PDA

View Full Version : clements stencil

pcpshortbus
08-06-2006, 11:16 AM
im watching espn2 and clement is playing murray but i was wondering why clement has a head stencil and then a smaller head stencil near the throat of the racket... if it was for the strings wouldnt the bigger one already be advertising it?

Rabbit
08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
The new standard seems to be the larger stencil is for the frame and the lower, smaller stencil is for the strings. Head is just utilizing as much billboard space as they can.

And, the answer to your question is no. There are lots of players who use strings and pay for them and don't stencil.

LowProfile
08-06-2006, 11:23 AM
The new standard seems to be the larger stencil is for the frame and the lower, smaller stencil is for the strings. Head is just utilizing as much billboard space as they can.

And, the answer to your question is no. There are lots of players who use strings and pay for them and don't stencil.

He got it. It's not necessary to use a stencil for a string that you actually buy yourself, but players must stencil when they are sponsored by a string company. Ex. Davydenko or Sampras.

pcpshortbus
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM

so does federer buy his own strings? he doesnt have a luxilon stencil on his racket

Freedom
08-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Nobody, to my knowledge, has a Luxilon stencil.

OccasionalTennis
08-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I can't think of any of the big players that have luxilon's stencil. But I've seen plenty of challengers players with them. Lux. probably didn't want (or need) to fork the cash out for stenciling in the contract. You can see how people obsess over pro's setups on these boards.

slice bh compliment
08-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Nobody, to my knowledge, has a Luxilon stencil.

Occasional Tennis is correct. You've seen it on pro's racquets. Guga comes to mind. I think JCF as well. Their stencil art consists of that small angular L with the dot to the side. Fairly subtle, unless you're looking for it I guess.

PrestigeClassic
08-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Furthermore, a Luxilon stencil does not apply to Federer because he uses a hybrid only.

thetenniskid07
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
so does federer buy his own strings? he doesnt have a luxilon stencil on his racket

People that hybrid with 2 different brands don't stencil.

thetenniskid07
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Furthermore, a Luxilon stencil does not apply to Federer because he uses a hybrid only.

yup yup

thetenniskid07
08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I can't think of any of the big players that have luxilon's stencil. But I've seen plenty of challengers players with them. Lux. probably didn't want (or need) to fork the cash out for stenciling in the contract. You can see how people obsess over pro's setups on these boards.

Robredo and Berdych does/ did

DariusRaiden
08-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Players don't have a string stencil if a company has purchased "exclusive rights" to their stringbed. In the case of Federer, Hewitt, and others, their racquet companies buy the string so that no stencil art is necessary. Did anyone notice how Baghdatis and Wawrinka no longer have string stencils? Well its because they have made ranking jumps and now their racquet companies buy the string for them so no logo is required. Racquet companies must think it makes them more money by having a player advertise only their company(not having people thinking about Luxilon or Babolat when they use a Head racquet).