PDA

View Full Version : Does the thermoguard offer enough protection...

pmata814
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Do Wilson bags with thermoguard offer enough protection from the heat? Could I leave my racquets in the trunk of my car, in the south Texas heat (100+), for 8 hours while I get out of work? I've heard it can get as hot as 150 degrees inside a car. Would you do it if they were your racquets? Thanks in advance.

hermano05
08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I always do that... here in brazil is really hot too... my bag is always inside my car... and it stays there for more than 8 hours... and nothing happened yet... i do that since the begining of the year. i hope it is protecting them... and i also leave another racquet in the moisture guard... and nothing happened too... i dont know if im lucky, but nothing happened. and i cant guarantee that nothing will happen to your racquets.

will1087
08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Thermoguards protect against quick changes in temp. and not prolonged exposure to extreme temps.

If you value your racquets, you might want to take them inside or risk warping or loss of tension.

Swissv2
08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I have wilson thermo-guard bags. It works pretty well, but prolonged sun exposure at high temperature is not recommended. Just use your common sense and keep the bag in a cool place or in the shade and you should be perfect.

MotoMD
08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Thermodynamics is against you. A thermo guard of any sort won't do anything but SLOW the change in temperature, unless it is a complete vacuum (which no tennis bag has). Will coffee still arrive at room temperature even though it is encapsulated in a 'space age' styrofoam cup? Of course it will, it just does it slower than something with no insulation.

PBODY99
08-09-2006, 04:08 AM
In your case I would freeze a quart bottle of water and put it inside your case witht he frames. The combination of the extra thermal mass and the insulation will help your rackets stay cooler. Plus is the ice is melted by the time you get you frames out, you know you need to take other steps. Here in Phila, Pa I have used about 50 oz of ice divided between two qt bottles and I have had no problems in our latest heatwave. I pour Gatorade in the bottles and Im ready to go.:cool:

goober
08-09-2006, 05:54 AM
What other bags besides Wilson offer Thermoguard?

dbnet03
08-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Fischer bags.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=1391

goober
08-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Fischer bags.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=1391
did you read this part ?

"Please note that although Fischer refers to these as Thermo bags they provide no thermal protection."

andysc
08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
for the Wilson 6 pack and 12 pack, do all compartments have thermoguard AND moistureguard? or are they separate (one compartment is thermoguard only while the other compartment is moistureguard only)...because on the bag itself it has thermoguard labeled on one compartment and moistureguard on the other?

Cruzer
08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Do Wilson bags with thermoguard offer enough protection from the heat? Could I leave my racquets in the trunk of my car, in the south Texas heat (100+), for 8 hours while I get out of work? I've heard it can get as hot as 150 degrees inside a car. Would you do it if they were your racquets? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't leave my racquets in a car trunk in 100+ degree heat for 8 hours no matter what claim the bag manufacturer made about thermo protection. I used to bring my tennis bag into my office rather than leave it in the 100+ degree heat of my car trunk.

sinatra161
08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Never leave your racquet in your car in the Summer or Winter!As everyone else has stated this could and eventually will destroy your racquet.No matter what bag you use.

hermano05
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
i didnt know those things... now i changed my mind... i wont leave my racquets anymore inside the car...

pmata814
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I'll just have to put the bag in my office and make sure I lock it so my students can't get to it.:)

emo5
08-09-2006, 05:53 PM
I bought a thermoguard bag...
One day when I woke up I didnt know whether it would rain or not.
Just so I wouldnt let my partner down, I brought my racket and carried it during school. It started raining. I decided to test if thermoguard blcoked water out.
To my amazement, the bag was completely dry on the inside.
It was a Wilson backpack but Im sure they use the same material for their other bags.(the only difference is probably the design)

Roger_federer
08-09-2006, 06:39 PM
for the Wilson 6 pack and 12 pack, do all compartments have thermoguard AND moistureguard? or are they separate (one compartment is thermoguard only while the other compartment is moistureguard only)...because on the bag itself it has thermoguard labeled on one compartment and moistureguard on the other?

I am also questioning this. Can someone tell?

xtremerunnerars
08-09-2006, 06:44 PM
What other bags besides Wilson offer Thermoguard?

The babolat pro team bag 12 pack has two thermal pouches. They're both racquet compartments technically, but i use one if i have food+water. They work pretty well, though they're not perfect.

bagung
08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
i am using both wilson and babolat thermal bags.... after 6 months, i found out the quality of the bags is so much different, babolat still looks ok, while wilson looks like 6 yrs old bag... i never want to come back to wilson again...