PDA

View Full Version : What do all of you do for a living??

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Those of you who are in employment, what jobs do you all do? Do you like your job? And if you could go back and choose a career again, what would you choose (ie, within reason!)

I am 20 years old and have no idea of what the hell I am going to do - just spent two weeks at a corporate law firm and realized that it absolutely sucks and I wouldn't last long as one of those guys.

I need some ideas fast, this is really scarring the hell out of me now !

Phil
07-23-2004, 03:18 AM
I notice that you're in London, England. Well, I think that given your circumstances and where you live the ideal career awaits you in the food services industry.

You, young chap...can do very well providing friendly and non-confrontational service to a hungry and impatient populace. McDonald's is ALWAYS hiring and, you can be proud, once hired, that you TOO will be IN EMPLOYMENT. Burger King, Wendy's and many other companies WANT to offer you the opportunity to become part of a team in a growing multi-national quick service restaurant chain. Oh, your friends, and even relatives, may snicker at you and make jokes about "flipping burgers", but you will know in your heart that you are providing a much-needed service to the community and are, in all likelihood, on the management fast track. And, if working for a multi-national doesn't suit you, there's always the local version, slinging eel and kidney pies or bangers and mash. Good luck and cheerio, young chap.

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-23-2004, 05:09 AM
LOL, yeah, thats probably what it'll end up coming to!

Do you flip burgers for a living? No wait a minute, you're a manager at McD's, right? You make flipping reconstituted moosebladder sound like a civic duty!

fantom
07-23-2004, 05:51 AM
All kidding aside, I was in the same position as you (G_F) when I was in my early twenties. When I chose Electrical Engineering as my major, I still wasn't sure that was what I wanted to do the rest of my life. While in school, however, I found that the subject matter of Electrical Engineering was very interesting. I just stuck with it, and 8 years later I'm still doing it. The only regret that I have is that my (usually) long hours takes away from my tennis game. That may have something to do with the wife and kid at home too...........:)

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-23-2004, 06:24 AM
I'm glad that turned out well for you fantom, it's good to hear someone actually likes (or at least doesn't hate) their job.

I basically chose to study law because I had no particular talent for anything and any hardworking moron can succeed in law - all you need to do is put in hours. The jobs I was interested in as a kid required skills that I did not have (maths, physics, mechanics - was alsway crap at them).

So I figured, while I thought up something I am actually interested in doing (and can do), I'd get a respectable degree. 6 years later, I'm still thinking. I just finished two weeks work experience with a law firm and those guys just get murdered. Their work is their life and they rarely see daylight. They earn a huge salary - but if all you ever do is work like a machine, what does a few extra 0s on your balance sheet mean?

The only way those guys survive is by enjoying what they do. They are genuinely interested in corporate insolvency and securitisation. Unfortunately, it bores hell out of me - hence the need for inspiration.

Now I'm gonna get a pan and flip some burgers :wink:

drakulie
07-23-2004, 08:18 AM
I work in the Mental Health Field with adolescents that have severe emotional difficulties. It is a residential treatment center for males between the ages of 13-18.

If I had to do it over again; I would choose the same field. I LOVE GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY!

Feña14
07-23-2004, 10:30 AM
It's obvious that he can't get a job in McDonalds!!

Those jobs in London are for all the Illegal Immigrants. Trying to order a Big Mac is like a UN Conference, which is not good at all.

I know what you mean about the solitors though, I went there for Work Experience and it is so boring.

Good luck,

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-23-2004, 12:08 PM
LOL, yeah, McDonald's will take one look at my CV:

"What, no criminal record? No expulsion from multiple highschools? This kid's overqualified for us!"

Hey Liam - do you find it difficult to get (decent) practice partners in the UK? Down here in London good players are virtually impossible to come across; my friend is a solid player, but he's a pusher and he's lazy and won't play regularly.

I find myself having to pay a coach large hourly rates just to get a decent hit :x !

