PDA

View Full Version : C10 Pro--too much frame for me?

Philip J
08-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I've taken a break from tennis for about a year, and I am trying to start playing again. I used to read this forum all the time and used the advice on here to select my current racquet (Volkl C10 Pro). I'd like to start playing several times a week like I was previously, so I thought I would rethink my racquet choice.

I like my current racquet, but I wonder if it's too much for me. I'm probably about a 3.0-3.5, maybe less with the layoff. I have one primary tennis partner, and although we do not play at a very high level, he has a very hard serve and hard groundstrokes. I probably should have started with a more forgiving frame, but the C10 provided me with a little heft that I liked when returning his serve. I wonder though if I should consider a different frame because I'm pretty tired of swinging it at the end of our playing time (2-3 sets). The frame is pretty used, so I should either purchase another C10 or consider a different frame. Any suggestions?

I'm 21 years old, 6 foot 1, and 155 pounds. Thanks for your consideration.

newnuse
08-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Are you using the C10 Midsize or MidPlus?

As for getting tired, that's normal since you are not in good tennis shape yet. You are only 21 so I imagine you will be able to get in shape very quickly. The weight of the racket should not be an issue for you when you do get in shape.

Philip J
08-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm using a Midplus. I bought the racquet used about a year and half ago, and I think it's seen enough wear that I should replace it. I guess my question is, should I buy another C10 or look at other racquets? Thanks.

newnuse
08-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure you can still buy a C10. If you want to buy a new racket, best to buy a racket that is still in production. Much easier to find.

Best to demo or try other people's rackets before buying. Something 11-12 oz, 95-100" headsize should work well for you.

Good luck.

kv581
08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure you can still buy a C10. If you want to buy a new racket, best to buy a racket that is still in production. Much easier to find.

Best to demo or try other people's rackets before buying. Something 11-12 oz, 95-100" headsize should work well for you.

Good luck.
Here, C10 Pro http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-C10PRO.html

juani
08-12-2006, 02:41 PM
No worries. You're gonna get in shape quickly. If you want you can do a little weight lifting (light weight, as many repetitions you can do) , that's going to help you for not getting tired.

newnuse
08-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Here, C10 Pro http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-C10PRO.html

I guess you still can buy it :)

The frame is 1.5 years old.... that isn't very old. You took the last year off. The racket has some life left in it.

Anyways if you are just looking to buy another racket, I would stick to something in the same class.

PBODY99
08-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Your frame should be fine as far as wear goes if you haven'tabused it. Get in shape and pick up a back-up. Good Luck.:cool:

DANMAN
08-12-2006, 03:32 PM
I've taken a break from tennis for about a year, and I am trying to start playing again. I used to read this forum all the time and used the advice on here to select my current racquet (Volkl C10 Pro). I'd like to start playing several times a week like I was previously, so I thought I would rethink my racquet choice.

I like my current racquet, but I wonder if it's too much for me. I'm probably about a 3.0-3.5, maybe less with the layoff. I have one primary tennis partner, and although we do not play at a very high level, he has a very hard serve and hard groundstrokes. I probably should have started with a more forgiving frame, but the C10 provided me with a little heft that I liked when returning his serve. I wonder though if I should consider a different frame because I'm pretty tired of swinging it at the end of our playing time (2-3 sets). The frame is pretty used, so I should either purchase another C10 or consider a different frame. Any suggestions?

I'm 21 years old, 6 foot 1, and 155 pounds. Thanks for your consideration.

The C10 pro, if you are a 3.0-3.5 or even lower as you stated, is probably too much stick for you. It may work well for you within level and if you are comfortable with it stick with it, but I would recommend something along the lines of a tweener until you get moving up the ladder. Sounds like you may like a DNX 9 if you like a lighter racket with a lower swingweight that still has some mass to it. There are many rackets out there that would seem to suit you, and without more knowledge of your game, this is the only advice I can give. Good luck.

hoosierbr
08-12-2006, 03:32 PM
The C10 Pro is still in production, at least for another year. It's a great frame, does everything well and has a huge sweetspot. Yes, it's on the heavy side but I don't think it ridiculously heavy. You're young so the extra heft shouldn't hinder you.

If you want to try something lighter there's the new line of DNX frames as well as the Tour 10 Gen II which is close to the C10 but in a slightly lighter package.

There's a lot of frames in the 11 - 12 oz catgeory for you to try. Plug in some specs to the Racquet Finder and see what you can come up with.

If you like the C10 as you say you do I'd stick with it, as you can't do a whole lot better if you can adjust to the weight by getting in some off court work.

NoBadMojo
08-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Welcome back. You might wish to start by getting a fresh stringjob. If you are just going to play tennis a bit and not take it too seriously, the c10 should work for you as it is easy on your body if you can reasonably handle the swingweight. If you seriously wish to get better and plan to play a lot of tennis I would recommend going with something a bit more suited to your skillset. The c10Pro would be a frame best suited for 4.5 players and up.

skraggle
08-12-2006, 05:23 PM
IMHO, you should only use the C10 Pro if you hit through the ball and have a decent amount of confidence in your strokes. If you have a shorter swing or have difficulty generating power, then it will eat you up, both in terms of energy and confidence. But if you're a strong ball striker, it's a really rewarding frame. Even though I play another frame better, I can't imagine parting with my collection of C10s.

Philip J
08-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate everyone's advice.

I do plan to play a good bit of tennis, so I would be interested in finding a racquet that would allow me to improve more easily but would also be something I could stick with for awhile.

For curiosity's sake, what other racquets would you all recomend for someone of my level? I like Volkl racquets, but I would be willing to try other companies as well.

newnuse
08-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Still in production... that's surprising. The local shops have not carried the C10 for quite awhile.

jonolau
08-13-2006, 02:29 AM

Good luck.
The C10 Pro is still in production and is still available from TW:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-C10PRO.html