PDA

View Full Version : flexpoint

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 02:42 PM
head flexpoint... good line of racquets?? does the technology that it uses really work, or will u not feel any difference (or will it make a bad difference)??

Noveson
08-13-2006, 02:56 PM
It has a slightly different feel that I for one like. Although you will only feel it when you hit the ball pretty hard. I don't notice the holes persay, but I still think they have a lot of good racquets.

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 03:18 PM
slightly different feel? like control feel? or u-have-to-hit-differently-to-get-it where-u-want-it feel?

Noveson
08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Not not the latter, just the ball feels differently hitting the racquet when you hit hard.

fastdunn
08-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I personally think there's slightly different vibes from the hoop.

tennissavy
08-13-2006, 06:49 PM
I played with the flexpt. instinct demo a few times, from my local shop, and it was top notch. I didn't even need to customize it!!! It has been my only experience with head and a very good experience indeed.

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 06:49 PM
thanks for your responses, but im still not quite sure if your saying the racquet is good or if its crap... when u say feels different, does it JUST feel different, or does it also affect the flight of the ball?

BigServer1
08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I notice a little bit of extra dewll time on the racquet. I personally think that the flexpoint racquets are great (I own two). But I don't know if that's the flexpoint tech or not. I like them better than the liquidmetal line, better feel and stability in my opinion. Should you buy one? Demo, and find out what feels good. Hope this helps.

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 07:12 PM
i dont really no where i could demo one... i dont know any tennis shops near me. i only have a dunhams and dick's, and they dont have flexpoints.

i was thinking of buying one off e-bay (only $95 instead of $190). i just wanna make sure its a good investment or not. i think id be able to adjust to anything that may be a little quirky, but if its something major, than maybe i shouldnt...

Noveson
08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
It is not a very big difference. The flexpoint holes themselves won't make or break a racquet. But I think many of the flexpoint racquets are very nice. You can definitely find one you like.

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
which one would u suggest... from looks, i really like the fire (plus the price isnt too bad)

Aeropro joe
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
i was using the lm radical mp and cracked one on a serve, whle waiting for it's replacement to come i demoed a fxp radical mp and used it during 2 tournaments and hours of practice sessions. after 3 weeks with this frame i have noticed that it has a slighty heftier feel than the lm line, same crisp response while still remaining flexible but it did not do it for me on my bread and butter on-the-run dtl forehand. on this shot it sailed wide. i contribute this to the fxp flexing backwards and opening up the racket face. upon returning to my lm radical i once again was greatly successful at this shot. my theory is that wouldnt the ball have to be hit at either side of the holes to actually utilize the flex of the racket? if you exert force directly on the fulcrum it would have little to no effect or advantage would it? but as you move away from the fulcrum the leverage is utilized. does this make sense? but this is why pry bars are so long, but the force being exerted is really a great distance from the fulcrum, not right on top of it.

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
ok i see what your saying, if u hit it in the middle, the racquet cups the ball and makes it successful. but it u hit it near the top (like i do sometimes) itll bend back because of the "hinge" and make a wider shot?

do pros use fxp racquets? but then again, i guess they're good enough to be able to hit it in the middle to utilize the flexpoint tech, huh...

Aeropro joe
08-13-2006, 09:05 PM
ok i see what your saying, if u hit it in the middle, the racquet cups the ball and makes it successful. but it u hit it near the top (like i do sometimes) itll bend back because of the "hinge" and make a wider shot?

do pros use fxp racquets? but then again, i guess they're good enough to be able to hit it in the middle to utilize the flexpoint tech, huh...
yes that was what i was trying to convey. it might just be a physocolgical effect that those shots went wide but my hypothesis still makes sense to me. as for pros using the actual fxp technology, i know marat safin used it briefly and then went back to his pc 600's (at least that was the talk on these boards with some picture evidence presented) i can't think of any others off the top of my head. donald young might have also briefly used it

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
ok that kinda concerns me, the thing hinging away... does anybody else with experience with a flexpoint racquet have an opinion youd like to contribute please??

saqdeez
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
nccanes, do a search for flexpoint and you will find 30 threads. I liked the radical tour. No major weaknesses that i saw. Most rackets have 1 weakness or more for me. Solid all around. Big spin on serves and big topspin

NCcanes
08-13-2006, 09:34 PM
lol ya i thot of doing that, and searched it while waiting for some responses...

everyone says its crap, but then when the guy says im not getting fxp, someone comes on and defends it and says dont listen to everyone else, lol

thats ok though, it did help. thanks!

o, and everyone keeps saying that the fxp tech is a gimmick. so im not to concerned about the racquet hitting wider shots at the top. my concern isnt about the technology, but the results...

Londonfields
08-14-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, they're selling quite a lot of them (the flexpoints) so can't be much worse than the competition. The way they play is of course up to the specific model you pick, as I understand it they have models ranging from the flexpoint prestige, which is a players racquet that is demanding and for more advanced players. Further down in the range you'll find higher powered racquets more suitetd to recreational players.

I've never played w Head myself but many people, here and elsewhere, seem to hold them in high esteem, so I wouldn't worry too much. As for whether you'd like their offerings... You'll just have to test drive and see for yourself!

Concerning what other people say: if they say a racquet is 'sh*t', their opinions probably arent worth the paper they're printed on. If they can't give a credible, objective, unbiased opinion or explanation as to why they think it's not up to scratch, don't listen to them. Chances are that they can't play tennis for love nor money, and that they've just tried one in the range. Moreover, that one frame was probably something that shoots the balls faster than than a M16, which is less good iThink.

HTH

fastdunn
08-14-2006, 10:21 AM
thanks for your responses, but im still not quite sure if your saying the racquet is good or if its crap... when u say feels different, does it JUST feel different, or does it also affect the flight of the ball?

I don't think many people can see much differences.
You may ask Head for more details scientifically tested or something like that.

As for FXP prestige MP, I feel like it's stiff on the throat but flexy
on the hoop. I came from Yonex which had large but somewhat unclear
sweet spot. Compare to Yonex, Head has very distinct sweet spot.