BTW, d'you consider yourself to have a NTRP-rating? I saw their webiste, and it's a little vague. I'd probably put myself at about 4.5, but I might get on court with a 4.5 and get wasted...

Feña14
07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Gonzalez_Forehand,

Yeah I do find it very difficult to find playing partners, I just enter tournamnets in the Midlands to get practise though I would like someone to hit with consistently.

As for the ranking, I am a UK 3.2 which is loosly based on the NTRP and that is equal to around 5.5

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
wow, cool, you'd give my @ss an emphatic whooping.

D'you get into tournaments via your club? I'd be well up for some tournament play if I could hit more often and develop some consistency. Oh, and a backhand :)

Feña14
07-23-2004, 12:52 PM
lol, my backhand is my best shot. What racket do you use?

To get into tournaments I just got a LTA membership and started with the 10.1 rating and just looked at what events were happening in my area. I emailed the person in charge and they send me entry forms and just fill 'em in and you get to play tournamnets with people of similar standards.

Once you win some matches then they move your rating down. I am playing in a ITF junior event in October though which should be funny to watch!

-Liam

david aames
07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
You're mistaken. Phil is running a Yoshinoya franchise.

http://www.yoshinoya.com/

LOL, yeah, thats probably what it'll end up coming to!

Do you flip burgers for a living? No wait a minute, you're a manager at McD's, right? You make flipping reconstituted moosebladder sound like a civic duty!

david aames
07-23-2004, 01:33 PM
It's easy to imagine you repeating them all day -- 'I'm telling you! It's a PS 6 with a paintjob.'

I work in the Mental Health Field with adolescents that have severe emotional difficulties. It is a residential treatment center for males between the ages of 13-18.

If I had to do it over again; I would choose the same field. I LOVE GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY!

Morpheus
07-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Can't tell you which one, but if you put your arms over your head and spell the word "image" and then say the word "lightbulb" you might have a strong clue.

dennis1188
07-23-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm a Director, for a international consulting company. Lots of long hours and over the years many 6-7 day work weeks. But it has been a great life with very interesting projects and opportunity to travel and see much of the world. Tennis has been a consistent element, a 'reasonable' tennis game ( I play approx. 2 times per week) allows me entry at private clubs and meeting friends .
BTW, In my 20's, I tried working in alot of different jobs and learned how to adapt to people and changing environments.
A useful basic approach to business and tennis is; i) opportunity and positioning (are you in a 'target rich' environment ?) ii) analysis (have the right choice of skills/weapons to do the job) iii) execution (closing out the point and winning the goal).
This is a big, wonderful and exciting world . Good Luck.

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-24-2004, 03:07 AM
Liam, I use a Babolat PC Team+ (no prizes for guessing on which Chilean psycho I base myself!), although I recently found a great racquet store in London which allows demos. I'll probably flirt with a good few and see if any suit my game better than the PC.

I've been recommended the Babolat PD, the PC Zylon360, and the Fischer Pro Extreme FT by various people. It's £10 per demo, so I can't really go for the scattergun-demo-anything apprach, but I'll have a dance with four or five before I make a choice - it's not urgent, I'm actually quite happy with the PC, although a bit more power might go down well.

What are you packing in your raquet bag? (and let me guess - you have a single-handed BH, right? Everyone I know whose best shot is BH has a single-hander - I mean, non pros).

Anyway, I'm glad to see some job satisfaction among you guys! I've heard horror-stories of the 7-day working weeks from various people in corporate law... That's kinda what I'm looking to avoid, unless I train with a law firm (likely) and genuinely like it (unlikely). In NY, corporate lawyers get 2 weeks holiday per year, and each employee is thoroughly expected to waive it!! :shock: EVERY YEAR!! [/quote]

Phil
07-24-2004, 05:15 AM
You're mistaken. Phil is running a Yoshinoya franchise.

http://www.yoshinoya.com/

David - I quit that gig. Once Japan banned American beef imports (due to a SINGLE mad cow) I just lost my will to serve "gyu-don".

