PDA

View Full Version : If Federer is using a ProStaff 'PJ' in 2006...

Galactus
08-06-2006, 06:54 AM
...then can we agree that back during the 2002 season to mid-2004, he was using a bonafide, non-PJ Wilson ProStaff Tour90 ???

I can clearly see the PWS with five-grommets/strings here:
http://www.mariovilla.com/eventi/masterseries2003/01/images/20_roger_federer.jpg

This contradicts the main argument with today's PJ-conspiracy-theorists is the four-grommet/string PWS seen on the old ProStaff Original....

LowProfile
08-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Yes, but perhaps when he switched to the nSix-One Tour paintjob, he may have also changed the specifications of his racquet slightly into a Prostaff Tour 90 - Prostaff 6.0 hybrid.

DariusRaiden
08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Yes, Roger did use a genuine Tour 90 during the Roma Masters in 2003, and perhaps for some tournaments before then. But when he won Wimbledon, he used the customized Prostaff with the long throat and short pallet.

Galactus
08-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Yes, but perhaps when he switched to the nSix-One Tour paintjob, he may have also changed the specifications of his racquet slightly into a Prostaff Tour 90 - Prostaff 6.0 hybrid.
Hmmm...I think there's too much going on here:
You're suggesting a Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 - Tour90 - nCodeTour90 hybrid????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Galactus
08-07-2006, 07:17 AM
My questioning is along the lines of, 'if Fededer was perfectly fine using a Prostaff Tour90 from 2002 to mid 2004, having won two Slams along the way, why would he revert back down to a 85"/88" head'? :confused: :confused:

chiru
08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
according to greg raven he didn't, the headsize of the fed racket is the same as whatever the stock version is, which im pretty sure is just plain old 90.

Galactus
08-07-2006, 08:35 AM
according to greg raven he didn't, the headsize of the fed racket is the same as whatever the stock version is, which im pretty sure is just plain old 90.
Ok - so we can assume therefore that he's now using a 90" head but with a totally customized Prostaff Original 85"-type PWS...

jackson vile
08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Everything is the same except for very very slight differences, this tells us that Roger has a "Roger mold" that is closing to being the same ie static weight, swing weight, blance, where the weight is placed in the racket.

But that the string pattern is slightly different, the handle is much shorter, and most likely the material is different being either 100%graphite or graphite kevlar.

Also has anyone ever checked the n6.1 Tour 90 with the PS 85 for head size? Where is the extra head size at, is it slightly longer, wider?

Arafel
08-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Everything is the same except for very very slight differences, this tells us that Roger has a "Roger mold" that is closing to being the same ie static weight, swing weight, blance, where the weight is placed in the racket.

But that the string pattern is slightly different, the handle is much shorter, and most likely the material is different being either 100%graphite or graphite kevlar.

Also has anyone ever checked the n6.1 Tour 90 with the PS 85 for head size? Where is the extra head size at, is it slightly longer, wider?

Actually, you might want to read the results of Greg's playtests of Fed's actual racquet vs. a PS 85 and a retail n6.1:

http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/federer_playtest.html

The conclusion: Fed uses a n6.1 Tour that has some customizations, but they come from the same production run as the retail version. This is backed by both measurements of the frame and actual play-tests of the frames.

There is no "Roger mold."

jackson vile
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, you might want to read the results of Greg's playtests of Fed's actual racquet vs. a PS 85 and a retail n6.1:

http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/federer_playtest.html

The conclusion: Fed uses a n6.1 Tour that has some customizations, but they come from the same production run as the retail version. This is backed by both measurements of the frame and actual play-tests of the frames.

There is no "Roger mold."

You would be right if the pallets were the same length, you can't get that with out a different mold, plus the different string pattern.

IE Rogers pallet is shorter, and the top of the neck longer, if you strip a regular 6.1tour90 it will not have those physical characteristics as there is a void there so that the foam has a place.

And then you can see on the pics comparision that they are physcally different with Rogers having an slightly more open string pattern.

Thus it is not the ratail mold, but virtually the same, but who knows of the composition

Arafel
08-07-2006, 11:42 AM
You would be right if the pallets were the same length, you can't get that with out a different mold, plus the different string pattern.

