PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape for serving power

Jackson Heights
08-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Where on the racquet do you put lead tape to increase power on the serve. I have heard it should be put on the very top, or at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, or on both sides of the throat. Which is better? How much weight should I add? Would putting it on the very top make the racket head heavy?

travlerajm
08-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Where on the racquet do you put lead tape to increase power on the serve. I have heard it should be put on the very top, or at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, or on both sides of the throat. Which is better? How much weight should I add? Would putting it on the very top make the racket head heavy?

Try this:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=107480

tennisguy11
08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
If you have the time, could you kindly tell me where I should add lead on my Yonex RDS 001 MP(weighs 11.9 ounces with overgrip and dampener), to make it a "serve and volley" racquet? I can handle up to 12.4 ounces of weight and a swingweight max of 332 Thanks.

Jackson Heights
08-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I checked that thread. Impossible to understand. Anyone have any simpler advice?

Galactus
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Try this:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=107480
Hey Einste....er...I mean Travlerjam...stop blowing our minds with physics and tell us parrot-fashion!! :mrgreen:

Hondasteve
08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Experiment with lead at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. That seems to be the most common placing these days. Add a little, then a litle more, until you get the desired results.

Jackson Heights
08-14-2006, 05:00 PM
What are the benefits of putting the lead tape on the throat?

onkystomper
08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
have you read this

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

It is quite insightful

Amone
08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Jackson-- if you would post your current racquet, then I can do ajm's equations for you, and just tell you what weight to add where.

Jackson Heights
08-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Amone - I am considering buying the Yonex RDS-003. I haven't demoed it yet, but I heard it is weak for serving. But my question is useful anyway because this will probably come up again in the future.

travlerajm
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
If you have the time, could you kindly tell me where I should add lead on my Yonex RDS 001 MP(weighs 11.9 ounces with overgrip and dampener), to make it a "serve and volley" racquet? I can handle up to 12.4 ounces of weight and a swingweight max of 332 Thanks.

Adding ~13g of lead at 3 and 9 will improve its serve-and-volley performance a lot while still staying within your spec limits. You may need to string tighter with a multi for best results.

Jackson Heights
09-24-2006, 08:18 AM
If i do buy the Yonex RDS 003: Am interested in increasing power for the serve, but will not play serve and volley. I could put the lead tape at 3 and at 9. But that will may make the racket more head heavy, or less head light, than I want. What if I put the lead tape at 5 and 7? Would that make it less head heavy than at 3 and 9? Also, would putting lead tape on 5 and 7 help add power to the serve? Any related suggestions?

dave333
09-24-2006, 08:23 AM
adding at 12 will make it more powerful and bring the sweetspot up so you get a height advantage on serve as well.

Amone
09-24-2006, 08:26 AM
If i do buy the Yonex RDS 003: Am interested in increasing power for the serve, but will not play serve and volley. I could put the lead tape at 3 and at 9. But that will may make the racket more head heavy, or less head light, than I want. What if I put the lead tape at 5 and 7? Would that make it less head heavy than at 3 and 9? Also, would putting lead tape on 5 and 7 help add power to the serve? Any related suggestions?
Here's what you would do: You'd consider your arm strength, and how much power you could handle in a racquet-- not just being able to control it, but being able to swing it. You'd add weight at the 3 and 9 as needed, only 8-12g, but if you really want, you could go up to a total of 16g at those spots. Much more than that [at once], you're likely to have trouble swinging in time.

You'd then add weight to the lower end of your racquet, to get the proper balance. If you contact me, (soulcutterx13@yahoo.com (mailto:soulcutterx13@yahoo.com)) then I can send you an excel spreadsheet that will allow you to enter however much weight at the 3/9, and the intended balance point; you'd also need to enter how much you'd want as the final weight. It'd spit out the location in centimeters where you'd add the weight.

Jackson Heights
09-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Amone - When you wrote to later on add weight to the "lower end" of the racquet - does "lower end" mean the handle, or does it mean the lower part of the head of the racket, such as 6 o'clock? If you do mean the handle, do you put lead weight underneath the grip? If so, where?

Jackson Heights
10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
OK. I have read up on this. Quite a while ago I had put lead tape on my old racket - the Yonex MP-2i. I put on a total of about 1/4 ounce (7 grams?), on the head at 3 and 9. I have since read you are also supposed to balance it by putting a little lead tape on the handle - supposedly some by the very bottom (the butt) and some more about 4 inches (10 cm) up from that. I read to put on "a little" lead tape on the handle, but I'm not sure how much that should be.

I just now put some on the handle - a 4 inch by 1/4 inch strip of lead tape on the butt, and the same about 4 inches up from that. That totals only about 1 gram on the handle, which is about 1/7 the total amount of lead weight I put on the head (at 3 and 9). Is this little amount on the handle enough? Or how much more should I add, being conservative, since I don't want to add too much, and I read to just add a little on the handle. But not sure if 1 gram on the handle is too little. Are you supposed to put on the handle 1/2 the total weight you put on the head, or 1/4 the weight or 1/5 the weight, etc.? Is there any rule of thumb for the ratio of weight added to the head and to the handle, if someone added weight to the head at 3 and 9? Just need a ballpark estimate, not exact answer, thanks! ( Should also factor in the fact that I will be adding Wilson Pro Overgrip onto the handle too. Not sure what that weighs).