Hey, Liam, how did they allow you to intern in a SOLICITOR'S office when you can't even SPELL the word? Must have been a lot of toilets to clean there...

Feña14
07-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Phil,

I went there beacuse my Unlce runs the firm of Solicitors, lol I made a typing error! so what? remember the time that you spelt Venezuela wrong!? :lol: hehehe.

I said the north part of S. America-Venezueala, Guyana, Paraguay, etc. Also, in C. America, Baseball is still king, last I heard.

Where is "Venezueala"? never heard of that place.

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand,

No I have a 2 handed Backhand and it is definelty my best shot, if you want to know a Pro with a 2 hander better than there forehand then look no further than Thomas Johansson, his 2 hander is awesome and Safin has a better BH than FH imo.

I want to demo but I can't as there are no shops in the Midlands who do it, and the mail order ones seem a bit dodgy. But let me know how you get on with the Pro Extreme.

-Liam

Phil
07-24-2004, 06:08 AM
You really had to go back to find that post, Liam. I'm flattered that you bookmark MY posts. You SHOULD-you may learn something.

Anyway, mine is a typo as anyone can see and yours, well, you just don't know how to spell-but not surprising since you ARE a self-admitted high school failure. High school is not so hard-and I wasn't all that much of a student, but only the real losers actually FAILED it.

Rickson
07-24-2004, 06:51 AM
I am a Phil basher.

Feña14
07-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Phil,

I didn't have to go back that far, it's just about 30 posts down from this one. What do I learn about your posts anyway?

All I seem to learn is that you like picking on little kids, you like Japanese women, you know very little about Football (soccer) and can't spell names of various South American Countries!!

It's upsetting to see grown man act in this way Phil. Anyway you can't really fail high school.

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-24-2004, 09:33 AM
No problems Liam, I'll let you know how the Fischer plays when I finally get round to demo-ing it. Unfortunately, that won't be for a while, as I fractured my foot last Tuesday playing football (soccer!) and won't be able to get back on court for the next four weeks.

And now we get some nice weather...

(scans the post for typos hoping to avoid castigation :wink: )

Feña14
07-24-2004, 09:39 AM
You don't need to check yours Gonzalez_Forehand, he only checks mine for them.

It's a pleasure trading insults with you Phil! :D

Liam V Phil Part 89645708589545765673 I suppose

-Liam

Phil
07-24-2004, 10:25 AM
All I seem to learn is that you like picking on little kids, you like Japanese women, you know very little about Football (soccer) and can't spell names of various South American Countries!!

I know all I need to know about soccer-it's euthanasia for the masses. Do you know what that means, Liam-euthanasia? I never wrote anywhere that I like Japanese women...but I do...and French, and Spanish and Italian, Scandinavian, Russian, Czech, Thai, Korean, Australian, etc., etc. Is that a problem for you?

Aonex
07-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Phil, I thought you didn't like the horsey faces?

thejerk
07-24-2004, 11:00 AM
i like women too, as a matter of fact caliente is my favorite show and i'm a photographer

Feña14
07-24-2004, 01:46 PM
I know all I need to know about soccer-it's euthanasia for the masses. Do you know what that means, Liam-euthanasia? I never wrote anywhere that I like Japanese women...but I do...and French, and Spanish and Italian, Scandinavian, Russian, Czech, Thai, Korean, Australian, etc., etc. Is that a problem for you?

Of course I know what euthanasia is. And you said that you tried to learn about football so you had something to talk to Japanese women about!! Then as Aonex said, you mentioned that they had "horsey faces". Now your saying you like them?

You seem to change your mind more than a women, or maybe you are a woman? called Phyllis!!

It's all coming out now Phyllis!

Are you loosing your memory in your older age Grandad or is it Grandma? :lol:

-Liam

Aonex
07-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh, that was referring to Eastern European women. Phil thinks they're horsey faces.

tennisnj
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
My favorite quote upon completing my undergraduate work was "I'm glad I got an archaeology degree so I could teach tennis." & that's right, I have my BA & not once have I ever used it while teaching tennis. Tennis instruction is my night, weekend, & summer job, currently I'm a Middle School Special Education teacher & the H.S's girls (fall) & boys (Spring) tennis coach...

