PDA

View Full Version : weight loss + eating after workout?

newbie123
07-22-2004, 08:05 PM
If I lose 10 lbs, will it be purely fat that I'm losing? Or will I also lose muscle? Also, is it bad if you do not eat after you workout?

jun
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
If you do purely cardio, you can actually burn lean muscles.
I was listening to the radio and they had this lady from U of Illinois who has worked with top athelte. She said if you exclusively do cardio and don't do any weight lifting, then you could actually burn muscles, which is not good.

You don't really have to lift heavy weights. Just do light lifting session after you are done with cardio or whatever.

zesty-man
07-23-2004, 12:51 AM
well, thats a really hard quesiton to answer. i mean, if you lose 10 lbs, chances are that youre losing water, fat, and muscle. if you go on some kinda special diet, those first 5 lbs or so that you lose are water. maybe you should get your body fat percentage tested. cardio burns fat, but at the same time, bigger muscles use more calories at all times, evenwhen youre sleeping.

hmmm, eating after a workout, ive never really thought of that one. i guess it wouldnt be bad if you worked out in the afternoon and ate dinner, etc ec.

speedofpain88
07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
It is not bad if you don't eat after a work out. Usually if it has been a good workout you just don't feel hungry. However, it's extremely important to drink a lot of water before, during, and after an intense workout.
After 2-3 hours you should eat and replenish your body with nutrients. If you want to lose fat eat good food (cut out junk food and high fat food in general.)

Rickson
07-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Eat after a workout otherwise, you'll lose even more muscle.

James Brown
07-25-2004, 07:06 AM
i was reading tennis magazine and they had this article about low carb and tennis, but it still applies here. after you exercise/workout you should have some kind of sugar or else you will experience fatigue.

atatu
07-27-2004, 12:17 PM
If you want to lose weight, don't eat for an hour before you workout or an hour afterwards, that way your body will be burning stored fat. However, if you're concerned with athletic performance during your workout, you should eat beforehand.