PDA

View Full Version : Which of these two racquets has the best: power, control, comfort, feel and spin?

CollegeBound
08-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Prince TT Warrior MP
Dunlop Maxply McEnroe

I've narrowed my choice down to these two (no substitutes, just these two)but I can't demo so have to rely on reviews/ the feedback of people on this board. I've read through the archives but just wanted to pose this question one more time before I make my purchase.

Of the two racquets, which one has the most power, best spin potential, best feel/touch and best comfort. If you can, also chime in on which you think provides the best overall overall performance or handles certain things best (serves, volleys, groundstrokes, etc)?

Thanks very much

CollegeBound
08-13-2006, 05:07 PM
bump......

Redflea
08-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Haven't hit w/either, so what the heck, I'll chime in. :)

From what I've heard about the Maxply, I would not choose it for comfort...I don't think that's one of its strengths.

armand
08-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I used to own the TT Warrior Mid+ but I haven't hit with the Maxplay. I just know that the TT is one spinny mofo. I had mine leaded it up and it was just a great all around racquet and I really, really, really, really, really, wish I hadn't sold her.

AJK1
08-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Out of all the racquets in this world and you chose those two? Sheeesh

CollegeBound
08-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Out of all the racquets in this world and you chose those two? Sheeesh
Yep, I picked two crappy racquets and got your crappy reply: go figure.

Adely, thanks very much. I've had a hit with the Warrior MP, enjoyed it and got a taste of its spin capabilities but thought I'd ask how the Maxply compares. Price is a major concern for me (family commitments come before buying an expensive racquet) and those two seem to be the best in my limited price range.

AJK1
08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, collegebound, if you're on a budget, you'd be far better off buying something off #bay second hand, than buying any of the cheaper new racquets on TW, especially the McEnroe, as it is so low powered you would hardly get the ball over the net.

need2paint
08-14-2006, 04:24 PM
my 2 cents:

The Maxply is not as stiff feeling as some on this board make it out to be. I don't like stiff racquets, and I chose the Maxply because, to me, it has a solid feel without being stiff.

It also has plenty of power (ajk1 obviously hasn't used it).

I don't know anything about the Prince, but I love my Maxply. You can always replace the leather grip with a synthetic one to make it more comfortable, though I like it with the leather.

6ft6
08-14-2006, 07:13 PM
I have the Maxply and will probably get another. It is stiff, mine measured 71 on a boblat machine at a local shop, but I don't find it harsh. I find great feel and potent serving. Contrary to the opinion above, I find it to be very powerful. Net play is great with fantastic touch.

Sorry I can't comment on the TT Warrior, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Maxply.

AJK1
08-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I emailed TW about the McEnroe as i was interested in buying one, and they didn't recommend i buy one as it is "low powered, too demanding, and stiff".(Similar to what i already have). So i didn't buy one. It was their words, not mine.

Revman
08-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I emailed TW about the McEnroe as i was interested in buying one, and they didn't recommend i buy one as it is "low powered, too demanding, and stiff".(Similar to what i already have). So i didn't buy one. It was their words, not mine.

Someone at TW must have gotten confused. The Maxply packs a wallop and is not terribly demanding. I also agree with the other posters regarding stiffnss ... it's not nearly as harsh as some have suggested.

ironchef21
08-17-2006, 07:44 AM
I have a Maxply McEnroe and haven't found it demanding or harsh. I guess it depends on what racket you're comparing it to. I normally use the Dunlop HM 200G when I play so comparatively speaking the Maxply has more power and spin than that I'm used to. For me it's a racket better suited to doubles because it's great with serves and at the net.

varuscelli
08-17-2006, 08:18 AM
bump......

You have a legitimate question.

Bumps are annoying, though. Looks to me like they're generally not needed on these forums.

Sorry, I realize that does nothing to answer your question.

UpTheT
08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
The maxply is a great racket in terms of solid feel. The problem is the beam is too thick making it too stiff for an even balance. Balls fly off this racket when serving, making it hard to keep flat serves in. Also without the flex, its hard to judge what the racket is going to do each time you try a kick serve. You never know if or when the racket is going to flex. With a dead racket or players racket you know its going to flex no matter where on the hoop you strike the ball.

If you have a shallow serve don't worry about it. The make plays well all around- just be careful on the serve.

6ft6
08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm only serve and volley because I was never taught ground strokes. I have to score lots of points off of serve to compete, and clean up at the net. The Maxply can serve some outright bombs for flat serve and wicked spin serves as well. I put some lead on mine this week for league play and it made a huge difference on my serve timing. It's now 12.4 oz total weight. 3/4 or so of that in the handle and the other at 3-9.

I'm not having any problems with the stiffness, seems to provide plenty of feedback, and I love the leather grip.

complwyr
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I have played with the Maxply since July 05 and found it to be a sweet racquet. Great touch and control, good power, not too demanding. I used to play with PS 6.0 85 so I know about "demanding" racquets. I have demoed the Rafter stick and I greatly prefer the Maxply. It is a much better racquet than the naysayers on this forum would have you believe. Just don't string it too tightly--anything over about 60 and it does get harsher. I use 17 gauge soft multifiliment in the mid to upper 50's tension and it plays great. It is an awesome racquet on the volley, and the sweet spot feels as good as any racquet I have used in the past 25 years. (Wood was better feeling...but the Maxply reminds me of the old Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff woodie, which was Johnny Mac's junior and Wimbledon 1977 semifinals stick, as the shaft stiffness feels very similar to what I remember from that old PS racquet.)

TripleB
09-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I'll let you know soon....my Maxply McEnroe comes in today....I was checking into one for a guy I play with and decided that for the price I just had to see how this "beautiful" racquet plays.

The Prince TT Warrior caused me arm problems. I started out with a poly, then went to a poly/synthetic, and then eventually to a straight synthetic and could never get rid of the arm pain. The 03 White is an amazing (ie: no arm pain at all) update to the TT Warrior.

TripleB

Gundam
09-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Prince TT Warrior MP
Dunlop Maxply McEnroe

I've narrowed my choice down to these two (no substitutes, just these two)but I can't demo so have to rely on reviews/ the feedback of people on this board. I've read through the archives but just wanted to pose this question one more time before I make my purchase.

Of the two racquets, which one has the most power, best spin potential, best feel/touch and best comfort. If you can, also chime in on which you think provides the best overall overall performance or handles certain things best (serves, volleys, groundstrokes, etc)?

Thanks very much

I understand you are thinking just between these two. I do Know. ;)
But have you considered wilson prostaff 6.0 95? Comfort, feel/touch, spin are there and it has adequate power too.