PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm, nPro Open, Mfil 200 2006, Pd w/cortex, DNX 8, mfil 300

ace of spades
08-13-2006, 11:40 AM
For a while I have been using heavy 12 oz player sticks. Last week when I was in an intense final match of a tourny, in the 3rd hour in the 3rd set, my racket started feeling really heavy and I could no longer use it effectively. Im a medium build 16 year old, and it had never been a problem before. But now, I am starting to play even more competitively and I feel that my racket weight could be a factor. So my coach advised me to look for something lighter so I turn to the most knowledgeable people for my search for a new racket.

I previously used the lm prestige mp and looking for something lighter.

my choices

pure storm
Npro open
mfil 200 2006
pd/w cortex
DNX 8
Mfil 300

Noveson
08-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Both of the Babs and the Npro Open are great for spin, if you are looking for that. Those are the only three I have tried so can't help anymore. The Pd has a lot of power but spin helps with control. The Open was too light for my taste.

ashpookie
08-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Since you're already using Head, why not try the Head Flexpoint Instinct, similar to the racquets on your list, but you will have the same grip shape you're used too.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
08-13-2006, 01:55 PM
get a pure drive and you'll wreck your arm. You'll never play your best again, and a pure drive encourages you to get lazy, hindering your development as a player. If you want to improve your game and not lose your arm out of those you listed I would get an nPRo Open. Other light racquets that I might recommend are the Yonex RDX and RDS midplus. If its too light you can always add lead to make it heavier. Before you choose anything, demo and see what fits you best.

Cheers,

Taco

hadoken
08-13-2006, 02:00 PM
don't switch...you'r 16 and only going to get stronger. This light weight stuff is marketing driven. I switched to a Storm from my 12+ oz frame and it simply wrecked my arm and I went back to a 15 year old design.

ace of spades
08-13-2006, 02:17 PM
don't switch...you'r 16 and only going to get stronger. This light weight stuff is marketing driven. I switched to a Storm from my 12+ oz frame and it simply wrecked my arm and I went back to a 15 year old design.
the storm is supposed to be pretty arm friendly, I wonder how it wrecked your arm so bad. the storm was looking ideally what i wanted to get.

SHUNGO
08-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I switched from a heavier Volk T10 MP to the PStorm, while I was recovering from a wrist problem, with the correct strings this is multi/filaments or natural gut, the racquet will feel amazingly friendly for the arm and wrist and elbow.

It is agreat stick, just read the feedback at TW PS site, it really is amazing, however, a little weight may be needed for stronger players, but go ahead try it.

hadoken
08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
my gripes with a light racquet are many. First, mass helps reduck shock and vibration and when you have a light stick your arm will feel it more. It also serves horribly...would you rather nail with a hammer that has a lot of weight vs one with little weight? I know that is not a great analogy but you get my point. You can argue that racquet speed can make up for that mass, but I find that it wasn't the case for me.

I know the Storm is rated flexible, but it plays stiffer if you ask me. If you add more weight to it and get it close to 12 oz, then it will feel even stiffer. All of us Gen Xers in the late 80s grew up playing 12 oz racquets and NONE of us EVER complained a racquet was too heavy....I really don't get why it is such a big deal now. I'll say it again - you are 16 and going to get stronger. There is absolutely no reason for you to think you need to go to a lighter racquet because of arm fatigue. if you were tired by the 3rd set, that's just being naturally tired and a conditioning issue more than a racquet issue

foucapoI
08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm a regular user of PS 6.0 95 and played Mfil 300 yesterday first time.
Wow, to me, Mfil 300 felt and played like a lighter version of PS 6.0 95.

tennis_hand
08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
get a pure drive and you'll wreck your arm. You'll never play your best again, and a pure drive encourages you to get lazy, hindering your development as a player. If you want to improve your game and not lose your arm out of those you listed I would get an nPRo Open. Other light racquets that I might recommend are the Yonex RDX and RDS midplus. If its too light you can always add lead to make it heavier. Before you choose anything, demo and see what fits you best.

Cheers,

Taco

ya. the nPro Open/Surge is very good for improving players. It is not a hardcore player's racket.

fielders_80
08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Isnt the Mfil 300 awesome? I just swtiched to Mfil 300 from O3 Tour MP and i am loving it.

I'm a regular user of PS 6.0 95 and played Mfil 300 yesterday first time.
Wow, to me, Mfil 300 felt and played like a lighter version of PS 6.0 95.

midsouth
08-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Wheres the Yonex? The RDS 003 deserves a place in this poll.

ace of spades
08-14-2006, 10:55 AM
thanks I ordered the pure storm.
I didnt order a demo of it because demos are not available until much later this month and I am too impatient. (although I did try it briefly before)
Glowing reviews and good experiences from people who made a similar switch finally convinced me to get this racket. If I like it I will get a few more, if i dont Ill just sell it.

rayallen333
05-20-2007, 10:12 AM
what do you think of the PS???