PDA

View Full Version : Tourna grip wears in 10mins

brucie
08-11-2006, 02:28 AM
They seem ok but wear out in 30mins signs of wear start on virtually the 1st shot. Its a joke. Think i have a bad batch right.

So what can I do???

naturalgut
08-11-2006, 06:11 AM
I find that Tourna grips are durable enough for five to eight sets of play. There is some fraying after a few games, but I haven't really noticed much difference in the way it plays. They generally last shorter if you're playing with taped fingers (for blisters) because the tape really shears off the outer layers of the grip.

Caswell
08-11-2006, 06:34 AM
I think it depends on how much you sweat. I love the feel of Tournagrip, but I sweat a good bit and they wear out much more quickly than the Wilson Pro overgrips I eventually switched to.

My doubles partner who still uses Tournagrip replaces them after every match. I usually replace a Wilson Pro when I restring (two or three matches).

Damn shame too, because the feel of a new Tournagrip can't be beat.

will1087
08-11-2006, 06:42 AM
They seem ok but wear out in 30mins signs of wear start on virtually the 1st shot. Its a joke. Think i have a bad batch right.

So what can I do???

In about 30 min, i start wearing holes in my tournagrip. By the end of the match, it feels like cloth. :cool:

Jonnyf
08-11-2006, 08:20 AM

So what can I do???

Nope normal, what can you do, NOTHING

snoflewis
08-11-2006, 10:46 AM

So what can I do???

i have to switch after every time i play....wilson pro does last longer...but im more prone to have blisters w/ it, so i don't really have a choice.

emo5
08-12-2006, 06:11 AM
You've got two options my friend:
1. Buy a new one each time and get a job to pay for how much Tourna Grip you use.

2. Switch to another longer lasting grip and save yourself from hard labour for that damn overgrip.

Amone
08-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Am I the only one who prefers worn tournagrips? It seems like its going to give me blisters fresh, but I'm hard pressed to think of a more comfortable grip once it's worn-- I just never seem to be able to deal with the harshness of it until that point, so I only get to feel it on other folks' racquets.

snoflewis
08-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one who prefers worn tournagrips? It seems like its going to give me blisters fresh, but I'm hard pressed to think of a more comfortable grip once it's worn-- I just never seem to be able to deal with the harshness of it until that point, so I only get to feel it on other folks' racquets.

i feel that the worn ones are too slippery

chiru
08-12-2006, 12:16 PM

i was actually about to say the same thing. by far the best grip once worn, but it doesn't give me blisters fresh though.

vkartikv
08-12-2006, 01:11 PM
When tournagrip was introduced, it was like landing on the moon because it was all gauze tape until then. Now you have so many better options, I don't see why people still prefer tournagrip. Even the XL version doesn't fit my rather short handle PS 85. Take my word, try the ProKennex superwrap. I am currently using the blue overgrip and am into my third week with it.

acetennisman
08-12-2006, 07:07 PM
OK. Wrap the tournagrip with more overlap. Dont grip the racquet handle so tightly. It takes me a long time to go through touragrip and im very hard on all my tennis equipment. O yea wristband and towel

NadalFan1990
08-13-2006, 09:28 AM

So what can I do???

I would get the tournagrip XL, I don't think it wears out as quickly....

Catalyst
08-14-2006, 10:55 PM

So what can I do???

I'm just wondering if you're putting the grip on the right way. It's hard to tell from the directions.

The side with the plastic cover on it goes on the outside where your fingers are, and the bare side goes on the inside.

If you put them on inside-out, they wear differently, and are not has tacky feeling. Actaully, they suck if you put them on backwards.

AJK1
08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Change to Babolat Pro Team, it's much, much better.

brucie
08-16-2006, 01:36 PM
YEAH LOOKS LIKE ILL LIVE WITH IT FOR THE TIME BEING.
ive got 30 to use!!!

Jonnyf
08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
YEAH LOOKS LIKE ILL LIVE WITH IT FOR THE TIME BEING.
ive got 30 to use!!!

Why did u buy 30 if uve never used it before.??? send us up some then mate

Ten.Is
08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
I use the Head overgrips with my racquet. They do a pretty decent job in grip and durability.

ChipNCharge
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I've used the light blue TournaGrip for many years. One grip usually lasts me several matches before I need to replace it. However, I tried the gray colored TournaGrip one time and it literally lasted about 5 minutes before it was torn to shreds.

tennis_nerd22
08-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Unique sucks. end of story.

whomprat
08-16-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm just wondering if you're putting the grip on the right way. It's hard to tell from the directions.