Steve Huff
07-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I am a retired RN. It's a great field, and ALWAYS in demand. I retired due to having a transplant myself. I don't know what the market is like in Europe, but in the US, there is a projected half million nurse shortage in the next 5 years. Is that good? Well, if you're an RN it is. My wife is also an RN. She's been an RN for 22 years now, and still loves it. Advantages: 1) you can make a difference in someone's life every day you work. 2) you can live virtually anywhere. Almost every city or town has a hospital. 3) you can move around as much as you want. I've moved from Tulsa, OK to Farmington, NM to Fresno, CA to Sacramento to Charlottesville, VA to Richmond, VA, and never paid for a move. Some nurses work as TravelNurses. They take 13 to 26 week assignments. They normally get their housing paid. They can choose their assignments, stay as many periods as they want, and get great pay 4) very good pay. Maybe not as much as the CEO, but still, nurses START at $50-70,000 in most cities. Inner city LA or NY may be more, plus they usually pay a $5-10,000 signing bonus (1 year contract). With the oncoming shortage, I'd say salaries will go up. 5) Scheduling--many places offer self-scheduling. When I was at UCD in Sacramento, my wife and I took 7 or 8 days in a row off EVERY month without using vacation. We worked 3 12-hr shifts. We'd work the first 3 one week and the last 3 the next week. 6) Men do very well in nursing. Most men are very good, or very bad--not much in between. If good, you're in high demand. Afterall, there is a lot of physical work in nursing. Need any more reasons? Let me know.

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the info, Steve, all I can say to that is "How do I get a Green Card?!"

Nurses, although still in shortage in the UK, are treated notoriously badly - our National Health Service is an inefficient mess and it's the workers who pay the price.

My mother works reception at a medical centre and tells me that both doctors and nurses are overrun, and while doctors' salaries are high, nurses get the sh*t end of the stick.

Damn it I should have been born in the US! It's funny how most - if not all - of you guys in the US are/were very happy with your jobs, while everyone I talk to in England whinges and *****es about their job/life!! This country is depressing!

Feña14
07-25-2004, 04:25 AM
Yeah everyone goes mad about there jobs here, but it seems that most Americans are happy with there's. Which I think is really good, you have a job so you may aswell enjoy it.

And Gonzalez_Forehand, if you were born in America you would get a job you liked and cheaper tennis stuff!!! The prices here are about double the prices that you guys have to pay!

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Tell me about it! Prices here are crazy, choice is awful - I only know of two shops in the whole of London who stock players' racquets.

And clothing as well - the current Nike range is not available anywhere in London (not even Niketown!), and you can't even order them off TW, as Nike have a ban on international shipping of their products :x

I was lucky enough to get hold of my Babolat PC team+ for £75 though, which I thought was quite impressive for London rates.

Accessibility to tennis facilities is similarly bad down here (don't suppose it's any better in the Midlands?) - I have to travel for 1.5hours just to get to some indoor courts, for which one pays up to £19 per hour! Luckily, they're kind to students, so it's £8 off peak, and £12 peak for me. Still kills my student loan though.

And they wonder why Henman has no apparent successor...

Feña14
07-25-2004, 11:04 AM
I have to go 90 minutes to get to a decent club and that doesn't even have any good people of my age.

I'm not a member of a club, I just play tournaments and I find it really difficult to find people to play with. No juniors around here. It's really difficult for kids who want to play tennis in England.

Everything is against us really, the attitude towards juniors at clubs is really poor and everything is so expensive. Aswell as travelling 90 minutes to find a decent club! Not good at all.

-Liam

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, sounds just like London. I used to be a member of a local club, but the seniors always had priority - and the "coaching" was a joke. They'd just say "this is how to hit a forehand" and make you hit the most rudimentary flat frying-pan eastern nothing-shot - I developed a western FH entirely independent of any instructor. Since then, my FH has become my biggest weapon by a long, long way.

