PDA

View Full Version : Liquidmetal frame cracking

LoveThisGame
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Has anyone experienced frame breakage in the shoulder at about 2 o'clock?

Today I was stringing a LM Radical OS at 1# over mid-tension, when I heard a faint cracking noise when I pulled tension on the last main. I thought at first it was the grommet barrel at the throat end fighting to overcome my thumb pressure holding it in, but I could find nothing in that area. Later on I noticed the aforementioned crack.

This was the second stringing of the frame. The first was factory strung or where bought. The frame arrived having very low tension.

snoflewis
08-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Has anyone experienced frame breakage in the shoulder at about 2 o'clock?

Today I was stringing a LM Radical OS at 1# over mid-tension, when I heard a faint cracking noise when I pulled tension on the last main. I thought at first it was the grommet barrel at the throat end fighting to overcome my thumb pressure holding it in, but I could find nothing in that area. Later on I noticed the aforementioned crack.

This was the second stringing of the frame. The first was factory strung or where bought. The frame arrived having very low tension.

if the racket was only on its second string job, chances are, it's your fault. all racket can break during stringing, and LM rackets (particularly the instinct) have been reported here for cracking, but you might want to check how you mount your racket. also, what kind of machine were you stringing on?

M1KE
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
My LM Radical MP cracked at 3 o'clock when I dropped it, so now I've been playing with my cheap back-up. :(

phat
08-14-2006, 09:05 PM
My LM prestige was cracked at the 4 o'clock after 10 hours of hitting (it was cracked when I framed a forehand!!). To me head is all about gimmicks and advertisement these days..... After that I switched to babolat aeropro control.

snoflewis
08-14-2006, 09:58 PM
breaking a frame from playing and breaking a frame from stringing has its differences. framing a shot and breaking the racket is most likely a defect, while a frame break during stringing would probably be the stringer's error.

to the OP, did you string two piece? if so, did you string the crosses top-down or bottom-up?

Swissv2
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
same thing happened to fellow USPTA coach that I hit with. He takes care of his frames, but his liquid metal cracked.

Davai
08-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Chances are it wasn't your fault. It sounds like the frame had already fatigue on it. Send it back you'll probably get a replacement or go to where you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

snoflewis
08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Chances are it wasn't your fault. It sounds like the frame had already fatigue on it. Send it back you'll probably get a replacement or go to where you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

frame was strung twice...the first time at low tension. i don't think the frame saw too much stress.

Davai
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
frame was strung twice...the first time at low tension. i don't think the frame saw too much stress.

That's is why it shouldn't have cracked.

snoflewis
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
It sounds like the frame had already fatigue on it.

first of all, there wasnt much stress on the frame like i stated earlier...so yes, it shouldn't have cracked, unless it's defective. a bit unclear imo.

also, if a frame is cracked from stringing, manufacturers will most likely reject your claim.
as for the racket itself, there's not enough info from the OP...he hasnt said anything about how he strung the frame....so there's not much anyone can do unless there are more details.

LoveThisGame
08-15-2006, 10:09 AM
The frame ARRIVED with low tension; I don't know what tension it was first strung at. The first stringing, with Head Syn Gut 16, might well have been factory strung. (I've seen a lot of extremely high tensioned factory strung frames of late.) Stringmeter showed about 35# when I got it. I can't speak for whether it had exposure(s) to heat in a "sealed up" car on our hot days, but we have had some 95 degree days. The racquet belongs to a slightly built HS sophomore female, so normal hitting is not likely a factor. The racquet did not appear abused.

I strung it on an Ektelon H. The crack occurred when tensioning the outmost main string (IOW, no cross strings at that point). I strung it at midpoint + 1# tension. That machine and I have strung tens of thousands of frames since 1984. It has fresh clamps and two-year old glide bars. I've been a Certified Stringer since 1986 and MRT since 2000. Mistakes are always possible no matter what, but I don't believe I made any here.

The only other tennis frame I remember breaking while stringing was a Volkl Catapult 2, Gen. II which cracked at the throat end of the side catapult despite low tension. I obtained a warranty replacement for that one. The above frame was purchased elsewhere, so I sent the owner back there.

radon8
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
All of my LM Mids cracked. I can't figure it out, seems like every time I tossed one, the darn thing cracked! Why is it I see pros bouncing racquets all the time, sometimes several times a match, and the first time I bounce one it cracks? I think Head needs to put the same 'anti-crack' technology in retail racquets that they put in 'Pro' sticks...