PDA

View Full Version : PS Original 95, why not as popular?

Duzza
08-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd think that with todays standards more people would use the 95. Is there big difference apart from headsize and weight?

c_zimma
08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I often think the same thing. I know I'd rather use the 95.

Say Chi Sin Lo
08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
people always want the smaller/thinner version of a racquet, part of an ego and image thing. Majority of the people actually do better with a smaller/thinner version, while some suffer but continues on with it

naturalgut
08-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Fewer of the 'great' tennis players used the Ps 6.0 95. As good as it is, it doesn't have the same mystique as the Ps 6.0 85.

VGP
08-12-2006, 07:46 PM
It wasn't popular with me.

I was using the Taiwanese version of the PS 85 and one of they guys I used to play with started using the PS 95.

I had a hit with it and I thought it was crap. Lighter, more flexible upper hoop. Not the same racket, just bigger sort of thing.

Not an ego thing with me.....I'm not opposed to using a 95. More of a control and feel thing. Now I'm using the Dunlop HM200g.

Duzza
08-12-2006, 07:50 PM
It wasn't popular with me.

I was using the Taiwanese version of the PS 85 and one of they guys I used to play with started using the PS 95.

I had a hit with it and I thought it was crap. Lighter, more flexible upper hoop. Not the same racket, just bigger sort of thing.

Not an ego thing with me.....I'm not opposed to using a 95. More of a control and feel thing. Now I'm using the Dunlop HM200g.
Sorry I didn't realise it had a thicker beam. I guess all factors - Top players used 85, ego. Also VGP are you actually NRTP 1.5??

Dopke
08-13-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm using the Wilson ROK and I have a PS original 95 waiting for me to try out but the strings are over a year old. I found out my cousin had PS 95s when someone gave them to him haha. I asked to borrow, just gotta wait to get them strung.

I want to find out what the big deal with the PS originals is :)

AJK1
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I guarantee you, that if Sampras used the 95, everyone here would too, and would be singing it's praises, and the 85 would be where the 95 is now, oblivion. We are all trying to mirror our heroes i suppose. What's good for them, must be good for us.

snoflewis
08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm using the Wilson ROK and I have a PS original 95 waiting for me to try out but the strings are over a year old. I found out my cousin had PS 95s when someone gave them to him haha. I asked to borrow, just gotta wait to get them strung.

I want to find out what the big deal with the PS originals is :)

in terms of specs, the 95 seems to be a bit different than the 85, and i imagine they would feel different too. the 85 imo, was a great stick but a bit too small for my tastes.

Regulator
08-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I ordered a PS 95 from TW and am quite happy with it, in fact I am planning on ordering about 5 or so more. I have played with it about 10 times in the last two weeks. I came from using a the Head TI Radical Midplus and the Radical FXP Midsize. In the past I have used the PS 6.1 Classic, and then the Wilson Hammer 6.0. I prefer the PS 95 over alot of other frames that I have demo'd. It just feels more natural on ball contact and I find it very easy to control from the baseline and at the net. I had to string the Hammer 6.0 really tight as I had a tendency to overhit with that racket. Anyhow, one day I will give the 85 a try too.

vkartikv
08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
it's not crap. It depends on your style of play. I put hardly any topspin on the ball, so the 85 suits me better. but once you have played with the 85, its very hard to go to any other frame without being disappointed. its like having climbed mt. everest and trying to find a similar experience.

BreakPoint
08-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I guarantee you, that if Sampras used the 95, everyone here would too, and would be singing it's praises, and the 85 would be where the 95 is now, oblivion. We are all trying to mirror our heroes i suppose. What's good for them, must be good for us.

Uh...I don't think so. The 95 is a different racquet from the 85. I doubt Sampras would have won any Grand Slams with the 95. And this is coming from someone who's probably the biggest advocate of the 95 on these boards and who also prefers the 95 over the 85. People like the 85 for a lot of good reasons, not just because Sampras used it.

bluegrasser
08-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Uh...I don't think so. The 95 is a different racquet from the 85. I doubt Sampras would have won any Grand Slams with the 95. And this is coming from someone who's probably the biggest advocate of the 95 on these boards and who also prefers the 95 over the 85. People like the 85 for a lot of good reasons, not just because Sampras used it.

Huh ??? I thought you were a * mid * only guy - BTW, I've been playing with the N 6.1 95 as of late, only played with it on clay a couple of times, the real test will be the hard courts to see if I can get the racquet around in time..

BreakPoint
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Huh ??? I thought you were a * mid * only guy - BTW, I've been playing with the N 6.1 95 as of late, only played with it on clay a couple of times, the real test will be the hard courts to see if I can get the racquet around in time..

BG, I thought you've been here long enough to have seen my numerous posts on the PS 6.0 95? I thought just about everyone knew that I rate that racquet very highly.

Anyway, I'm by no means "a mid only guy". I'm a "use whatever works for you even if that happens to be a mid kind of guy", as opposed to a "no one should be using a mid, everyone should be using a MP kind of guy". ;)

In any case, according to Prince these days, now a 95 is a "mid". ;) LOL

AJK1
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
A mid or midplus compared to what? And what is small these days. Shouldn't a mid now be called a small, and midplus now called a mid etc.

psp2
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
It seems that the trend of racquet makers are much more focused on the midplus sizes rather than OS or mid.

95 si. the new "mid"? Nah, can't be.

Regulator
08-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I personally think some rackets are getting way too large. May as well play with one of those large promo rackets hanging from the ceiling at your local proshop.