The side with the plastic cover on it goes on the outside where your fingers are, and the bare side goes on the inside.

If you put them on inside-out, they wear differently, and are not has tacky feeling. Actaully, they suck if you put them on backwards.
I actually prefer tournagrip inside out (plastic covered side in). I've been using it since I was a kid and it seems to wear out slower, and doesn't get as slick that way. I really prefer the feel of the yonex grap, but I've used it for a couple of months and I've got a big nasty callous on my hand that's making people not want to shake my hand. :) I'm giving Tourn another try now.

Nickswh
08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
I think the High Tack Tourna Grip is horrible, it feels good right when you hold after you grip it, but literally when you hit a ball it rips apart. The original is good though. I use Tourna Grip Original in the summer and then when September comes around I use Wilson Pro Overgrips

Faber
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm not too fond of Tourna Grip because of it's durability. Plus my hands don't sweat much and I doesn't work to its full potential. I'm sticking with Wilson Pro Grip from now on.

jonolau
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM

So what can I do???
Hi Bruce. It depends. When my grip gets wet during play, it will shred much faster. But on average, I can get about 3-5 sessions of play per grip.

This is the trade-off for the unsurpassed feel of Tourna Grip.

brucie
08-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey JonnF i bought 30 as i had 6 before and used the head ones to they lasted like almost 10hrs. This reel lasts 30mins. BAD BATCH iM SURE

brucie
08-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I think the High Tack Tourna Grip is horrible, it feels good right when you hold after you grip it, but literally when you hit a ball it rips apart. The original is good though. I use Tourna Grip Original in the summer and then when September comes around I use Wilson Pro Overgrips
thats what i do too

xtremerunnerars
08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't understand it...i swear i saw at least 6-7 pros yesterday using tournagrip, but they never changed racquets. I mean, i was AT the matches, but they didn't change. Maybe the wristbands? It just makes no sense...if it wears for average people in 10 minutes, wouldn't it wear out before the pros hit a ball?

Richie Rich
08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
This is the trade-off for the unsurpassed feel of Tourna Grip.
in all honesty, i've only used tournagrip twice since the 80's (when it was pretty much all you could get that was decent). feel is relative and i prefer the wilson pro, yonex supergrap, and tecnifibre pro overgrips to tournagrip any day. i guess you really have to sweat a lot to appreciate tournagrip - then again if i was in Singapore i'd probably sweat more too.

jonolau
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
in all honesty, i've only used tournagrip twice since the 80's (when it was pretty much all you could get that was decent). feel is relative and i prefer the wilson pro, yonex supergrap, and tecnifibre pro overgrips to tournagrip any day. i guess you really have to sweat a lot to appreciate tournagrip - then again if i was in Singapore i'd probably sweat more too.
Ha ha, I sweat like a pig on a spit here. When I'm done with my game, I always look as if I'd just emerged from the swimming pool. Even my socks and shoes are soaked. Yes, it's a grotesque thought, but it's a reality here.

I've tried so many other overgrips, and as soon as some perspiration gets onto it, it becomes slick and slippery. Nothing beats Tourna Grip after all the experimentation with Babolat, Wilson, Prince, Gamma and Toalson.

Ano
08-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I've used the light blue TournaGrip for many years. One grip usually lasts me several matches before I need to replace it. However, I tried the gray colored TournaGrip one time and it literally lasted about 5 minutes before it was torn to shreds.

Hey, I experienced exactly the same thing. In 2003 I bought grey Tourna Grip and it was started to wear out when I put it on. After 10 minutes it was totally torn to shreds.

But I have never experienced the same thing with the blue one. The blue Tourna Grip (standard length or XL) last me about 5-7 sets.

brucie
08-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Takes the mick, I dont normally wear grips or sweat too much just like dry grips. I would send them back but dont know how to i got them in an auction.

Richie Rich
08-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Unique sucks. end of story.
another insightful post from our teenage canuck pal. running out of things to do in Ottawa?

patrick922
08-25-2006, 08:37 PM
i know tourna grip is so cheap. it is so overrated ''the original blue grip". original blue grip my *****. after the first hit you need to change it. thats why i use yonex supergrap or wilson pro overgrip,,,,,otherwise i ll spend the changeovers rewrapping a new grip on.:mad:

Nblade
08-27-2006, 07:49 AM
unlucky mate