PDA

View Full Version : Wilson nBlade MP First Impression

ashpookie
08-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Received a demo nBlade MP and took it out for a spin today. Unfortunately they only had it in 4 1/4 again (I used 4 3/8 w/ overgrip), and it was strung with a full poly job @ 59lbs.

Only hit for 5 mins before deciding that I didn't like it at all, it felt nice to swing but on ball contact, there was no feel, frame was a to flexy for me even. Power was low, even lower than my n6.1 95 with gut. I think the poor feel is due to the poly strings.

I don't feel like demoing it, but it's like I'm wasting the demo, cause I waited 2 weeks for it. Anyway, Anyone who has a nBlade MP strung with softer strings, could you please tell me what its like.

Will post pics if requested. On a side note, got my Reebok Pump Match Day today! :mrgreen:

ashpookie
08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Anyone with the nBlade OS please comment on it too, thanks!

bluescreen
08-13-2006, 07:09 AM
when i demoed the mp it was strung w/ sensation at 55. i also thought it was underpowered, but i thought it was lacking in control as well. the only thing i liked about it was slice. all my groundies were falling in the service line or flying out. vollies and serves were subpar imo.

DURICA533
08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Huh,

I loved the nBlade. I have a full swing and usually play with the PS85 or the ROK. I felt the racket pocket the ball really well and I am heavily considering purchasing one cause it is alot easier on the arm.

My opponent who has less than a full swing also tried it and he didn't like it.

I also feel that I have a much easier time creating spin and flattening out at will because of its lightness. IMO it has all the advantages of a players stick without the weight.

Also my kicks are massive on this because of the lightweight.

AJK1
08-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Word is the nBlade is an old Wilson design racquet given a new paintjob and being flogged off as a new type of racquet. No-one i know that has demoed it has liked it. Wilson has other models to chose from that are better.

p0w3r
08-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Word is the nBlade is an old Wilson design racquet given a new paintjob and being flogged off as a new type of racquet. No-one i know that has demoed it has liked it. Wilson has other models to chose from that are better.
which racquet would it be then?:confused:

I really like the nBlade MP..infact i use one :p I think it takes a while to get used to it and it is very low powered. I first had it strung with Wilson Sensation at 55lbs and thought it was decent and it had good pace if you prepare early and swing fast. When the string on it broke, i switched to the more powerful X-One Biphase at 53lbs and I am extremely happy with it. I usualy like open string pattern rackets due to increased spin, but i think due to the low flex on it, i can still generate good spin off off it. At this lower tension i think power is just perfect..but like i said you still need to swing fast and have a full swing in order to do anything. With its high swingweight of 340...once you swing it fast you will get good pace off it.:)

Tim Set Match
08-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Received a demo nBlade MP and took it out for a spin today. Unfortunately they only had it in 4 1/4 again (I used 4 3/8 w/ overgrip), and it was strung with a full poly job @ 59lbs.

Only hit for 5 mins before deciding that I didn't like it at all, it felt nice to swing but on ball contact, there was no feel, frame was a to flexy for me even. Power was low, even lower than my n6.1 95 with gut. I think the poor feel is due to the oly strings.

I don't feel like demoing it, but it's like I'm wasting the demo, cause I waited 2 weeks for it. Anyway, Anyone who has a nBlade MP strung with softer strings, could you please tell me what its like.

Will post pics if requested. On a side note, got my Reebok Pump Match Day today! :mrgreen:

I think your problem is that it is strung so tight. I have two nBlades. I strung one with Head Syn Gut 17 at 60 lbs and it felt like a bat. Absolutely useless, no feel, and hard on the arm. Strung at 57 with the same string it played beautifully.

I can't say that I have tried a ton of racquets, but this is definitely my favourite stick so far. You do need to hit hard and fast, and with some topspin as well. If the ball is struck below the level of the net with a fast flat swing it will probably go out.

The nBlade has more control that any racquet that I have played with. It also feels crisper than any racquet I have demoed or used; expecially without a vibration dampner, and that is what I like the most about it. Definitely good for single handed backhands too (at least for mine).

Btw, I think there might be two versions of the MP. Mine are both 6 pts head light, but the stats online say that it is now 2 pts head light.

How do you like your Match Day Pumps? I can't decide whether to get a pair of them or barricade 4s...!

p0w3r
08-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Btw, I think there might be two versions of the MP. Mine are both 6 pts head light, but the stats online say that it is now 2 pts head light.

Theres only one nBlade MP...It is 6pts head light unstrung and 2pts head light when strung.;)

Tim Set Match
08-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Theres only one nBlade MP...It is 6pts head light unstrung and 2pts head light when strung.;)

Ha, thanks for the correction.

