PDA

View Full Version : Floating Tennis Court...

no skillz
08-08-2006, 04:20 PM
So I live on a lake and I wonder if its possible to build a tennis court to float in my lake.

Totally possible however I am wondering if the city will allow it. I am going to go to the court house to see if they will grant me a letter of acceptance for building a floating tennis court.

What are you opinions on this? How awesome would it be to have a floating tennis court.

Swissv2
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
yeah, and the dangers of falling over the side, or getting waves and the waves coming up over the court, or having an unstable platform so you fall and roll your ankle. But if that is fun tennis for you, then have at it!

no skillz
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually being secured by several anchores will solve the problem of most movement. The is very placid and a floating surface area will be sturdy even with two people running around on top of it.

snoflewis
08-08-2006, 04:54 PM
So I live on a lake and I wonder if its possible to build a tennis court to float in my lake.

Totally possible however I am wondering if the city will allow it. I am going to go to the court house to see if they will grant me a letter of acceptance for building a floating tennis court.

What are you opinions on this? How awesome would it be to have a floating tennis court.

that's actually pretty cool, if it all goes through..you're gonna post pictures right? :rolleyes:

what kind of surface do you plan on laying out for your court?

Freedom
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Make sure you leave plenty of running room around the court, probably at least ten feet behind the baselines, and maybe at least seven on the sides.

You'll need a fence of course. How do you plan on getting to your floating court? Boat? A bridge?

equinox
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Can't be much fun playing tennis with lifejackets on..

quest01
08-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I thought about building a grass court in my backward once, but i dont think it would work out.

OrangeOne
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Actually being secured by several anchores will solve the problem of most movement. The is very placid and a floating surface area will be sturdy even with two people running around on top of it.

You may have "no skillz", but you'd want to have "serious cash"! Maybe you could buy an old barge.....but even then!

People have said it's 20-50k (us) from memory to build a land-based court, including things like fencing and lighting, with lighting standard being one of the big variable costs (i imagine surface choice being another). Surely we're talking a factor of 5 or 10 times that to "build on water", even assuming council approval, etc etc.

So unless you have obscene amounts of money *to burn* on something as frivolous as a floating court - I really can't see it happening! Who knows, maybe you've got a lazy quarter-mill and you'll be posting photos only next week! ;)

no skillz
08-08-2006, 09:18 PM
My father and I were having a conversation about it, he is an engineer.
Platoons will be the floaters, and several will be used in certain locations to provide maximum boyancy and stability.
I am a recreational welder and have build several exhausts and manifolds for cars, so building a metal skeleton would be cheap. The skeleton will be metal, the top layer will be pressure treated wood, and the surface is yet unknown.
The court would be a hop away from the little island protruding from our property. There is no lighting issue as it will only be used during the day, so sun is the cheapest and best source of light.
It is my dream project so time and money and heart would be poured into this project. But I am almost positive that it will be killed before plans are even made by the strict building code of maimi dade.
I doubt pictures will be posted next week, probably not even next month but it would be 90 feet by 50 feet, so along with the city I would need a petition from all the other people who live around the lake, which I see no problem with because they would be allowed to use the court.
Also by being anchored in 5 locations - 4 corners and the center - there would be almost no movement even in a doubles situation.
Certainly it would be featured in tennis magazines and maybe even in design magazines. Surely people with millions would love to have one on their private lake, so it could grow into a business.
But thats all wishful thinking.