PDA

View Full Version : Players in upstate NY

Acraig426
08-10-2006, 11:20 AM
alright I'm desperate for hitting partners... I live in Pittsford, just outside of Rochester in Upstate NY, and I'm about a 3.5 -4.0. Does anyone live near me who would want to hit sometime?

Acraig426
08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
no one?

this makes me sad :(

U-NO-ME
08-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Sorry man.
Maybe if you come to Detroit look me up. ;)

quest01
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
I live about 30 miles north of Syracuse. How far do you live from Syracuse?

Acraig426
08-15-2006, 04:02 AM
I'm about an hour and a half from syracuse

Dedans Penthouse
08-15-2006, 04:41 AM
There are a number of "upstate" posters; particularly near that bastion of gracious living; fashionable and comfortable TROY, NY, the armpit of the Capitol Region. I dunno, but for whatever reason, they (esp. the girls) seem to recoil at the idea of admitting that they live in upstate NY; why that is, I don't know. Too bad no one from "upstate" is taking you up on your offer to hit. When you say "upstate" near what town/area are you talking about? Poughkeepsie, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse or "up north" (Saratoga, Glens Falls)?

Come on 'upstaters' give a shout to the guy already.

MegacedU
08-15-2006, 07:14 AM
There are a number of "upstate" posters; particularly near that bastion of gracious living; fashionable and comfortable TROY, NY, the armpit of the Capitol Region. I dunno, but for whatever reason, they (esp. the girls) seem to recoil at the idea of admitting that they live in upstate NY; why that is, I don't know. Too bad no one from "upstate" is taking you up on your offer to hit. When you say "upstate" near what town/area are you talking about? Poughkeepsie, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse or "up north" (Saratoga, Glens Falls)?

Come on 'upstaters' give a shout to the guy already.
With very few exceptions, Troy typically = poverty. Don't go there after dark unless you're indulging in a slice of good old "I love New York" Pizza. However, if you ask me, the one in Albany is better, closer to home, the good bars, and several lighted tennis courts.

He mentioned Rochester DP, which even for ME is a bit too upstate.

smoothasmecir
08-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Acraig,

I use to run the tennis programs for the town of Pittsford. I would check out the tennis ladder that is run at Perinton Park...lots of players that are in the 3.5-4.0 range and it's a good time.

jhhachamp
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
alright I'm desperate for hitting partners... I live in Pittsford, just outside of Rochester in Upstate NY, and I'm about a 3.5 -4.0. Does anyone live near me who would want to hit sometime?

I will be back in Ithaca Saturday, but am probably about 4.5. If you are willing to drive down there, I will hit with you sometime, but I may be a lot better than you.

Dedans Penthouse
08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Meg, why are you giving me the 411 on Troy? If you only read the poverty-stricken "bastion of gracious living" and "fashionable, comfortable" comment then you've got either adjust your sarcasm detector, or Rabbit may be onto something...what with that "reading comprehension" thing...(smirk)

Did you gloss over "ARMPIT" description of Troy? Selective retention at work here? My sister went to R.P.I.; believe me, I know 'armpit' when I see it. And Troy's an "unshaven" one at that.

Now, for my good deed for the day:
So, you like "good old N.Y." pizza, eh? I'm afraid to admit it myself, but in my not-so-humble opinion, the best pizza is NOT in N.Y.; it's in New Haven, Ct.: Frank Pepe. You know those wooden pizza pallets they use to remove the pizza from the oven? Frank Pepe has them 20 feet long; THAT'S how deep the oven is. The oven looks like the side of the damn building. I implore you: get your friends, do a "road trip" (down the Taconic to "84" east through Danbury to New Haven). Once there, you MUST get their famous WHITE CLAM pizza (suggested topping: bacon). Believe me, it's beyond good, it's 'expletive deleted' outrageous. Grab a bunch to take home but if you do, keep the box open, that is, the "enclosed heat" will act like a steamer and the pie will "run" all over the place and the crust won't be the snappy same). By opening the box, you'll let it "set" and once it cools you can then close it for the journey home. Then, when you get home, "blast it" (warm it) quickly in a very hot (500 F) preheated oven.