Btw, has anyone here tried an nBlade with any Luxilon string?

ashpookie
08-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Well, the nBlade is a demo and I can't change the strings, which is ******* me off because I may be missing out on a potentailly great racquet.

And Tim Set Match, the Pumps are like tanks on my feet, everything great, poor ventilation though. Pumps are more for medium/wide feet, Barricade 4s are for narrow feet.

SFrazeur
08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
which racquet would it be then?:confused:

I think it is from a heavily modified Prostaff ROK mold.

The ROK was the last closest racquet to the nBlade.

TN1
08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
First thing what is a wilson ROK?

Second, as many posters have already said the nBlade MP is a very string and tension finicky racquet. I've been testing many string and tension combos and finally am getting closer to a ideal combo for me.

If you're string the nBlade at 59 lbs with a polyester, I would say that's way too tight and is probably the source of your problems. With the wrong string and tension the nBlade feels underpowered and essentially dead. Control can be problem at this point too as you'll probably have to hit much harder to get any reaction from the racquet. If you want power go for 17 guage and 51-53 lbs in tension.

From my string and tension testing experience I would say the nBlade is quite interesting. As you lower the thickness of the guage and the tension, the sweet spot gets much sweeter. It just doesn't get more powerful as it pushes the ball deeper. The feel increases dramatically and the racquet gets much more active as the sweetspot gets sweeter. The nBlade has a high sweet spot, but it gets much sweeter towards the middle and this effect is enhanced with thin string and lower tensions.

As for feel, I don't think there is a racquet in the MP with a dense string pattern that can beat the nBlade. It's untouched in that area IMO. I've demoed it against the Head FXP Prestige MP, PK Redondo, FXP Prestige Team, and I've demoed the Wilson n6.1 18X20, Head Radical MP, and Radical Team. Of course I think its a great racquet that's why i own two of them. ;)

As for control, it's got good control IMO. Not the best of the all the racquets I listed, but good still.

Also, as for a new nBlade floating around. I am not sure. I know my racquet says the suggested tension is 50-60 lbs, but I think the Wilson website says 55-65 lbs. Does anybody's nBlade say this?

SFrazeur
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
First thing what is a wilson ROK?

Ta-da.

ROK 93

http://web.archive.org/web/20031205140248/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=ROK92

ROK 102
http://web.archive.org/web/20041107011124/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-ROK102.html

ashpookie
08-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Ta-da.

ROK 93

http://web.archive.org/web/20031205140248/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=ROK92

ROK 102
http://web.archive.org/web/20041107011124/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-ROK102.html

How did you find those old racquet pages? I want to see some specs of some old racquets that are not on the new TW anymore.

And what does ROK stand for?

PBODY99
08-13-2006, 11:44 PM
And what does ROK stand for?

Nothing to the best of my knowledge. When the frame came out I asked a Wilson rep @ the US Open and was told that is how they decided to spell it. Since Rossinol had a ROCK in the early 1990's I thought they didn't want to infringe on any copywrite that may have existed.

alfa164164
08-14-2006, 06:55 AM
I had an nBlade MP strung with Isospeed Professional at 60 lbs. (due to Iso's tension drop that is probably about the equivalent of 54 lbs.) and it was extremely comfortable and had quite a bit of power. I also had one strung up with Luxilon ALU at around 54 lbs. and it had great spin and control, but it lost a bit of power and a ton of comfort. Also PSG 17g (which is normally a decent middle of the road string) felt horrible in it, no power, no feel, just dead. I do think your impression of the nBlade will vary greatly depending on the string setup. Also, with the dense string pattern and high flex, the racket will play dead if strung too tightly. IMO 60 is too tight unless you take a cut at the ball like Paul Henri-Mathieu. Mid to low 50s will give you a good ride.

SFrazeur
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
How did you find those old racquet pages? I want to see some specs of some old racquets that are not on the new TW anymore.

http://www.archive.org/index.php

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://tennis-warehouse.com

meow02
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I just switched to the nBlade OS from the Prince thunderstike OS and strung with Signum pro plasma 16 57 lbs and Head FXP 16 59 lbs. After the first few hours of play, I think the racquet is pretty good concerning the feel and the power. Very good volleys and very good backhand slices.
The only problem is my strokes are becoming flatter with the nBlade compare to my old thunderstrike.

ashpookie
08-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Well, returned the nBlade. Got a Prince O3 White Demo instead! :)

Dopke
08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't know if Wilson marketed it like that, but sometime along the way it was promoted as ROK solid. :D

Oh yeah, my first impression when I saw the racquet was also that it looked very similar to the ROK's mold.