PDA

View Full Version : Umag report

croatian sensation
08-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Ok, a few weeks ago I started a thread about Studena Croatia Open in Umag, since I was there working at the tourney. Unfortunately I didn't have easy access to a computer there, and then I continued my vacation and came home yesterday so this report is totally out of date, but I hope it's still worth reading.
Anyway, I was working as a hostess at the tourney. (I don't know a better English word for that. Hostesses at the tourney work at the entrances, VIP boxes at the stands, offices- like press centre and so on).
The point of the job (btw. Diegaa…it wasn't volounteer work, it's a normal, paying job) is «to smile, be nice and pretty» as the tourney director said to us the first day ROFL. Other than that I was working at the entrance to the central court. It was a fun job. Because except when letting people enter the stadium between games, I was doing nothing but watching tennis all day long.

I promised some gossip about the players, but I'm afraid I'll have to skip that part now. After all this is internet, and I don't want to get into trouble :-)
Unfortunately, this year's tourney was really poor regarding players. Andreev and Monfils cancelled before the tourney even started, Ferrer cancelled after that 5-setter in Stuttgart. Ferrero lost in round 1. And Coria…ah well..like he said it himself- played one of his worst matches ever. I was sitting in row 1. It was painful to watch.

Nevertheless, Umag is more than just a tourney. The courts are right next to the beach, the nightlife is really good. I don't know how it is in other tourneys, but here you can see players out partying every night. And it's a very friendly-like atmosphere, you can always approach a player and ask him for a picture (hint: they're always hanging at the bar LOL )
Here are 2 pics I took. More are to follow when I get the pics that weren't on my camera.
(The hideous outfit on the 2nd pic is my uniform)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/123445.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/75422.jpg

croatian sensation
08-08-2006, 06:20 AM
What kept this tourney going on in terms of tennis was one guy- Novak Djokovic.
He's great. I've already known that he has a promising career and a good game. But before Umag I didn't know what a great personality he has. Which is why he is liked here in Croatia, despite the fact that he's Serbian. And trust me…a Serbian being liked in Croatia is a huge accomplishment.
Maybe some of you saw the closing ceremony of the tourney. As you know Djokovic had to ret. After leading 3-1 in the 1st set tie-break. He collapsed right there on court. It was a terrible shame, since it was his tourney to win. He was playing perfect tennis the whole week.

Anyway, in his speech, after apologizing to the crowd for watching only an hour of tennis, and saying thank you to everyone organizing the tourney he says « I can tell you now…since Wawrinka can't understand me, he payed me a couple of thousand euros to retire…» so everyone started laughing and Wawrinka was sitting there looking totally confused so Djokovic continues.. «He's giving me funny looks now…maybe he did understand after all..hmm..» It was hilarious. i think he got a bigger applause from the crowd than Wawrinka. Although Wawrinka deserved it as well. He was also playing really good in that match.

Djokovic is great. Whenever I was near him I was rolling on the floor laughing. He's incredibly funny and easy-going.
For example, the night before the finals we were having a rehersal of the closing ceremony. So we were all there lined up on central court. The linesmen, ball kids, hostesses…and all of a sudden Djokovic walks in. Goes straight to the table with the trophies and takes the big one and starts thanking the imaginary crowd. It was soo funny. (Unfortunately I think he jinxed himself by doing that :-( )

Then on some other occasion, a journalist was taking a pic of him next to the DC trophy and Djokovic tells him «Write 'childhood dream' under the pic» and then continues like «Man..I'm never gonna win this…»

Bottomline: Djokovic is not only a (very near) future top 10 player, but a great personality as well.

And just to close this essay… he really wouldn't retire in this finals if he didn't have to. All week he was having trouble with his shoulder, medical time outs all the time. And then on Friday a huge storm interrupted his QF match with Jiri Vanek. They continued at noon the other day. And Vanek was playing like Fed. I don't know what got into that guy..but he was painting the lines. I think his 1st serve percentafe was like 80%. The guy couldn't hit an out. So that match went into 3 sets. And then in the evening Djokovic played SF against Moya. So after being not 100% healthy all week, and then playing 2 matches on Sat..it wasn't looking good for him on Sunday. I saw his practice 2 hours before the finals. His shoulder was really painful and he was really ****ed about it.
So give the guy a break. He had bad luck.

diegaa
08-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Nice, cs. :)
Now you should replace that looser guy at your avatar for Djokovic (who seems to have stolen your hart :p )

nickybol
08-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Good report! Keep up the good work! Nice pictures!

croatian sensation
08-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Nice, cs. :)
Now you should replace that looser guy at your avatar for Djokovic (who seems to have stolen your hart :p )

LOL..I could. But I stick to my guy in good and bad ;-)

@nickybol: I'll post some more pics when I get them. In a few days hopefully.

Jonnyf
08-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Nice thanks i knew some people who went to umag.!!

nickybol
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
By the way, how was your holiday?

