PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Make Your Own Balancing Board

bleno567
08-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I have read several posts that have talked about making your own balancing board. I am cheap and impatient, so i would like to know the exact balance of my racquets without spending 30 bucks on a balancing board, and waiting a few days for it. I have read that it is realitively easy to do using a yard stick and dowel. Im not sure how to actually measure balance using these. They would tell me which side is heavier but not by how much.

JLBAYERR
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Yardstick, Tinker Toys, Marble Works peices, Samurai swords. (Maybe not the last one)

ashpookie
08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Pencil (round one) and measuring tape.

pchoi04
08-12-2006, 01:36 AM
For all the time and hassle i would just buy a balance beam.

diredesire
08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
If you've got a rolling pin, you're set. The main reason why it's "hard" to build a DIY balancing board is that it's hard to keep the bar stationary, which is how you'd REALLY measure the relative "balance" to the half way point in a racquet.

Here's how you should go about doing it without building a full balance beam:

Take your racquet length, and divide it in half (for instance, a 27" racquet = 13.5", 27.5 = 13.75, 28 = 14, etc)

Mark the halfway point on your racquet with a pencil, or other removable substance (a piece of tape would work well).

Balance the racquet on your chosen "balance beam." I find a rolling pin works well, provided it is wide enough, and has a nice diameter. If there is an edge, you can find the balance point more easily.

After you find the balance point, mark the racquet again, with a pencil or more tape.

After you have marked the racquet, you can measure the difference. Each 1/8th of an inch is 1 "point." If the mark is closer to the handle, the racquet is head light, if it is closer to the head, it is head heavy.

Cheers, good luck

bleno567
08-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks alot diredesire that helped alot

paulfreda
08-13-2006, 01:55 AM
I thought it was 1 point for each 10th of an inch.
But I have no reference to cite.

Also, I can get a good measurement with the edge of a table.
Just keep sliding until it is about to fall off; then mark the spot.
Measure from the butt and subtract from 13.5 (for 27 inch frame).

Cheers

joe sch
08-13-2006, 06:48 AM
I thought it was 1 point for each 10th of an inch.
But I have no reference to cite.

Also, I can get a good measurement with the edge of a table.
Just keep sliding until it is about to fall off; then mark the spot.
Measure from the butt and subtract from 13.5 (for 27 inch frame).

Cheers
Inches are in 1/8 divisions, just like for the grip sizes.
Metric mesurements would be in 1/10 divisions

PS: You can use your finger for a balancing tool for a really cheap and easy check :)

AJK1
08-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I use one of the extension poles off my vacuum cleaner. Works fine.

tlm
08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Diredesire,you are exactly right.It is that simple,i think is is unwise to pay for something that simple.

I do exactly like you said, put a thin piece of masking tape at the center,then i use a piece of 1 inch plastic pipe.Balance the racquet+measure how far off center it is.