IE Rogers pallet is shorter, and the top of the neck longer, if you strip a regular 6.1tour90 it will not have those physical characteristics as there is a void there so that the foam has a place.

And then you can see on the pics comparision that they are physcally different with Rogers having an slightly more open string pattern.

Thus it is not the ratail mold, but virtually the same, but who knows of the composition

All they are doing is putting on a shorter grip and a different grommet pattern. That's it. As for the composition, it's probably the same, judging by how the playtests went.

onehandbh
08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Another thing to take into consideration is that the retail version of the 6.1
that Greg used for the comparisons had a lower swing weight so he added
lead tape to bring it up to the regular specs. I wonder if this new leaded up
racquet would play different from a 6.1 that started off heavier to begin with.

jackson vile
08-07-2006, 12:37 PM
All they are doing is putting on a shorter grip and a different grommet pattern. That's it. As for the composition, it's probably the same, judging by how the playtests went.

No the pallet is shorter, and the neck longer, ie you can in no shape or form make the 6.1 neck look like rogers as it is physcially impossbile.

And it is not as simple as adding in different grommets, the hole spacing is physically different as pictured.

And in reality it most likely is has zero ncode in the racket, as he would want to keep that solid feeling of the PS 85

BreakPoint
08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
However, in this pic of Federer's actual PS Tour 90, it looks to me like the pattern is more open in the middle than retail and it looks more like it has only 4 crosses at the PWS: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38874

BTW, Federer did not use a racquet with the PS Tour 90 paintjob until the spring of 2003, as that's when the retail racquet was introduced. In the early part of 2002, he continued to use a PS 6.0 85 but with a HPS 6.0 95 Tour red, black, and yellow paintjob. Then later in 2002 and in the early part of 2003, he switched to a racquet with a 90 sq. in. head (presumably a PS Tour 90 mold) but with the same HPS 6.0 95 Tour red, black, and yellow paintjob, so that the switch was not that noticable.

PrestigeClassic
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
However, in this pic of Federer's actual PS Tour 90, it looks to me like the pattern is more open in the middle than retail and it looks more like it has only 4 crosses at the PWS: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=38874

BTW, Federer did not use a racquet with the PS Tour 90 paintjob until the spring of 2003, as that's when the retail racquet was introduced. In the early part of 2002, he continued to use a PS 6.0 85 but with a HPS 6.0 95 Tour red, black, and yellow paintjob. Then later in 2002 and in the early part of 2003, he switched to a racquet with a 90 sq. in. head (presumably a PS Tour 90 mold) but with the same HPS 6.0 95 Tour red, black, and yellow paintjob, so that the switch was not that noticable.

This has been covered before in a timeline that I made. The 90inē frame with Hyper cosmetic that Federer used appeared to not be the retail mold, in fact, it looked like the same mold that Federer has now. After that, Federer played what looked like the retail Tour 90 mold. And actually, the Hyper paintjob was not the exact same as it was when Fed was using the 6.0 85, it was the newer version with yellow squares instead of silver. The main visual difference between the 90inē "Hyper" frame and the current frame is the "Hyper" frame seemed to have a stock string pattern with five strings through the PWS.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=702888#post702888

The pictures are missing, so just search gettyimages for the player's name and the date as referenced.

Young Pete
08-08-2006, 01:49 AM
question: did federer actually use the yellow tour 90 (retail spec) version sometime in his career? I mean the yellow tour 90 that we can get our hands on?

crazylevity
08-08-2006, 04:27 AM
I highly doubt so. Federer played with a PS 6.0 85 prior to that, in 2000-2001. Video clips of him playing as a junior point to that same racket.

PrestigeClassic
08-08-2006, 04:48 AM
question: did federer actually use the yellow tour 90 (retail spec) version sometime in his career? I mean the yellow tour 90 that we can get our hands on?

Did you see the original post with a picture of Federer holding a racket? That would be a retail Tour 90. Federer never used his custom mold with both 1.) Tour 90 cosmetic and 2.) five strings through the PWS.

Greg Raven
08-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is that the retail version of the 6.1
that Greg used for the comparisons had a lower swing weight so he added
lead tape to bring it up to the regular specs. I wonder if this new leaded up
racquet would play different from a 6.1 that started off heavier to begin with.

Considering the final measurements, and the fact that I added only 3 grams of tape, I don't think there's any difference in playability.