PDA

View Full Version : Lighter frame for better depth control?

Kevo
08-14-2006, 06:06 PM
I have been struggling again with shots going long. I play an RDX 500 mid weighted up to 13oz. For a few months the extra weight has been quite beneficial. I have been having excellent control and power. In the last couple of weeks I've been spending some time regularly with a ball machine, and I've noticed in practice and in matches that when I really go for a shot I am starting to consistently hit the ball about a foot long. The directional accuracy is still quite good though. I am wondering if I have shot myself in the foot with the weight. It seems it worked well when it was enough to slow my swing down a bit. Now that I've gotten used to it, I seem to be heading back to where I was before, never being able to really rip anything because of the unwanted depth. I've also noticed that the back of my shoulder gets a little sore from hitting a lot of 1 handers. I'm thinking that going to a lighter frame may help. It seems that if the frame is light enough that power is actually reduced, and you can still swing as fast as you want. I notice that my depth control is better with my wife's 10oz. frame. I'm not sure how it would feel against someone that hits as hard as I do, but it seems like it might solve the inability to control depth when hitting out.

Has anyone switched to a lighter frame and gotten better depth control?

onkystomper
08-15-2006, 01:34 AM
You have a few options.

1) Work on technique and use more spin to keep the ball in play.

2) Go for a lighter frame which in theory should help a bit but if 1) is not good enough you will have the same problem

3) Use a really low powered frame (M-speed 98) You will not be hitting much long wit that but can still get the pop from a full swing

Kevo
08-15-2006, 05:11 AM
I tend not to like to hit with a ton of spin. I can hit with a ton off my forehand, but my 1 hander can't manage but about half what I can get on my forehand. So what happens is I end up with a spin imbalance. I hit my forehand really hard with a lot of spin, and then I hit a beautiful medium spin 1 hander than just goes about a foot or so long. I like to use my backhand as a weapon, but lately I've been having trouble keeping it in unless I really lay off. Then it's just a rally shot and my game is not nearly as effective. I think I could get more spin on it with a lighter frame since it will be easier to lift the head of the racquet from low to high while swinging fast. With the heavier frames it takes longer to raise the head up during a swing and I have to slow down a bit to get maximum spin.

travlerajm
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I tend not to like to hit with a ton of spin. I can hit with a ton off my forehand, but my 1 hander can't manage but about half what I can get on my forehand. So what happens is I end up with a spin imbalance. I hit my forehand really hard with a lot of spin, and then I hit a beautiful medium spin 1 hander than just goes about a foot or so long. I like to use my backhand as a weapon, but lately I've been having trouble keeping it in unless I really lay off. Then it's just a rally shot and my game is not nearly as effective. I think I could get more spin on it with a lighter frame since it will be easier to lift the head of the racquet from low to high while swinging fast. With the heavier frames it takes longer to raise the head up during a swing and I have to slow down a bit to get maximum spin.

Kevo,
It sounds like you are generally happy with your racquet, but you just want less power. Try stringing 5 lbs tighter. This will give improve your depth control, and give you even better directional control. It might be a little less spin, but from the way you describe your game I think it will be a good option. Also, avoid poly string, since they give less bite than other strings at high tension.

Also, a lighter frame will reduce the ratio of your racquet's momentum to the ball's momentum, giving you LESS depth control against high speed incoming balls.

Kevo
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
I've tried stringing higher, and it works to some degree, but I have to use poly as it is and anything higher than 62lbs is really tough on the arm. If I use a syn gut at 62, it is softer but they just don't last very long. Maybe about 6-8 hours. I actually broke my poly this weekend at a tournament and it only had about 10 hours on it. It normally lasts about twice that. It was very hot though so maybe that had something to do with.

Kevo
08-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Also, a lighter frame will reduce the ratio of your racquet's momentum to the ball's momentum, giving you LESS depth control against high speed incoming balls.

That would that also mean less depth wouldn't it. I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of precision in depth if that means less depth overall.

NoBadMojo
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
spin the ball ever so slightly more

travlerajm
08-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Kevo,

Have you ever tried a Kevlar hybrid? I think you might like it better than you think. At high tension, a Kevlar hybrid will give a better spin-to-power ratio than a standard nylon multi. It will give less power at the same tension. The best part about Kevlar is that you can go for months between stringjobs - a real money saver. The feel is slightly different, but the playability and control are IMO underrated. With a poly, the stringbed responds less predictably with more spin in the center of the stringbed compared to near the tip or near the throat. But with Kevlar, the spin is about the same over the whole stringbed - an often overlooked advantage.

Punisha
08-16-2006, 01:10 AM
i have to totally agree x 100 :P Kevlar is just so consistant and spin friendly. It is also low powered so u can string low and get the pocketing of the ball without it shooting long. Anyway i highly recomend it!

phat
08-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Kevo, you did not mention how you weigh your racquet. If you have weights in the head, you should remove them and keep those in the handle. This will shift the balance to more head light and will put less weight into the ball=less power = more control with you depths control.

NoBadMojo
08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
no offense,but if the dudes only problem is he is occassionally hitting a foot long, he has a good problem.....should be a quick adjustment..just spin the ball ever so slightly more or if he doesnt know how to do that, string one or two pounds tighter..no need to get carried away with a bunch of theorum here

Offshore
08-16-2006, 06:29 AM
no offense,but if the dudes only problem is he is occassionally hitting a foot long, he has a good problem.....should be a quick adjustment..just spin the ball ever so slightly more or if he doesnt know how to do that, string one or two pounds tighter..no need to get carried away with a bunch of theorum here

Exactly. Whenever I have that problem - with either a new frame or string job the solution is pretty much always tension or add'l spin technique. Like NBM indicated; this is not a bad problem to have