One other thing: what you and I would consider "plain pizza" (w/mozzarella) they do not. To them "plain" is simply with red sauce, a little parmesian cheese flavored with olive oil and oregano. You would want to order a "mozzarella" pie as well. If you're going to make a "day trip down south" out of it, a great place to "pizza picnic" with your friends would be West Rock Ridge State Park in N.H. (a 650 foot "rock" overlooking Yale, L.I. Sound). Long story shot: as crazy as it may sound, Frank Pepe's (esp. the 'white clam' pizza--again recommend the decadent bacon topping and the "mozzarella" pizza) is worth the 2 1/2 hr. trip....and 2 1/2 hrs.....well, if you really like pizza. Other places worth checking out would be Abate (next door) and Sally's.

Option "B" would be to ignore this post. But you will have missed out on......well, put it this way: your taste buds will never forgive you.....white clam pizza with garlic and bacon......sounds sick? It IS that good. If my friends and I once drove on a Friday night to Montreal for Saturday morning breakfast on a whim, you can do your tummy a favor and "road trip" it for the real deal when it comes to "not-so-N.Y." pizza. (crust is slightly thicker than N.Y.; but still thin).

Now Megster, your 'good deed for the day' would be to give your "upstate" friend the low-down on "where to go" for good pizza ("ah-beetz") in the Capitol neck of the woods.

Supernatural_Serve
08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I will be back in Ithaca Saturday, but am probably about 4.5. If you are willing to drive down there, I will hit with you sometime, but I may be a lot better than you.LOL. I used to hit on the courts on West Campus below Libe slope in front of Sperry Hall dormitory.

MegacedU
08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Meg, why are you giving me the 411 on Troy? If you only read the poverty-stricken "bastion of gracious living" and "fashionable, comfortable" comment then you've got either adjust your sarcasm detector, or Rabbit may be onto something...what with that "reading comprehension" thing...(smirk).
Believe me, I would never have gotten this far without reading comprehension. Never been much of a sea-food fan, but mozzerlla is my weakness so i appreciate the suggestion. I Love New York pizza is actually the name of the restaurant. It's fantastic, especially when it's three in the morning and you're in rare form. And also especially if they throw some buffalo chicken on top.

Kaptain Karl
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I live about 30 miles north of Syracuse. How far do you live from Syracuse?Now *that's* livin' in the "Snow Belt!"

What did NiMo ever do with that HUGE nuke plant they built / never started-up, near Oswego? (I bet some folks are thinking about the bene's of cheap energy again....)

- KK

Rabbit
08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey, I've been to Albany a couple of times. The that I stayed in basically sucked, but the town wasn't too bad.

SydneyJim
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
oh i was goin to recommend some pro players that live up there, but i don't think they'll hit wiht a 4.0

jhhachamp
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
LOL. I used to hit on the courts on West Campus below Libe slope in front of Sperry Hall dormitory.

I have no idea when you used to play there, but I can tell you for sure that those courts have not been around for at least 3 years. When I came there 3 years ago, it was a parking lot, and I parked in it my sophmore year. They tore it down last year along with Sperry and some other dorms...not sure exactly what they are doing there.

Supernatural_Serve
08-16-2006, 02:55 AM
I have no idea when you used to play there, but I can tell you for sure that those courts have not been around for at least 3 years. When I came there 3 years ago, it was a parking lot, and I parked in it my sophmore year. They tore it down last year along with Sperry and some other dorms...not sure exactly what they are doing there.1981-1985, I lived in Sperry Hall as a freshman engineering student. So, the courts were 50 yards away from my room which was a bonus since at that time there were very few courts on campus, and it seems like very few things were conveniently located on that beautiful campus, but I heard they built a new tennis facility way to the east/north of campus (beyond the Ag school?).

I haven't been to Ithaca since 1994.

jhhachamp
08-16-2006, 07:02 PM
1981-1985, I lived in Sperry Hall as a freshman engineering student. So, the courts were 50 yards away from my room which was a bonus since at that time there were very few courts on campus, and it seems like very few things were conveniently located on that beautiful campus, but I heard they built a new tennis facility way to the east/north of campus (beyond the Ag school?).

I haven't been to Ithaca since 1994.

Yeah, now they have about 10 courts on North Campus and none on West or Central. They do have some har tru courts down a hill in the woods across from where the parking garage is, but you have to a member or something for those, and I don't think they let students be members. Me and a friend have gotten on those a couple times though.