I spent the last year living in Paris as part of my uni course, and I can tell you, the facilities there are superb. There are courts everywhere, and they are cheap, and priority is given to kids - kids get Wednesdays off school just to develop their sports skills - it's like "sports day" once a week! And the coaches actually know what they're talking about - they get their kids rallying consistently from the back of the court, and the western topspin FH is the bread-and-butter shot - it's what they all learn first. No frying-pan nonsense.

How old are you, Liam?

Feña14
07-25-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm 17 and the facilities in Spain are also very good, I played in Spain for 2 years and your correct in saying that other countries know what they are on about. They train you really hard and i'm sure that's what helped even though I have never had a lesson in my life of 14 of playing. They focus on fitness there.

-Liam

Coda
07-25-2004, 06:07 PM
this is why Great Britain sucks (no offense) when it comes to getting pros to do any good on the tour...just to rub it in I only have to drive 10 minutes to play quality matches lol.

David Pavlich
07-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Steve: RN?! My wife's a RN...but she left the "bedside" thing years ago. She's a research nurse, more specifically, she's a monitor for a CRO (lead CRA) that's in the midst of a trial for congestive heart failure in African/Americans.

Yea, you right! Becoming a RN is a great career and will be in demand until diseases are cured like it's done on Star Trek!

And to answer the initial question, I own a tennis shop.

David

Coda
07-25-2004, 07:17 PM
ahh David has a great job! David, do you find yourself torn between trying to sell technology filled rackets and trying not to rip off your customers?

Steve Huff
07-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Why should he? Technology isn't all bad. There are rackets, new and old, made for certain types of players. A shop owner's best asset is his ability to match those things up.

PHSTennis
07-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I string tennis racquets..

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Owning a tennis shop sounds cool! But it'd have to be in the US because hardly anyone playes tennis here for 50 weeks in the year. And for the Wimbledon fortnight, the nation goes tennis-mad, and then it disappears off the map for the next 50 weeks. It so sucks.

Hey Liam, you weren't at Sanchez-Casal were you? I'd have loved to go there when I was a kid. I'd still love to go there now, but I'd only ever get there in a toilet-cleaning capacity!

I think it's clear that the US is certainly the place to live if you want to enjoy tennis for more than two weeks every year. I am quite jealous of all the facilities you guys have at your disposal! I could probably move the the US in a few years, but that means I'd need corporate sponsorship and that means being a lawyer (yuk). And therefore never seeing daylight.

Feña14
07-26-2004, 12:06 PM
I haven't even heard of Sanchez-Casal :oops: , I went to Equelite in Valencia though which is run by Ferrero and I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times. He's a Top bloke.

-Liam

norcal
07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Phil wrote: Do you know what that means, Liam-euthanasia? I'm not Liam but I'll take a guess: Little kids in China?

David Pavlich
07-26-2004, 08:01 PM
ahh David has a great job! David, do you find yourself torn between trying to sell technology filled rackets and trying not to rip off your customers?

It is fun. I'm a people person and truly enjoy the contact. I've made some wonderful acquaintances and a couple of new friends. I played more tennis BEFORE I owned a shop, but as any small business owner will tell you, it's a lot of hours.

As far as the technology thing, it's unavoidable. As new stuff hits the market, there is a demand. People are curious and because I am fortunate to live in a small but quite wealthy area of the country, there are a lot of people with disposable income. I could be a stalwart and stock POG's (I do stock the POG MP) and Wilson Pete Sampras racquets, but this is a very small fraction of the buying public and truthfully, I'd already be out of business.

The vast majority of my customers are 2.5 to 4.0 in men and women. Most of these people aren't interested in playing with anything more than 11 ounces with most looking for frames less than 11 oz.

