PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

NCcanes
08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
why dont tennis players use a glove when playing? most sports that have the player holding an object such as baseball, golf, racquetball, etc., the player wears a glove. so y not in tennis?

naturalgut
08-10-2006, 11:59 PM
A Glove diminishes the feel of the racquet

snoflewis
08-11-2006, 12:22 AM
i need to use a glove now due to blisters. however, i tried biking gloves before, and the overgrip just ripped a hole through it...there's definitely a loss of feel, but not getting blisters is worth it imo

naturalgut
08-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Actually, despite compromising on feel, I have used gloves in the past. I developed quite a few blood blisters from leather grips, and it became uncomfortable to hit. Much to my surprise, when I wore a leather glove over my blistered hand and hit for fifteen minutes, the blood had completely drained away from the blisters!

NCcanes
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
u would think that at least some ppl would use gloves (just as some batters dont use batting gloves...), and not just to cover up blisters. but i have seen NO tennis players (pro or not) wearing gloves. and ive only heard of a couple using them.

this just really irks me. racquetball players use gloves so... well i dunno. ive never tried tennis with a glove yet, so maybe ill give it a try. i really dont know how much feel a glove could take away from your racquet (not a thick leather glove, just a golf or racquetball glove)

Nuke
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I've played one guy in my league who wears a football (American) receiver's glove. Makes sense, as those gloves are made to be tacky to hold onto the ball. When I lived up north, I tried a golf glove in cold weather, but that didn't work for me.

d_frank
08-11-2006, 09:11 PM
before my sophomore season in highschool, i developed blisters during practice (from not playing all winter). I got a golf glove and wore it during practice until my blister was gone.

TokyopunK
09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
It is also illegal to wear a glove on your playing hand in high school matches.

theace21
09-08-2006, 04:19 PM
It is also illegal to wear a glove on your playing hand in high school matches.
Why would it be illegal? Most high schools follow the USTA regulations...

tennisboy87
09-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I've seen a few people wear a glove, but overall hardly anyone wears one.

West Coast Ace
09-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I used to wear one for practice when I'd be hitting a lot of balls. But got sick of it - as naturalgut says you lose feel and volleying is a joke. Just taught myself to grip the handle as light as possible and problem solved!

TokyopunK
09-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Why would it be illegal? Most high schools follow the USTA regulations...

USTA Regulations - No glove on playing hand.

Zets147
09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
USTA Regulations - No glove on playing hand.
You sure about this rule?

RM05
09-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Can you tell us the specific rule number stating that? Thanks.

I found a tennis glove that goes by the name of advantage, but its looks just like a golfer's glove. I'm getting bad blisters from using babolat leather grip wrapped with tounra. I might want to try some gloves.