has exactly what they need and when they need it. it seems when a player is a top player and wants to play with wilson they might try to get more from wilson but wilson holds ground very well and wont budge knowing that player does not want to switch frames as that could mess up thier game. so in return for wilson not paying hand over fist for a player like sampras , graf, or federer to use wilson, wilson will make sure the player is taken care of in terms of other areas aside from cash. when your a top player top 5 -10 you would rather make the bulk of your cash from tournaments then from a racquet deal.

the fact is over time wilson is the one company that pays the top pros the least to use wilson.

believe it or not but its true

It is hard to believe ~$150,000 for Graf or Sampras when everything is put into perspective.

Graf was new to Wilson frames, so she must really have liked their frames to pick to switch to Wilson.

Sampras might have had a low deal after showing he was intent on playing with the same frames, just without a stencil. He probably wouldn't even have ever blacked out the frames either. But ~$150,000 for an old company's perhaps most visible player ever, the face of Wilson during his career?

Federer was recently signed to a $2 million/year lifetime contract. That's lifetime, not career lifetime. That's getting taken care of both with frames/string/balls/accessories and with money. Also, Federer has played with Wilson since he was like 10 years old, so who would think that Federer would switch now?

All of this sure puts into perspective Graf's and Sampras' ~$150,000 Wilson contracts, assuming those are accurate figures.

jura
08-08-2006, 05:29 AM
In my eyes these are jokes. Graf only 150k? I saw the contract of a female player who was between 60 and 120 at this time. She got not less than 25k a year!
And what about the new lifetime contract for Federer. It was said he receives several millions. And the Williams sisters? I know Venus hat a Wilson contract as a child. At the beginning of her pro time she used Yonex without contract. And then she switched back to Wilson because they have such a good heart?!?!

mctennis
08-08-2006, 07:12 AM
They were using technifibre strings.