PDA

View Full Version : Head i.S2 MP: has anyone hit with one?

AndrewD
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
As part of a small experiment/bet with a few of my club mates I've agreed to play a season of tennis with a tweener to see how much of a difference it makes to my performance after having always used racquets that fit into the 'players' bracket.

Was going to buy a cheap frame but saw a Head i.S2 in our local op-shop ($20) and figure it would fit the bill. Nothing on it in the archives so I'm hoping that a few people here might have had some experience with it and could fill me in on how it plays.

dbnet03
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Try this for specs:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-IS2.html

tempura_MAKI
08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
It played well, because when I used it I was a more control oriented player and thats what it gave. Moving into a babolat aeropro drive and a few Ncodes I realized it lacked power compared to the babolat and wilsons I use. I did add some lead tape in the 3 and 9 o'clock postitions and it did help. It is a very lightweight racquet.

AndrewD
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
dbnet03,
thanks mate. I've already had a look at the specs and the customer comments but that's handy for a reference point.

tempura_MAKI,

I don't know if I will be customising anything. We might bump it up to around about 11oz and 4pts HL as that seems to be the ballpark for quite a lot of tweeners, especially those which are head light. Don't want to add too much weight or modify it much at all as the whole idea is to see how using a tweener will affect my results and/or my strokes. How did you find the comfort, before and after you'd added weight?

tempura_MAKI
08-14-2006, 10:42 PM
I actually enjoyed the comfort of my iS2, and truthfully I didn't feel much difference when I modified it... But using it now with the added weight to the head I actually like the comfort moreso, probably simply because it feels more like the way I have my wilson, which I play with mostly, thus being more used to it. Without the weight I only notice that its a bit head light, which isnt much of a problem for me but I simply don't like to adapt constantly between racquets so the added weight helps.

AndrewD
08-15-2006, 04:32 AM
tempura_MAKI,

Thanks again for the comments. If it is the racquet they give me to use I won't feel so apprehensive. I asked one of our local coaches who used to be sponsored by Head what he thought of the i.S2 and he said it was one of the best Head racquet he used during his time with them. Felt it was better suited to players with more 'classical' or old-style strokes, especially those who slice the backhand (said it was excellent on the approach shot) and play a lot of doubles (excellent on the volley).

Does any of that match with your experience of it?

300Gkid
08-15-2006, 05:44 AM
if theres no price limit, i'd use a pure drive pretty much the standard for tweeners.

My friend has the I.S2 IMO its okay but is light and not very stable

AndrewD
08-15-2006, 07:27 AM
There is a price limit - as cheap as possible LOL. Basically this is just an exercise to see how a tweener style racquet will affect the game of someone who is used to playing with heavier, more flexible frames.

There's been so much discussion/argument on this board about people being incapable of hitting backhands with oversize racquets, anything other than 'players' racquets being uncontrollable, etc, etc, etc that we thought we'd put some of those claims to the test.

johnz
08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Hate to be negative, but my wife and I both switched to IS.2 racquets several years ago thinking that it would be nice to swing something light and easy as we advanced in age. Within a month we both developed rip-roaring cases of tennis elbow. Unfortunately it took a year before we figured out that these light sticks don't have the ability to absorb any shock and the impact goes right up to the tendons (both above and below the elbow). We then switched to ProKennex 5Gs and the problem was cured and never came back. I currently play with a Volkl Tour 10 and I love all 12 ounces. If you hit the ball relatively hard stay away from the light weight tweeners.
By the way, the same thing happened to a number of friends and soon most of the IS.2s, which were very popular in our area, stayed in the tennis bags.

tempura_MAKI
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
tempura_MAKI,

Thanks again for the comments. If it is the racquet they give me to use I won't feel so apprehensive. I asked one of our local coaches who used to be sponsored by Head what he thought of the i.S2 and he said it was one of the best Head racquet he used during his time with them. Felt it was better suited to players with more 'classical' or old-style strokes, especially those who slice the backhand (said it was excellent on the approach shot) and play a lot of doubles (excellent on the volley).

Does any of that match with your experience of it?

Yes, all the characteristics your coach described match the racquet perfectly. When it was my primary racquet, basically the 'classical' stroke was exactly what I used and it worked great. I wasn't a fan of slice backands but the occasional ones I did, the racquet controlled it finely, even the vollies at the net. It is definately not a bad choice.

AndrewD
08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
tempura_MAKI,

Thanks again mate.

johnz,

I'll keep your experience in mind, especially when choosing a string. I do agree that the ultra light weight racquets (under 11oz) can be problematic and that is another reason why I'll be happy to increase the weight of the i.S2. One point head light isn't really enough for a stiff racquet, especially one with such a low overall weight so we'll be looking to build it up to around the 11.5oz, 5ptsHL, 320 swingweight level.

Steve Huff
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I just strung one, and weighed it after stringing. It only weighed 9.6 oz strung. I don't recall the TiS2 being this light.

AndrewD
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Steve,
Thanks for that info.

I had a look at the racquet today and it was so badly beaten up I couldn't imagine it would have lasted through another re-string, let alone two (all I need for a season of play).

We'll probably just go ahead with our original plan and buy something that can easily be sold (or donated) at the end of the season. My vote is for the TT Warrior MP (11.3oz, 97sq and 67 flex) as it's a nice drop down from a player's frame (a bit like a player's-tweener) , is cheap and shouldn't be hard to sell.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

NoBadMojo
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I just strung one, and weighed it after stringing. It only weighed 9.6 oz strung. I don't recall the TiS2 being this light.

Steve. ya know, I was thinking of the TiS2 as well, but they'be been talking about the i.S2.....diff frame. The TiS2 (without the CZ) was a very playable frame..probably around a 315 swingweight, little extra length, close to even balance, not a great feel but good results. One of those frames that seemed to play better a few pounds over max rec tension. I saw one of these in a snapped condition once and was astonished by how thin the walls of this frame were.......paper thin

I think Andrew should try the Volkl Power Arm..i had no trouble at all using this frame, hitting my one hander even though it is maybe a 115headsize, etc

AndrewD
08-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Okay, I jumped the gun a bit on the last post. A local coach sponsored by Head has given us a brand new i.S2 MP (old stock) so I'll be using it this season. Had my first outing with it today and, if things continue at a similar standard, I think we might end up happily debunking (for our own benefit, we don't expect to convince anyone else) the myths associated with tweeners. Yes, there were some shots I found a bit harder to execute but there were just as many I found more effective and, after 7 sets, I had no arm or shoulder fatigue. At the end of the day, I won more games than I lost so, in a landslide, it's round 1 to the tweener.

Thanks again to all who responded.

coolblue123
03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Sorry for bringing posts back from the dead. But I was wondering if anyone remembers where this racquet was made in? A friend is selling his for $30 and it has a "Made in Austria," on the cap. Just wanted to confirm that it is made in Austria. thanks!