PDA

View Full Version : Recommended tension ranges??

gofederer
02-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Could anybody tell me whether manufacturers' recommended tension ranges are based on stringing on manual "instant off" machines or electronic "constant pull" machines?? :oops:

Loud
02-19-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't think it really matters since you could string outside those parameters with no risk of frame damage (ouside by a little, say a couple of pounds, not alot say 15 lbs)

axle
02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Most likely manual machines. electronic machines usually require decrease of ~10lbs to achieve desired tension.

Plus, they have to figure more than 90% of all stringers use a manual pull of some kind.

gofederer
02-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm reviving this thread to see if axle's comment can be corroborated. According to TW's Learning Center:

Each racquet has a recommended tension range. This range has been determined by the manufacturer as a result of extensive playtesting by real players. If a player doesn’t have a specific need (more power, arm problems, etc.), he should start at mid-range and make any adjustments from there.

It also tells us there are two kinds of tension and they are:

Reference Tension: The tension a racquet is strung at, or machine tension, which is always higher than Actual Tension. Continuous pull machines (electric, electronic and dropweight) will generally string tighter (5-10%) than a lockout (spring tension) machine, ATBE.

and

Actual Tension: The tension in a strung racquet, which will almost always be lower than the machine setting, or reference tension. This is due (mostly) to string relaxation, or creep. As a result, a racquet strung at 60 pounds may actually measure (with a Stringmeter) 50-55 pounds, depending on head size, type of string and machine type used.

So question is which one do manufacturers' recommended tension ranges refer to: 1) actual tension, 2) reference tension strung on a continuous pull machine, or 3) reference tension strung on a lockout machine? There are big differences among these and warranties and apparently playability are at stake here, aren't they?

gofederer
02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
I got the answer from Wilson myself. Think you guys might be interested as well...

Response (Roger Guerrero) 02/26/2004 01:21 PM

When playtesting our stringers use Electric constant pull machines. It is very rare actually
nowadays for a profesional shop to use a crank pull string machine.

The recommended tension range is determined by stringing the racquets at various tension
on our electric pull machines. After which the playtesters give us feedback as to what they
feel the racquet plays best at. Because of the difference in players, whether it is age, weight,
gender etc. their responses vary. An average is then taken and than a recommend tension
range is placed on the racquet.

As you can see even though the tension may be as exact as possible the results are fairly
subjective, as they are based on peoples opinions. The tension range that works best for you
could actually even fall outside of this range. For Example, McEnroe used to play with a
racquet at the extreme low end 45-55 lbs, while Sampras played with a racquet Tension from
66-72 lbs. Many players do not stick with one tension, & often vary them depending on
playing surface, weather, etc. Another example would be Micheal Chang who played actually
would bring up 12 racquets on court, not because he thought he was going to break 11 sets of
string but rather he had 4 sets of racquets strung at different tensions so that he could make
a change of tension when his current racquet was not working well for him.

David Pavlich
02-27-2004, 07:02 PM
The manufacturers don't make a distinction as to what type of stringing machine is used. Head size and string pattern have a lot to do with tension ranges, however. A 95 sqin racquet with a pattern of 16X20 pattern will likely have a higer max tension than a racquet with a pattern of 18X20. MOre strings equals more overall stress on the frame.

A racquet like the POG OS can take a lot of tension. I string mine at 70 with no problem. It's a large head which means the string length is longer. A long string at 70 pounds is less stressful than a short string at 70 lbs.

So there are a lot of factors that a manufacturer considers when setting the tension range.

This doesn't include ranges for racquets like the PD (Woofer) or the Catapult series. These ranges are set to allow the grommets to do their thing. Above or below the tension range and the Woofer/Catapult won't function properly.
David