PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Tour vs. Wilson ncode nPro Open?

Schnickle
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I know, another racquet comparison question. I'll make it simple:

I'm a 4.5+ player who likes power but can easily mix & match between spin, slice & hard hitting. I have used the original Wilson Pro Staff (Sampras/Edberg racquet) for 15+ years. After recently demo-ing both the Prince O3 Tour midsize & the Wilson ncode nPro Open midsize, I was leaning towards the Prince because of its smooth feel and versatility. I found the Wilson to have nice feel & control, but it was a little too much like my current ProStaff.

Anybody have any input between these 2 racquets or would they like to make another suggestion?

Much appreciated!!!!

tennis_hand
08-14-2006, 05:08 PM
nPro Open is mid plus with 100inch head size.

It is basically the previous surge with 6 grams heavier but painted differently, well, for marketing causes, in order to seperate from the nPro 98.

Davai
08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I think you are comparing different class rackets. Try comparing the O3 Tour with the N6.1 95 and the Npro Open with a O3 White or PD. Your current comparison is still tough - the O3 Tour Mid looked really nice but the nPro is the softer PD.

snoflewis
08-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I know, another racquet comparison question. I'll make it simple:

I'm a 4.5+ player who likes power but can easily mix & match between spin, slice & hard hitting. I have used the original Wilson Pro Staff (Sampras/Edberg racquet) for 15+ years. After recently demo-ing both the Prince O3 Tour midsize & the Wilson ncode nPro Open midsize, I was leaning towards the Prince because of its smooth feel and versatility. I found the Wilson to have nice feel & control, but it was a little too much like my current ProStaff.

Anybody have any input between these 2 racquets or would they like to make another suggestion?

Much appreciated!!!!

are you sure you're not comparing the 03 tour midsize to the n6.1 tour 90 midsize? if you're going to stick to midsize rackets, you should also try the diablo tour and rds001

Noveson
08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking the Npro Open is a little bit powerful for you. Especially a 4.5 and up, of course if you like it who am I to judge:)

oldguysrule
08-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I am a 4.0 that used the 6.0 85 for about 16 years. Most of those years were very casual, occasional games. When I started playing more competitive games again about 2 years ago, I decided to get a more "user-friendly" racquet. Since I hate demoing and change, I opted for the 6.0 95. Some will tell you that this racquet is nothing like the 85...in some respects it isn't = easier to swing, bigger sweetspot, more power, more spin. But in some ways it is similar = relatively heavy, headlight, sweet feel...perfect all court racquet. In short, it was a very easy transition.

Earlier this year I started thinking that maybe I needed a more modern racquet. The O3 tour and NPro Open were two of the racquets I tried as well as the O3 White, Radical FP, Bab PC, Bab PD, N6.1 95 and 90, Volkl C10 and Gen II, and PK 5g. The O3 White was tempting but didn't offer enough to make me want to switch.

You should give the 6.0 95 a try before you make a final decision.

Noveson
08-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Try both the Pure Drives and the Aero Drives. They are both great racquets, and they will satisfy your power and spin needs:)

Schnickle
08-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback and the racquet suggestions. All very helpful!!

Some quick comments/questions:
a) I did demo the nSix-One Tour 90 and Babolat Pure Drive, but chose these 2 arbitrarily so they may not match up correctly in the same clase.
b) To answer oldguysrule question, which racquet or link is the 6.0 95?
c) Any thoughts about the Wilson nSix-One 95 nCode or Yonex RDS 001 Racquet? They both look good.

TopJunior56
08-15-2006, 08:23 PM
With my experience, the o3 is a way better raquet.

oldguysrule
08-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback and the racquet suggestions. All very helpful!!

a) I did demo the nSix-One Tour 90 and Babolat Pure Drive, but chose these 2 arbitrarily so they may not match up correctly in the same clase.
c) Any thoughts about the Wilson nSix-One 95 nCode or Yonex RDS 001 Racquet? They both look good.

The only place to demo or buy the ProStaff 6.0 95 is here at TW. Here is the link to the despcription and specs.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-60.html

It is a little lighter and has a larger head than the 85 (obviously). I like it much better than the n6.1 90 and 95 racquets. However, the n6.1 95 is a very popular choice.

Steve Huff
08-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Depends on how much weight you're comfortable with. I think the O3 Tour felt much better with some weight added to the head, but, when you add weight, you can easily get the racket up in the 12.5+ oz range. That was a little more than I could swing for my shoulder's sake, but it hit nice at that weight. Stock, I think it's a little too headlight.

Roger_federer
08-15-2006, 08:42 PM
I am a 4.0 that used the 6.0 85 for about 16 years. Most of those years were very casual, occasional games. When I started playing more competitive games again about 2 years ago, I decided to get a more "user-friendly" racquet. Since I hate demoing and change, I opted for the 6.0 95. Some will tell you that this racquet is nothing like the 85...in some respects it isn't = easier to swing, bigger sweetspot, more power, more spin. But in some ways it is similar = relatively heavy, headlight, sweet feel...perfect all court racquet. In short, it was a very easy transition.

Earlier this year I started thinking that maybe I needed a more modern racquet. The O3 tour and NPro Open were two of the racquets I tried as well as the O3 White, Radical FP, Bab PC, Bab PD, N6.1 95 and 90, Volkl C10 and Gen II, and PK 5g. The O3 White was tempting but didn't offer enough to make me want to switch.

You should give the 6.0 95 a try before you make a final decision.

What did you tihnk of the Babolat Pure Drive from the Wilson's

oldguysrule
08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
What did you tihnk of the Babolat Pure Drive from the Wilson's

More powerful and stiffer, as everyone knows. I had fun playing with it because it is easier to generate pace and spin than my racquet. However, it did aggravate my elbow so I can't use it on a regular basis. Plus, it doesn't have the same kind of solid feel as the 6.0 95. To summarize, groundstrokes were easier to hit and had more spin potential (but I don't stay on the baseline for very long). Volleys were surprisingly good but not as much depth control as the PS. I wasn't playing a real hard hitter but it seemed to be more stable and solid on volleys than what I expected. Serves had more pace potential, but not as much accuracy for me. i could probably work that out though. I also didn't like the wider beam, but that is being picky. Hope this helps.

match44
09-05-2006, 02:14 AM

I recently started playing seriously again and borrowed an old PS 95 18x20 from a friend. Amazing racket, very solid and soft and control. It weighs 375 gram strung, is purple with American Flag. I demoed O3 tour 100, PS 6.1 95, and RDS001 98 extensively and compared to the old PS. I found the O3 tour less solid, less control and the ball somewhat jumping off the strings, but with an amazing spin and sweetspot. Slices were wonderfull.

The PS 6.1 95 was somewhat less control, better maneuverability at net, but quite harsh when not hitting the sweetspot. Not as sweet as the old PS. I think it has to do with the tubular throat, which is rectangular on the old PS. Seemed not a nice reacquet for the elbow/shoulder in the long run.

I demoed the RDS001 98 for several practice sessions and games, and the feel is very comparable to the old PS. It's sweet feeling, very good control, somewhat more pingy but also somewhat more flexible when hitting hard, which I like. The strange thing is that I don't really feel much difference in playing as with the old PS. I can pick up one or the other and just play on without alsmost any adjustment in strokes. But the RDS001 is 325 g and the PS is 375 g. Bugs me.
I am on the verge of buying two RDS001's. Seems like a 2006 version of the old PS. And I can still add a lot of weight before reaching 375 g's...