PDA

View Full Version : I don't see many pros leading up their rackets.

Ganz
08-13-2006, 12:33 PM
I've been leading my rackets for the last two years, from the PS6 to the Pure Storm. I have read a lot of posts on this forum about leading people's racket up. The thing is, if you scan the pages and pictures of pros rackets in any two magazines I just don't see leaded up rackets (if you look closely). Nadal doesn't and a load of others don't either. I've seen Roddick experimenting with the lead and rumour has it Federer has the lead inside his frame at ten and two o'clock - btw I've come across pic of Fed with a leaded up PS6.0 at ten and two o'clock (when he was with the Swedish coach).

If the pros can play with 'unleaded' rackets then why are we making it difficult for ourselves. Isn't it just a case of learning to hit with an unleaded racket, getting used to it so that the ball does not fly? what do you think?

travlerajm
08-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I've been leading my rackets for the last two years, from the PS6 to the Pure Storm. I have read a lot of posts on this forum about leading people's racket up. The thing is, if you scan the pages and pictures of pros rackets in any two magazines I just don't see leaded up rackets (if you look closely). Nadal doesn't and a load of others don't either. I've seen Roddick experimenting with the lead and rumour has it Federer has the lead inside his frame at ten and two o'clock - btw I've come across pic of Fed with a leaded up PS6.0 at ten and two o'clock (when he was with the Swedish coach).

If the pros can play with 'unleaded' rackets then why are we making it difficult for ourselves. Isn't it just a case of learning to hit with an unleaded racket, getting used to it so that the ball does not fly? what do you think?

The racquet companies prefer that the players hide the lead. It makes it easier to sell the stock versions of the racquets.

But make no mistake, the pros are all playing with racquets that have a lot more lead than the stock model - it's just that the weight is added inside the frame now (or under the bumper, etc) so that you can't see it. It's not like the 90's anymore where every top pro had heaps of visible lead all over the racquet.

LowProfile
08-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Many of the pros have racquets that are customized without being obvious to the naked eye. Others just have custom frames with extra weight inside the racquet. For example Nadal's lead is under the bumperguard. Roddick has a good amount of lead on his racquet, as does Blake. Not many high-level male pros use stock frames.

Alafter
08-13-2006, 12:40 PM

I dont think we have any facts on whether pro racquets are leaded up. Dont look at the racquet they use on court: think like you were a major racquet company. If it were me, I would ask ALL good pros using my racquets to get their model modded and paintjobbed. That way, the public sees that the racquets are perfect the way they are when the pros hit crazy balls with them.

However, I agree with you on people on this board leading it up like a trend. No offense to those who actually know what they like (like james bond liking his martinis).

Lastly, no matter whether it's the trendy group or the real users of lead, well, i dont think they feel it's difficult upon themselves to play with their leaded up racquets.

westy
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
in some of the latest versions of some rackets, companie have but "lead coloured" paint at 3 and 9 to hide the lead wen its put on. eg pure drive roddick an rds001

BreakPoint
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM

I think the first things to ask yourself are: What do the pros have anything to do with us? How does what the pros do have any relevance to us? Do we have anything in common with the pros?

The pros do what works for them and you should do whatever works for you. What the pros do may not work for you and what you do may not work for the pros. You're not a pro so why should you do what the pros do?

If ALL the pros wore size 11 shoes, would you also start wearing size 11 shoes even though you're a size 9?

Just something to think about.

Ganz
08-14-2006, 03:34 AM
I think the first things to ask yourself are: What do the pros have anything to do with us? How does what the pros do have any relevance to us? Do we have anything in common with the pros?

The pros do what works for them and you should do whatever works for you. What the pros do may not work for you and what you do may not work for the pros. You're not a pro so why should you do what the pros do?

If ALL the pros wore size 11 shoes, would you also start wearing size 11 shoes even though you're a size 9?

Just something to think about.

I take your point (even if the shoe analogy is slightly OTT). But isn't that like saying we shouldn't buy Subaru Imprezas because we're not rally drivers and couldn't handle the car, or that we couldn't benefit from any of the developments, contributed partly by the suggestions and ideas of the pros driving them, to the cars i.e. the great handling and power (crap analogy I know).

