PDA

View Full Version : pro staff users, question!

andyroddick's mojo
08-11-2006, 07:40 PM
for all those owners of a wilson prostaff, whether it be an original or ncode, is it true that the sweetspot is actually lower then the center of the string bed? i don't quite understand if this is good or bad. on my backhand, i always tend to hit the ball on the upper portion of my strings but then get now power. so i try to hit closer to my shock absorber, which is on the other end, and now i get some sweetspot and a better feeling shot. i'm just asking this because thats what it says under the wilson technology page. does anyone else feel like this messes up their game?

emcee
08-11-2006, 07:48 PM
That's what they say, but it seems pretty normal (in the middle) to me.

snoflewis
08-11-2006, 10:05 PM
That's what they say, but it seems pretty normal (in the middle) to me.

same here...i thought all the prostaffs i've tried were around the middle. so far, i've tried the 6.0 85 (both china and st. vincent), 6.1 classic, tour 95, n6.1 95 (both string patterns), and n6.1 tour 90...and all felt around the middle for me.

qwerty66
08-11-2006, 10:09 PM
i have a wilson ceramic 85 and it's the same mold at prostaff 85 and the SS is near the middle and not lower down the head

Freedom
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
PS Tour 95 here. I think it's more towards the upper hoop than the lower, if anything.

snoflewis
08-11-2006, 10:37 PM
PS Tour 95 here. I think it's more towards the upper hoop than the lower, if anything.

that's pretty interesting. do you have any lead on that stick? because many people here including myself found it incredibly unstable w/o lead...

pchoi04
08-12-2006, 01:39 AM
I dont know if a hyper pro staff counts in this but I have a HPS 5.0 and It seems in the center to me.

hedonist
08-12-2006, 02:08 AM

The PS Tour 95 is not a "typical" PS, because it is lighter and less headlight.

LordRaceR
08-12-2006, 07:00 AM
It's seems in the middle to me on PS Tour 90, maybe just a little bit down, but just a little bit.

Kagawa
08-12-2006, 08:20 AM
I have experienced the same thing on my strokes. I play a 1hbh and have noticed that i also make contact higher in the stringbed on my backhand then the forhand. Having said that my backhand is the more techinically sound stroke of the two. Anyways depending on how severe the difference is between your forhand and backhand contact points are you maybe able to get the sweetspot on your PS higher by simply rebalancing your frame to be less headlight. If your condition is very severe, and rebalancing the frame for your BH brings the sweetspot too high for your FH, you will need to find a frame that offers a longer sweetspot, string with less tension, or adjust your stroke. In case you do consider a new frame you should look for one that is stiffer and not bigger. Larger frames usually make the sweetspot wider, while stiffer frames make the sweetspot longer, in my experience. Personally I play a HPS 5.0 MP stretch balanced 10pts headlight at 13.3 oz.

~K

milo
08-12-2006, 08:27 AM
i feel both of my racket (n6.1 tour and ps tour 90) (asian version) seems to have sweetspot in the middle and i usually break strings on the center. but on the ps tour 90 it is a little low just like lordracer said.

chiru
08-12-2006, 08:33 AM
id say middle, but dead middle for the ps85. then again, i put 2 layers of tape at 3 and 9 (ones 6.5" the others 6") on all my 2 pro staffs, the ps 85 and the ncode 90. ive used the hps 6.1 for a while as well, leadless, and id still say it was pretty much middle.

andyroddick's mojo
08-12-2006, 11:27 AM
well since i feel like mine is lower then the center, what should i do? i could just try and keep aiming a little lower for the sweetspot, or i could add some lead to my 12 oz racket, but i don't want to make it any heavier since i already have some difficulty moving around at net.

snoflewis
08-12-2006, 01:43 PM
well since i feel like mine is lower then the center, what should i do? i could just try and keep aiming a little lower for the sweetspot, or i could add some lead to my 12 oz racket, but i don't want to make it any heavier since i already have some difficulty moving around at net.

try adding about 4" of lead at 10 and 2 and counterbalance it at the handle. if you add more in the handle than you did at the head, it should help make the racket feel more maneuverable, especially at net.