PDA

View Full Version : What you don't want to hear from your stringer....

OrangeOne
08-11-2006, 06:58 PM
So I go to pickup my racquet last night. I like my stringer, have been going to him for 15 years, and he's a great guy. Used to coach me as a young kid, he's an MRT and is on the Australian Open stringing team, works at other tourney's too. He does a great job, has good advice, etc...

Anyways - I walk in, and he tells me that he has some bad news, and that he couldn't string my racquet!. Hands me my MP-Tour 1, and points to the crack at the very top of the hoop! At the point I was stunned, I mean I knew I'd broken a string there, a poly at that...but the frame? Sure enough - a solid crack that's visible from both sides of the frame. I'm standing there, staring, dumb-founded, wondering if the string-break had released pressure on the frame an allowed a crack to appear? Wondering if I'd just not noticed? Wondering what the hell I was going to play with this morning....

And then my eyes (finally) leave the crack and look around the frame. I quickly realised.... it wasn't my frame! (was quite scraped and banged up, mine isn't) :mrgreen: . I mean, it was an MP Tour-1 98, but it wasn't MINE. I hadn't dropped the frame to him, his wife had picked it up from the courts, and he'd assumed that frame was my one. As soon as he realised, he looked in the "to be strung" rack, and sure enough, there's my frame! Phew. (Oh - and it was obvious that he hadn't done it just to wind me up as my frame wasn't strung).

Talk about feeling relieved!

xtremerunnerars
08-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh wow, good news! I was expecting this to be about him breaking a frame, but you listed his credentials and i knew it would be otherwise.

HyperHorse
08-11-2006, 09:27 PM
next time perhaps apply a small adhesive label to the shoulder with your name on it?

max
08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Here's what you don't want to hear from your stringer, "your sister sags like wet gut."

MTChong
08-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Here's what you don't want to hear from your stringer, "your sister sags like wet gut."

Oh boy, I know I'd not want to hear that from my stringer; I string for myself.

And even so, I still wouldn't. I don't have a sister thus leaving a possibility of... my brother? :confused:

OrangeOne
08-12-2006, 07:12 PM
next time perhaps apply a small adhesive label to the shoulder with your name on it?

Yeah, that was my first thought too :). Good advice...