I see the pros as no-nonsense work horses who use their equipment on a daily basis, they iron out the creases, will suggest or even make modifcations. Surely some of these mods will filter down to the 'High St' racket. Old=Bumper guard tape, New=Bumper guards.

The pros might be pros but it's also reasuring to know that however way you look at it they are made from the same stuff as you and me, i.e. they're human - Borg and Muster excluded of course.

Galactus
08-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Federer has about 5g of lead tops on his racket (at the throat and at 12 o'clock under the bumper-guard) - overall weight is around 357-360g. (both his Prostaff Tour90 from 3 years ago and his current NSix-One Tour90)

travlerajm
08-14-2006, 04:54 AM
Federer has about 5g of lead tops on his racket (at the throat and at 12 o'clock under the bumper-guard) - overall weight is around 357-360g. (both his Prostaff Tour90 from 3 years ago and his current NSix-One Tour90)

It's worth noting that Fed is the exception to the rule (probably because he is actually a robot). The rest of the pros are human like the rest of us, so they require heaps of lead to optimize their performance.

tennisfanatic
08-14-2006, 05:25 AM
I dont think we have any facts on whether pro racquets are leaded up. Dont look at the racquet they use on court: think like you were a major racquet company. If it were me, I would ask ALL good pros using my racquets to get their model modded and paintjobbed. That way, the public sees that the racquets are perfect the way they are when the pros hit crazy balls with them.

However, I agree with you on people on this board leading it up like a trend. No offense to those who actually know what they like (like james bond liking his martinis).

Lastly, no matter whether it's the trendy group or the real users of lead, well, i dont think they feel it's difficult upon themselves to play with their leaded up racquets.

well we have proof:

in his site he was asked:
"Can you please tell me the weight of YOUR racquet?"

Roger Answered:
"It differs, depending on the surface we use lead weights which are fixed on the inside of the frame."

Looking at that Federer confirmed that they used lead weights to make his racket heavy depending on the surface.

this is the link:
http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/fanzone/askroger/index.cfm?uNC=24772654&uPage=2&uCategoryID=3

Galactus
08-14-2006, 05:38 AM
It's worth noting that Fed is the exception to the rule (probably because he is actually a robot). The rest of the pros are human like the rest of us, so they require heaps of lead to optimize their performance.
Heaps? Not approaching the amount that Sampras used back in the day, surely, i.e. the extra 30-35g on frame and handle...

travlerajm
08-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Heaps? Not approaching the amount that Sampras used back in the day, surely, i.e. the extra 30-35g on frame and handle...

Well... how about... Sampras used mountains of lead. Mountains are bigger than heaps.

Galactus
08-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Well... how about... Sampras used mountains of lead. Mountains are bigger than heaps.
Yep, good answer.

onkystomper
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Next time Gozo is playing try and look at the racket hoop on the inside near his strings.

He has lead tape running all the way along from about8-2 and 4-10 positions

Must way in at a least 20 grams

newnuse
08-19-2006, 12:53 PM
The vast majority of the Pros do not use stock rackets. They have people modify their rackets to their liking. You can't see it.

A colleague showed me a racket he got that was used by a tennis pro. It was definitelty not stock but you couldn't tell by just looking at it. The balance/weight was very different from the light stock version.

PrestigeClassic
08-19-2006, 08:18 PM
"Hidden" mass commonly is added to frames via:

lead tape under bumper
lead tape mashed in between grommets and frame
silicone in hairpin
lead tape under grip
leather grip or dense synthetic grip
different density polyurethane handle
heavier grommets (Head's CAP's)
reinforced construction = more graphite

I can't think of anymore at the moment.

By the way, about the lead you saw on Federer's 6.0 85 frame, might it have been the silver squares? That was part of the older Hyper 6.0 cosmetic, which is the version that Federer used on the 6.0 85. One picture I saw really made it seem like it was lead tape, but it was really part of the silver squares. Besides, I don't think Federer's frames would have such long strips of lead tape since it's difficult to match frames that way.