My business will be 2 years old on 29 July, so it's still in its infancy. I can't afford to stock "old" technology when the demand is for the new stuff. As soon as frames hit Tennis Magazine or something looks different in the hands of a pro on the tour, I get phone calls...but the calls aren't for TiRadicals or TT Graphites. My calls are for NXGs, Liquid Metal, PDs (after every slam), nCodes and so on.

All I can do is describe the technology and the theories behind the technology, let the customer demo and decide. At times, I'm asked what I play with, what string and so on. I think I disappoint them when I tell them it's either a POG OS or a DB800, both strung with Prince Syn w/duraflex 18 gauge...nothing exotic.

I do my best not to prejudice anyone as far as brand go, even though I play with Prince. I don't have the time to demo everything myself, although I don't know how much faith I'd put in a 52 year old hacker, so I can't tell people what many of the frames are like other than the reactions I've received from other demoees (is that a word?). Many customers do a lot of research, which helps in cutting down the number of frames they wish to demo. However, research only goes so far and what it's done for me is to allow me to show the customer that I have done my homework by answering questions that may not have been answered in their research.

The long and short of it is, no, I don't feel any angst about the new technology. People like it and demand it. Look at what it's done for the automobile. A Z06 Corvette can do o-60 in 4.1 seconds, yet it is capable of 25 mpg (if you can keep your foot out of it). The badest 'Vette of the late 60's and early 70's couldn't come close and got about 12 mpg.

Truth be known, I think it does nothing but help the tennis playing public. It wasn't that many years ago that a 60 year old lady that couldn't bench press 30 lbs had to swing a 12.5 ounce woodie. Now, this same lady can go out and actually give the ball a ride, and that's a good thing.

My apologies for becoming long winded.

David

Coda
07-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I've never thought that you can't really afford to just stock old rackets...thanks for the insight.

Phil
07-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Norcal wrote:
I'm not Liam but I'll take a guess: Little kids in China?

Oh, a wise guy, eh;-)

David - Good post. I would have responded to the "rip-off" question with less, ahh...diplomatic tact. Some people need to learn what it's like to actually own a business and deal with things like OVERHEAD. Your post is a pretty solid overview of that process.

Coda
07-26-2004, 11:18 PM
sorry Phil, I just don't have all the life experience you have...I'm only 17 so I have some time to learn these things and become tactless like you.

Phil
07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
You have time, Coda, but that doesn't mean you WILL. Maybe, if you're lucky...

Coda
07-27-2004, 12:03 AM
why would I want to become like you? I'm not that stupid of a person to aspire to such great heights.

Phil
07-27-2004, 12:16 AM
You just said above that that's what you want to do, and, really, I don't blame you. Good luck, son.

crosscourt
07-27-2004, 12:49 AM
G-F -- you're right about the hours in corporate law. They are long and if you want to stay in it forever you have to love your client's business. But you don't have to stay in if forever and what you can learn is invaluable, if you train in the right place.

Whereabouts in London are you that you are having difficulty in finding someone to hit with?

@wright
07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Phil, I didn't know you were into Asian women...are they attracted to egotistical, self-righteous morons? If not, you still have a chance- you're American. To answer the question, I work in the sales department of a television station.

Phil
07-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Phil, I didn't know you were into Asian women...are they attracted to egotistical, self-righteous morons?

Probably not any more than women from other countries, which is probably why you've got a permanent date throttlin' thou chicken.

@wright
07-28-2004, 08:14 AM
I guess I overestimated you, I thought you'd have a stronger reply than that. I'm very dissappointed, Phillip, has Deuce's absence from the boards weakened your ability to be an ass? You really should get a new sparring partner, Liam isn't quite down on your level.

Gonzalez_Forehand
07-28-2004, 10:40 AM
crosscourt,

I used to be a member of a local club in Harrow, but now I play at a place called the Westway Sports Centre near Shepherds Bush. I used to hit quite a lot with my brother, but he's a first year trainee with a City firm, and is therefore unable to play regularly...

They have organised matches and hits at Westway, and I sometimes get individual coaching as well (although it's seriously pricey). It's a pretty good sports centre (has indoor courts), and student rates are comparatively good.

