PDA

View Full Version : Head i.S4 MP Good for a newbie?

denyed
08-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I just purchased the i.S4 and it feels great. I purchased it strung for $70 bucks. Is this a good racquet for a beginner? I have played with it once and completely noticed an improvement in my game. The ball would go where I wanted it to. So back to my question, is the racquet a good racquet for a beginner? Thanks!!

Jason

Steve H.
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
If you like it then sure, why not?

Actually there were two sizes of the i.S4. The 102 midplus is a good all-around frame, on the light side, good for beginners but people can play with it at a high level too. The pro at our club is a solid 4.5 with a crafty placement and drop-shot game, and he uses it to devastating effect.

The oversize version of the i.S4 is extremely light and also quite head-heavy. A frame like that can be OK for senior players and beginners who don't hit the ball very hard, but f you are at all serious about improving it will probably hold you back before long because you won't be able to take a full swing and keep the ball in the court. A light, head-heavy racquet can also be dangerous in terms of tennis elbow and other arm and wrist injuries.

So figure out which version you have -- if it's the midplus you should be OK for a while; if the oversize watch out for elbow twinges or control problems, and maybe think about getting something else at some point.

have fun!

denyed
08-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Steve.
I have the mid plus and I find it has very nice control and crafty placement, as you put it. I think I will enjoy it, but I was thinking the same thing as you mentioned. It's a good racquet to start with but if/when I get serious, I may need to upgrade. Thanks again Steve.

Jason