PDA

View Full Version : Should I not go down to a lighter racquet?

TopJunior56
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey guys,
My name is Grant Petersen and I am a top junior in the state playing with a western grip from the baseline (most of the time). The stick im using is the flexpoint radical tour, but the racquet has killed my groundis and serves due to the 12 ounce weight. I was wondering, should I switch to a lighter racquet? My choises would the Babolat Pure Drive cortex, The M-Fil 300, or the nBlade. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:D

Swissv2
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
First of all, has your coach said anything?

TopJunior56
08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Ya, he said i should probably switch, he didnt say what racquet though.

TN1
08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,
My name is Grant Petersen and I am a top junior in the state playing with a western grip from the baseline (most of the time). The stick im using is the flexpoint radical tour, but the racquet has killed my groundis and serves due to the 12 ounce weight. I was wondering, should I switch to a lighter racquet? My choises would the Babolat Pure Drive cortex, The M-Fil 300, or the nBlade. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:D

How long have you been playing with the tour? It maybe you just need some time to grow into the racquet.

Also, I switched from a 365 gram PT280 OS to a lighter racquet, the nBlade. It was great move IMO. Every shot is alot less demanding now and I can play defensive! :) Even with the light weight the nBlade can pack a punch too. You should demo away and see what works best for you.

tempura_MAKI
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
the cortex is a nice racquet that would probably improve ground/serve compared to the flexpoint... but im surprised your flexpoint is killing your serves... well I guess you didnt suggest in what way it was.

travlerajm
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think the weight is what is hurting you. Why don't you try a more spin friendly 12-oz stick like the O3 Tour mid or the NXG OS? If you go lighter you are giving up some advantages.

Kevo
08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Strange, I just posted a similar question in another thread. Did it kill your groundies because they are falling short now, or is it something else?

TopJunior56
08-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, to clarify, the racquets killed my groundies because I was always late on my shots and my timing on my serve was horrific. But thanks for all the info:)

newnuse
08-16-2006, 12:26 AM
How long have you been using it? What did you use prior to switching?

What age are you?

equinox
08-16-2006, 04:42 AM
That's one of the drawbacks of using a heavy racket like the pog os. I've found for bh returns i must prepare very early or i'll hit it late dtl.

If you're late on most groundies, then you should work on your footwork and racket preparation.

jonolau
08-16-2006, 06:42 AM
That's one of the drawbacks of using a heavy racket like the pog os. I've found for bh returns i must prepare very early or i'll hit it late dtl.

If you're late on most groundies, then you should work on your footwork and racket preparation.
My exact thoughts.

Redflea
08-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Ya, he said i should probably switch, he didnt say what racquet though.

I'd go w/the advice of your coach over what you hear from any of us experts on your game here. :) I assume you are going to demo before purchasing...and that when you demo you'll hit w/your coach or someone who can push you to ensure that you are able to use the new racquet well when under pressure.

As for the racquets you mention, I just adopted the M-Fil 300, and am really enjoying it quite a lot. Great at the net, good control/power balance on the groundies, serves really well w/out a lot of effort. Very solid feel, and easy access to spin if you want it. Nice part about racquet in its weight range (10.9) is that you have options to lead it up if you want to - I have mine at 11.5 oz. And at the $99 price, the value is amazing.

ace of spades
08-16-2006, 07:16 AM
topjunior I was in the same position as you until recently. I was using a lm prestige mp (with a leather grip, I have a thing for leather), and I was always hitting late on my groundies and my serve was off because I had bad timing (although when i timed it right, it was a nice serve). But I still played well and competitively until my coach suggested something lighter. He didnt say what stick, but from the reviews and advice on this board I chose the bab pure storm team and I feel I made a really good choice. (I can also lead up some if I feel its too light)

fx101
08-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Oh well, I was second in the state up till a few months ago but here goes. I hit extreme western like 3 feet from the baseline with a windshield wiper stroke and use a Prince Tour NXG which weighs a lot more than that. You have to adapt your stroke and build upper arm strength to use a heavier racket. But the major benefit is consistency since the power of the stroke comes from the inertia of the racket.:cool:

Master Trader
08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Strengthen your shoulders and you should be able to handle the extra heft of the Flexpoint Radical Tour.

bertrevert
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Being young why not experiment a bit during any off-season moment you have, I mean you're going to have to find out somehow. Your coach's advice was non-committal (he didn't name a racquet) for a reason. Racquet choice is a difficult ongoing path you must explore. You don't want to flip-flop about because your game may fall apart, but for example I always try to stick with a racquet choice for about a year at least.

You are using the Rad Tour. Well that's specifically a bit heavier. How about using just a normal Rad FXP?