The varsity and club play at the indoor club up by East Hill Plaza called Reis Tennis Center...I'm not sure if that was built recently, but it is pretty nice. 6 indoor and 6 outdoor courts. I am on the club team and can play there for only $18 an hour indoor or free outdoor as long as they aren't booked. Often those courts will be used by varsity and the courts on campus full, so I drive out to these remote courts in the middle of a swamp 5 miles from campus. No one knows about them and I have never seen anyone else play there, but if you hit the ball over the one side it is gone forever!

quest01
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm about an hour and a half from syracuse

Well do you want to drive to Syracuse and hit?

Acraig426
08-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Well do you want to drive to Syracuse and hit?

thanks for the offer, but that's a little too far of a drive for me

Stuart
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi im looking for some new people to play tennis against that lives in the upstate ny area. If interested please respond.

If you are looking for player contacts, and don't have plans for next weekend, why not sign up for the Cape Vincent (30+ miles upstate of you) Annual Tennis Tournament.

Acraig426
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm just looking for guys to hit around with, currently I can't serve or play competitively because of a shoulder injury, but thanks for the info

WFrame9109
01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Find anyone to play with? I could possibly hit every so often, although work + school + teaching fiance tennis would make more than once every week or two tough.

rommil
01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Meg, why are you giving me the 411 on Troy? If you only read the poverty-stricken "bastion of gracious living" and "fashionable, comfortable" comment then you've got either adjust your sarcasm detector, or Rabbit may be onto something...what with that "reading comprehension" thing...(smirk)

Did you gloss over "ARMPIT" description of Troy? Selective retention at work here? My sister went to R.P.I.; believe me, I know 'armpit' when I see it. And Troy's an "unshaven" one at that.

Now, for my good deed for the day:
So, you like "good old N.Y." pizza, eh? I'm afraid to admit it myself, but in my not-so-humble opinion, the best pizza is NOT in N.Y.; it's in New Haven, Ct.: Frank Pepe. You know those wooden pizza pallets they use to remove the pizza from the oven? Frank Pepe has them 20 feet long; THAT'S how deep the oven is. The oven looks like the side of the damn building. I implore you: get your friends, do a "road trip" (down the Taconic to "84" east through Danbury to New Haven). Once there, you MUST get their famous WHITE CLAM pizza (suggested topping: bacon). Believe me, it's beyond good, it's 'expletive deleted' outrageous. Grab a bunch to take home but if you do, keep the box open, that is, the "enclosed heat" will act like a steamer and the pie will "run" all over the place and the crust won't be the snappy same). By opening the box, you'll let it "set" and once it cools you can then close it for the journey home. Then, when you get home, "blast it" (warm it) quickly in a very hot (500 F) preheated oven.

One other thing: what you and I would consider "plain pizza" (w/mozzarella) they do not. To them "plain" is simply with red sauce, a little parmesian cheese flavored with olive oil and oregano. You would want to order a "mozzarella" pie as well. If you're going to make a "day trip down south" out of it, a great place to "pizza picnic" with your friends would be West Rock Ridge State Park in N.H. (a 650 foot "rock" overlooking Yale, L.I. Sound). Long story shot: as crazy as it may sound, Frank Pepe's (esp. the 'white clam' pizza--again recommend the decadent bacon topping and the "mozzarella" pizza) is worth the 2 1/2 hr. trip....and 2 1/2 hrs.....well, if you really like pizza. Other places worth checking out would be Abate (next door) and Sally's.

Option "B" would be to ignore this post. But you will have missed out on......well, put it this way: your taste buds will never forgive you.....white clam pizza with garlic and bacon......sounds sick? It IS that good. If my friends and I once drove on a Friday night to Montreal for Saturday morning breakfast on a whim, you can do your tummy a favor and "road trip" it for the real deal when it comes to "not-so-N.Y." pizza. (crust is slightly thicker than N.Y.; but still thin).

Now Megster, your 'good deed for the day' would be to give your "upstate" friend the low-down on "where to go" for good pizza ("ah-beetz") in the Capitol neck of the woods.
I can skip regular pizza even if it's staring in my face but Pepe's is just awesome I can't say no. Been there a couple of times. Also my brother used to work in the Elm city so it's safe to say he took down our orders a couple of times lol. What can I say? They just make the best.