Topaz
08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Great report! And very nice pictures. I spent last week at the Legg Mason tournament in DC (not working, as a spectator), and I was too shy to try to even get an autograph from a player.

ilovecarlos
08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Really enjoyed reading about your experience...you write very well. Tell me, how does Carlos look? I'm afraid he might be thinking of retiring soon since he hasn't had many good results lately. Was he playing decently? What about his fitness? Could you tell anything? Am sure we'd all love to hear the stories that you think you can't tell...c'mon, please??????

croatian sensation
08-09-2006, 04:27 AM
@I love Carlos... well he was kinda shaky in his round 1 match. He almost lost from Jiri Novak. After that match he begun to play better, but in his match with Djokovic it was obvious that his time is slowly fading. He still has the strokes that made him #1 and won him RG, but he is a bit slower. And is making more UE than he used to. The match with Djokovic was really the old vs. the young. Carlos is great, but he is 10 yrs older than Novak, and yeah..it showed.
I didn't get a pic with Moya, although I had a chance. But I was so into the conversation with Coria that I didn't even pay attention to Carlos (I bet you think it's a sin...to have Moya standing 1 m from you and ignore him :-)).
About the gossip..well there's nothing related to Carlos this year ;-)

@Topaz: There's nothing to be shy about. You should've seen my friend and me ambushing Wawrinka for a pic. We saw him, abandoned our working position and left the entrance un-attended, ran like 15 m in high heels and then I shouted "Stanislas, could we take a pic". About 20 people turned and the guy thought we were insane. But hey, I got the pic :-)
It is easier to get pics and autographs when you're in uniform, and when the players know you are working there. But, there's no problem in getting pics even in the evening, out at the club. That's what I love about Umag. The players don't act like celebrities. I've never seen a player refuse to take a pic with a fan.

croatian sensation
08-09-2006, 04:29 AM
By the way, how was your holiday?

Umag was great (I considered that a holiday as well :-)) but the rest was not so good...it was raining for a week at the place where I was.
I've been on vacation for 3 weeks. And I went to the beach 3 times. :cry:

ilovecarlos
08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, we all have our favorites....I'm happy that you got your photo with some of yours....I probably would have frozen if I were that close to Carlos. Not much chance of that ever happening...but a girl can dream, right? Thanks for the insight.

TennisProPaul
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Ok, a few weeks ago I started a thread about Studena Croatia Open in Umag, since I was there working at the tourney. Unfortunately I didn't have easy access to a computer there, and then I continued my vacation and came home yesterday so this report is totally out of date, but I hope it's still worth reading.
Anyway, I was working as a hostess at the tourney. (I don't know a better English word for that. Hostesses at the tourney work at the entrances, VIP boxes at the stands, offices- like press centre and so on).
The point of the job (btw. Diegaa…it wasn't volounteer work, it's a normal, paying job) is «to smile, be nice and pretty» as the tourney director said to us the first day ROFL. Other than that I was working at the entrance to the central court. It was a fun job. Because except when letting people enter the stadium between games, I was doing nothing but watching tennis all day long.

I promised some gossip about the players, but I'm afraid I'll have to skip that part now. After all this is internet, and I don't want to get into trouble :-)
Unfortunately, this year's tourney was really poor regarding players. Andreev and Monfils cancelled before the tourney even started, Ferrer cancelled after that 5-setter in Stuttgart. Ferrero lost in round 1. And Coria…ah well..like he said it himself- played one of his worst matches ever. I was sitting in row 1. It was painful to watch.

Nevertheless, Umag is more than just a tourney. The courts are right next to the beach, the nightlife is really good. I don't know how it is in other tourneys, but here you can see players out partying every night. And it's a very friendly-like atmosphere, you can always approach a player and ask him for a picture (hint: they're always hanging at the bar LOL )
Here are 2 pics I took. More are to follow when I get the pics that weren't on my camera.
(The hideous outfit on the 2nd pic is my uniform)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/123445.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/75422.jpg

cool. what players did you hook up with?

nickybol
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, we all have our favorites....I'm happy that you got your photo with some of yours....I probably would have frozen if I were that close to Carlos. Not much chance of that ever happening...but a girl can dream, right? Thanks for the insight.
Why won`t that happen? Dreaming is the first step, making your dreams come true is the next step.

croatian sensation
08-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok..as I promised here are some more photos.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/95468.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/535364.jpg

@ Ilovecarlos.. This is for you. On the 1st pic you can see how close Carlos was to me when I was talking to Coria. And yet I didn't take a pic with him.I'm sure you'd ignore Guille and focus on Carlos if you were there ;-)
I'm sorry the other 2 pics aren't so good. The lights on the court were somehow interfering with camera's light so the pics are dark.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/DSC00375-1.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/DSC00427.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/crosen06/DSC00428.jpg

croatian sensation
08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
cool. what players did you hook up with?

Moi? None. I'm waiting for some to get divorced LMAO :D

ilovecarlos
08-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Thank you! Those were very nice. Nice smile on Carlos in photo #1..yeah the lights weren't too good but the subject showed up clearly! You made my afternoon...now if Carlos can somehow pull this match against Murray....hmmmmmm...not likely, but I've got faith!

nickybol
08-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Nice pics again cs, you look nice in those pictures!

croatian sensation
08-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Nice pics again cs, you look nice in those pictures!

Thanks. When you party during the night and work during the day huge sunglasses are your best friend :)

ilovecarlos
08-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks. When you party during the night and work during the day huge sunglasses are your best friend :)

Truer words were never spoken...been there...done that!