PDA

View Full Version : Question about making a video!

gery
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Hello guys!

Next week a cameraman is coming to film me! I'll send the VHS to a college!

What should I play? Should I play on that training a match? Or should I play drills?

Please help me!

Thanks guys
Gery

Duzza
08-07-2006, 04:09 AM
If you're gonna use it as an aid for getting a Scholarship, spend lots of time on it. Make sure you're well prepared and go full at it in the video. Probably match conditions best to film in but more errors maybe?

35ft6
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Hello guys!

Next week a cameraman is coming to film me! I'll send the VHS to a college!

What should I play? Should I play on that training a match? Or should I play drills?

Please help me!

Thanks guys
Gery You should consider burning it to DVD.

Anyway, coaches mostly care about watching you play a REAL match. A partner and I were considering starting a business making these showcase videos for high school players who wanted to play college ball, so we emailed a bunch of college coaches, asked them what they'd like to see, and that's what they said they cared about the most: seeing how you perform in an actual match.

So have a short introduction at the beginning, you talking to the coach, saying hi, showing him what a nice guy you are...

Then show about 30 seconds of each stroke. Don't heavily edit your strokes, as in don't cut it so you never miss, show the raw footage of you hitting 20 shots in a row, hopefully most of them going in.

Then show a match or at least a set. When we did it we titled in the score and cut out the dead space between points and games. Use a short dissolve. It's best if it's an actual match, not just you playing a practice set against somebody you know you can beat up on.

gery
08-08-2006, 10:41 AM
You should consider burning it to DVD.

Anyway, coaches mostly care about watching you play a REAL match. A partner and I were considering starting a business making these showcase videos for high school players who wanted to play college ball, so we emailed a bunch of college coaches, asked them what they'd like to see, and that's what they said they cared about the most: seeing how you perform in an actual match.

So have a short introduction at the beginning, you talking to the coach, saying hi, showing him what a nice guy you are...

Then show about 30 seconds of each stroke. Don't heavily edit your strokes, as in don't cut it so you never miss, show the raw footage of you hitting 20 shots in a row, hopefully most of them going in.

Then show a match or at least a set. When we did it we titled in the score and cut out the dead space between points and games. Use a short dissolve. It's best if it's an actual match, not just you playing a practice set against somebody you know you can beat up on.

Thanks for this great answer! But where should the cameraman stay? Behind me?

MTChong
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm not entirely sure as to which spot would be best, but it seems that an angle from the direction of the netpost would be a good angle to show your footwork as well as your technique - maybe not as extreme as from the netpost, but maybe from somewhere between the baseline and the service line but off to the side.

edberg505
08-08-2006, 12:53 PM
If you can, I would get video of you playing in an actual tournament. I never had to make a video because a lot of the coaches had seen me play at state and junior tournaments.

35ft6
08-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks for this great answer! But where should the cameraman stay? Behind me? I would start with him getting you from the front, a shot to show your technique, then have him stand behind you so coach can see where your shots are going.