I spotted on your profile that you too are a lawyer - where do you practice?

crosscourt
07-28-2004, 01:08 PM
GF -- I practice in London and play at Paddington Tennis club in Maida Vale

Phil
07-28-2004, 05:19 PM
No, @wright, Liam isn't at my level and neither are you. Go back to bed...your sister's calling you.

Morpheus
07-30-2004, 04:39 PM
I've seen his sister and she's fantastic if you don't mind stubble. :oops:

@wright
08-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Thanks for agreeing with me that Liam is above your level. Jackass. Phil and Morpheus, you seem to agree with each other a little too much, could it be that you are actually either the same person, or maybe "united" as life partners? You two are really from Mass. aren't you?

Morpheus
08-02-2004, 04:35 PM
@wright, I ain't he and he ain't me. Truthfully, though, I don't know what you would do if you didn't have Phil around. Good can't exist without evil; ying without yang; id without superego; so its only natural that you would seek to define yourself through Phil.

A good line is a good line and I couldn't resist the one about your sister, even if I didn't mean it literally. Jeez, I hope I wasn't spot on with that stubble remark. :oops:

david aames
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
You might want to put to rest the homophobic jokes, awright. Those along with the burger flipping ones are more than tired and were not even funny in the first place.

could it be that you are actually either the same person, or maybe "united" as life partners? You two are really from Mass. aren't you?

@wright
08-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Well Morph, I can't help but notice how you ALWAYS agree with Phil. If you think anyone is listening to your pseudo-psychological analysis, you need to get over yourself. Why do you never fail to jump in with your own remarks whenever I post? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. Aames, what's the matter, are some of your best friends on the wrong end of the food-service industry? You are not one to talk either, with your constant ridicule of a 17 year old. Pick on someone your own size, tough guy.

eason40
08-03-2004, 10:19 AM
I've been a software engineer for about 14 years now. I still like it. The pay is great and work is usually interesting. The hours are usually not too bad and there's plenty of opportunities for advancement, if you work hard. It's a good job also if you want to have a life outside of work, as long as you pick the right company to work for.

Rackethead
08-07-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm in Princeton NJ working as a software manager and there is a lot of opportunity for tennis here. In winter I usually play indoors at Rutgers U. with the students there (alumni pass) and in summer there is our condo courts, Princeton courts, Mercer county park courts, all within about 10 minutes. My previous tennis instructor lived in the same complex and she used to be a satellite pro -- my 2 door away neighbour used to be one of the top 5 in Ukraine (no idea what the ratings are there though).

Rackethead
08-07-2004, 10:35 PM
I forgot to mention about my job -- the salary is reasonable (over 6 figures after bonus) but the downside is that the housing is so expensive here and cost of living that I have never actually gotten around to ever buying any furniture -- most of our stuff was inherited, donated by relatives, or picked out of the garbage from the housing complex I used to live in LOL.

Morpheus
08-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Well Morph, I can't help but notice how you ALWAYS agree with Phil. If you think anyone is listening to your pseudo-psychological analysis, you need to get over yourself. Why do you never fail to jump in with your own remarks whenever I post? .

@wright...I only appear to be on Phil's side of late because of the political topics--Phil and I appear to be of like mind in this area. If you were more liberally minded, we'd be feeling some kinship right now (there's still time if you wish to see the light). Believe me, there are plenty of times where Phil and I have tangled and he's ****ed me off, but not recently. That's how it goes.

Let's see, you have about 2000 posts and I've been in on maybe 10 of them. I make one snide comment about your sister, playing off some hate mail between you and Phil, and all of a sudden you think I'm out to get you. Come on, where's your sense of humor?

kevhen
08-13-2004, 11:31 AM
I went to school to be a software/electrical engineer and then wrote software for awhile. Now I do more software support than coding but it still pays decent. We work more hours in the US, be we probably do like our jobs better too. There is probably more variety of things to do here.

katarddx
08-18-2004, 06:53 PM
I married well...