PDA

View Full Version : What power level should I be looking for?

PolandSprings22
08-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I normally have long, far strokes, but want to improve for shorter, more compact ones.

TennsDog
08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry, not enough info. In general, it is accepted that racket power is inversely proportional to swing length.

Janne
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry, not enough info. In general, it is accepted that racket power is inversely proportional to swing length.

Longer strokes = low powered racquet and very short and compact strokes = more powerful racquet, right?

TennsDog
08-13-2006, 04:50 PM
In general, yes. But it is perfectly possible to have short and powerful strokes if you have good racket head acceleration.

jonolau
08-14-2006, 04:55 AM
I normally have long, far strokes, but want to improve for shorter, more compact ones.
Sorry, but this statement does not add up, IMO.

People are aiming for longer strokes with follow through as it is a natural completion of the forehand stroke.

Short compact strokes involve too many irregular motions. You are also hitting the ball when you arm is decelerating and leads to instability and a drop in directional control and accuracy, thus increasing the likelihood of sending your ball all over the place.

Can you explain why you want to "improve" to a shorter, more compact swing?

Tennis_Nickmo
08-15-2006, 04:15 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

Alafter
08-15-2006, 05:08 AM
In general, yes. But it is perfectly possible to have short and powerful strokes if you have good racket head acceleration.
ROFL I love your short, curt and direct answer. And it's all true.

PBODY99
08-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Sorry, but this statement does not add up, IMO.

People are aiming for longer strokes with follow through as it is a natural completion of the forehand stroke.

Short compact strokes involve too many irregular motions. You are also hitting the ball when you arm is decelerating and leads to instability and a drop in directional control and accuracy, thus increasing the likelihood of sending your ball all over the place.
[/COLOR]

The motion in a short stroke doesn't have to be either irregular nor decelerating. Some players who are physically strong tend to wait until the ball is much closer to them beore starting their swing, leading to a more compact stroking motion.
Granted the originator of this thread isn't clear on what they hope to do, perhaps they are talking about their volley, or that they fail at shot, spraying the ball everywhere.:cool:

jonolau
08-15-2006, 06:31 AM
The motion in a short stroke doesn't have to be either irregular nor decelerating. Some players who are physically strong tend to wait until the ball is much closer to them beore starting their swing, leading to a more compact stroking motion.
Granted the originator of this thread isn't clear on what they hope to do, perhaps they are talking about their volley, or that they fail at shot, spraying the ball everywhere.:cool:
PBODY99, granted that there are players out there who use short compact strokes, but it's advisable to have a follow through if not abrupt stopping motions on a forehand will increase the tendency for arm problems. That is why coaching professionals will teach beginners this very basic stroke. I notice that it is usually the novices who have not had any formal training who use short strokes.